    Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
    speed xD card reader?

    Mike
    Mike, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Mike

    HerHusband Guest

    Mike,

    > Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
    > Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
    > speed xD card reader?

    I have a Fuji F10 with a 1 gig XD card.

    I bought a card reader "claiming" to be compatible with XD cards, but it
    refuses to work with my 1 gig card.

    I decided to buy a second smaller 256 Meg XD card for frequent use in hopes
    that it would work with my card reader, but it didn't work either.

    I later discovered that both cards are "type M", and that's apparently the
    issue that's causing problems.

    The only "internal" reader I have found is the PRO-28U made by Atech. It
    "claims" to be compatible with all types and sizes of XD cards.
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen them sold anywhere yet. Still waiting.

    There's a small reader made by Olympus (MAUSB-300) that you plug your card
    in, then plug the reader into a USB port. It claims to support XD cards to
    1 Gig, but doesn't quite specify support for "Type M" cards. And, it's
    another piece of hardware to keep laying around. It seems just as easy to
    connect the camera directly to the computer.

    Anthony
    HerHusband, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Mike

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:53:27 -0600, HerHusband wrote:

    >> Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
    >> Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
    >> speed xD card reader?

    > I have a Fuji F10 with a 1 gig XD card.
    >
    > I bought a card reader "claiming" to be compatible with XD cards, but it
    > refuses to work with my 1 gig card.
    >
    > I decided to buy a second smaller 256 Meg XD card for frequent use in hopes
    > that it would work with my card reader, but it didn't work either.
    >
    > I later discovered that both cards are "type M", and that's apparently the
    > issue that's causing problems.

    I have an Olympus 1GB (type M) and have had no problems reading or
    writing to the card even though several devices in the chain are
    about 8 years old. These are an old SCSI PCMCIA card reader and an
    old PCMCIA to CF adapter. The only new device was the Fuji xD to CF
    adapter that I bought about 15 months ago, several months before
    the 1GB xD cards became available. My guess is that this last
    adapter resolved any incompatibilities that M type cards might
    present. These Fuji adapters don't seem to be as readily available
    as they were a year ago, but Olympus xD to CF adapters aren't as
    hard to find, and presumably they work as well as those from Fuji.
    ASAAR, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Mike

    Markeau Guest

    Markeau, Feb 25, 2006
  5. Mike

    Markeau Guest

    Markeau, Feb 25, 2006
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi Anthony, I'm going to try the high speed xD card reader I bought,
    Yhe camera only supports USB1.1 and I don't want to use the battery to
    transfer files.

    Miek

    Mike, Feb 25, 2006
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I've read the high speed xD cards may not be recognized by some readers.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 25, 2006
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Feb 25, 2006
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Feb 27, 2006
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    On line vendor tells me "only certain readers" will read 1GB xD cards,
    especially high speed cards. What do people think of his statement?

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 27, 2006
  11. Mike

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:51:05 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >On line vendor tells me "only certain readers" will read 1GB xD cards,
    >especially high speed cards. What do people think of his statement?
    >
    >Mike

    He's absolutely right.
    And, I'll bet he just happens to sell them, too.
    :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"