Need Cisco VPN advice for connecting two offices

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Corbin O'Reilly, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. Hello. I have a client that currently uses a Cisco VPN 3005 concentrator.
    Remote employees use the Cisco VPN client to connect to the concentrator and
    access servers on the company's LAN. They have been using this setup for
    many years and it works great. My client has recently purchased another
    company 3,000 miles away. This second company accesses the Internet via DSL
    and does have a range of available public IPs. They currently have no remote
    employees but that will soon change. My client would like to setup a VPN
    solution at the second company that is similar to the parent company. They
    will be adding remote employees and want those remote employees to be able
    to VPN in just like the parent company's employees do. Also, in the near
    future, they would like to do a site-to-site VPN between the two companies.
    They have not bought Cisco VPN hardware in many years so my primary question
    is what should they purchase for the second company. Like I said earlier
    they want to accomplish two things:

    1. Remote employees of the second company should be able to VPN in and
    access servers on the second company's network.
    2. The new Cisco VPN appliance in the second office will need to be linked
    to the current Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator at the parent company.

    Could someone please give me some advice on what Cisco appliance to purchase
    in order to accomplish this? The second company will consist of about 20
    employees and a few remote employees.
    Thanks for the help.

    Corbin O'Reilly, Sep 9, 2008

  2. Hey Artie. Will the Cisco ASA 55XX also support the traditional Cisco
    Windows VPN client? The parent company has been using the Cisco Windows VPN
    client for IPSEC connectivity for many years and it is rock solid. Just
    wanted to make sure. Do you think the 5510 model would be sufficient for the
    second company? Thanks.

    Corbin O'Reilly, Sep 9, 2008

  3. Thanks for the info Artie. One more question. Does the 5510 serve as both a
    PIX and a VPN appliance? I am asking this because the parent company is
    running a PIX 515 firewall and a VPN 3005 concentrator. If the second
    company gets a 5510 the parent may want to get one as well. I just want to
    know if the 5510 can replace both the PIX and VPN concentrator and the
    parent company. Thanks again for the help.

    Corbin O'Reilly, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Thanks again Artie.

    Corbin O'Reilly, Sep 10, 2008