    so maybe buy there if much cheaper than Sydney.

    Thanks for the help

    rock
    Rock, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Rock

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:06:47 +1100, Rock <> wrote in
    <47bc9663$0$5200$>:

    >I'm looking for a good small pocket camera, (not the SLR style)which will take
    >good crisp reasonably hi resolution stage shots of shows.
    >
    >Naturally good portrait shots as well.
    >
    >Another concern is battery charging (I like the usb + power idea) good size
    >storage card to hold a few hi res shots)
    >
    >I am in Sydney Australia so will buy here or going to Singapore,Europe,US soon
    >so maybe buy there if much cheaper than Sydney.

    How much lighting? If lighting is low, you ought to be thinking dSLR.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 20, 2008

  3. Rock

    tomm42 Guest

    On Feb 20, 4:06 pm, Rock <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a good small pocket camera, (not the SLR style)which will take
    > good crisp reasonably hi resolution stage shots of shows.
    >
    > Naturally good portrait shots as well.
    >
    > Another concern is battery charging (I like the usb + power idea) good size
    > storage card to hold a few hi res shots)
    >
    > I am in Sydney Australia so will buy here or going to Singapore,Europe,US soon
    > so maybe buy there if much cheaper than Sydney.
    >
    > Thanks for the help
    >
    > rock

    There probably isn't any small pocketable camera that has a fast
    enough lens to shoot stage shots. P&S cameras also have very weak
    flash systems so even if you could use flash a P&S wouldn't work. You
    are looking for a camera that has a max aperture of at least f2.8 in a
    short telephoto range 100-150mm, unless you are shooting way back in
    the audience, then you need a bigger lens. A little while ago I was
    shooting a dance company on a college stage. I had a film Leica, small
    portable, I had trouble with ISO 400 film 1/30 sec f2.8, the
    photographer next to me had a Canon 20D with a 70-200 f2.8. He didn't
    stuggle had really nice images shooting at ISO 1600 @ f2.8 @1/125. If
    you have a brightly lit stage an f2.8-X P&S may work but most shows I
    go to are anything but brightly lit. With the variable aperture
    loosing its widest setting quickly and the inability to use much over
    ISO 400 make the P&S a nonstarter for stage work. You may want to look
    at the Fuji F31 I believe, there is probably a new model, works well
    at higher ISOs but has a slow lens.

    Good luck
    Tom
    tomm42, Feb 21, 2008
  4. Stage shows vary a lot in how close you may be and how bright the stage
    is. Generally it takes professional equipment to do a good job. Generally
    I suggest that the results are primarily dependent on the photographer not
    the equipment, but in this case it often requires high end equipment.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 21, 2008
  5. Rock

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:05:02 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote in
    <47bd931b$0$30711$>:

    > Stage shows vary a lot in how close you may be and how bright the stage
    >is. Generally it takes professional equipment to do a good job. Generally
    >I suggest that the results are primarily dependent on the photographer not
    >the equipment, but in this case it often requires high end equipment.

    I suspect from the requirements that this is about sneaking a camera
    into shows that prohibit photography (as most do here in the USA at
    least), which would tend to rule out high end equipment.

    The Fujifilm FinePix F31fd suggested in an earlier response does have
    very good high ISO performance for a small camera, but the slow (f/5 at
    telephoto) limited (3x zoom) lens and lack of stabilization lets it
    down, offsetting that high ISO advantage.

    I think a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, with a 2+ stop benefit from
    stabilization and a much longer (10x) zoom, would do better shooting at
    (say) ISO 200 than the Fujifilm FinePix F31fd shooting at ISO 800, not
    to mention the much longer focal length.

    John Navas, Feb 21, 2008
  6. Rock

    Frank ess Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 4:06 pm, Rock <> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a good small pocket camera, (not the SLR
    >> style)which will take good crisp reasonably hi resolution stage
    >> shots of shows.
    >>
    >> Naturally good portrait shots as well.
    >>
    >> Another concern is battery charging (I like the usb + power idea)
    >> good size storage card to hold a few hi res shots)
    >>
    >> I am in Sydney Australia so will buy here or going to
    >> Singapore,Europe,US soon so maybe buy there if much cheaper than
    >> Sydney.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help
    >>
    >> rock

    > There probably isn't any small pocketable camera that has a fast
    > enough lens to shoot stage shots. P&S cameras also have very weak
    > flash systems so even if you could use flash a P&S wouldn't work.
    > You are looking for a camera that has a max aperture of at least
    > f2.8 in a short telephoto range 100-150mm, unless you are shooting
    > way back in the audience, then you need a bigger lens. A little
    > while ago I was shooting a dance company on a college stage. I had
    > a film Leica, small portable, I had trouble with ISO 400 film 1/30
    > sec f2.8, the photographer next to me had a Canon 20D with a
    > 70-200 f2.8. He didn't stuggle had really nice images shooting at
    > ISO 1600 @ f2.8 @1/125. If you have a brightly lit stage an f2.8-X
    > P&S may work but most shows I go to are anything but brightly lit.
    > With the variable aperture loosing its widest setting quickly and
    > the inability to use much over ISO 400 make the P&S a nonstarter
    > for stage work. You may want to look at the Fuji F31 I believe,
    > there is probably a new model, works well at higher ISOs but has a
    > slow lens.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Tom

    Here's a look at some images that I made last year. Occasion was
    Coronado School of the Arts annual Gala and auction. The kids did
    good.

    The camera is Canon 5D; lens Canon 70-200 2.8L IS. Certainly a
    "higher-end" set to measure by.
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/35D5B0320FE93D2

    Most exposures were at F2.8, 1/160", ISO 400. My approach was: get a
    decent stop-motion image and Photo Shop if necessary, major crop
    allowed. Surprising how many needed little of either.

    I was 40-70 feet away for most shots. Flash was allowed, but (as
    always) I preferred against it. I'm not certain any of the action
    flash shots made it into this selection.

    A year or two earlier I did an indoor graduation at ISO 800 with
    similar results and product (Canon 20D).
    http://www.fototime.com/A679FED19788BB5/orig.jpg

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Feb 21, 2008
  7. Rock

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:27:26 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >I was 40-70 feet away for most shots. Flash was allowed, but (as
    >always) I preferred against it.

    Ahh, Frank, you'll remember from the last time you commented on one of
    my posts here that there are some readers of this newsgroup that read
    other newsgroups.

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 22, 2008
  8. Rock

    Frank ess Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:27:26 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I was 40-70 feet away for most shots. Flash was allowed, but (as
    >> always) I preferred against it.

    > Ahh, Frank, you'll remember from the last time you commented on one
    > of my posts here that there are some readers of this newsgroup that
    > read other newsgroups.

    >>> You know what? I agree.

    >> I do too. You know what I'm sayin'?

    > Frankly, I think I do.

    Let me be clear about this: your point would be ... ?

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Feb 22, 2008
  9. Rock

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:59:37 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:27:26 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was 40-70 feet away for most shots. Flash was allowed, but (as
    >>> always) I preferred against it.

    >> Ahh, Frank, you'll remember from the last time you commented on one
    >> of my posts here that there are some readers of this newsgroup that
    >> read other newsgroups.

    >>> I do too. You know what I'm sayin'?

    >> Frankly, I think I do.

    >Let me be clear about this: your point would be ... ?

    Basically, I actually meant to OY! you. Are you with me on this?
    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Feb 22, 2008
  10. Rock

    Frank ess Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:59:37 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> tony cooper wrote:

    >>> Ahh, Frank, you'll remember from the last time you commented on
    >>> one of my posts here that there are some readers of this
    >>> newsgroup that read other newsgroups.

    >>> Frankly, I think I do.

    >> Let me be clear about this: your point would be ... ?

    > Basically, I actually meant to OY! you. Are you with me on this?

    Let me say this about that: A well-placed OY! is a thing of beauty and
    a joy forever, now that you mention it (Toward more colorful speech).
    It depends on what the meaning of "this" is, don't y'know?

    By the way, photographically speaking, the possession of Superior
    Photographic Equipment has a parallel in community life: if word gets
    around that you are Concealed Carry-permitted, people expect things of
    you, as well. Be ready to use that stuff and to know how to use it
    properly and effectively.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Feb 22, 2008