    maybe a wireless card for my desktop? What hardware do I need besides the
    router? Also, what's the best type of router (G or N or super G?)? Anything
    else I need to know? Thanks

    rj, Sep 18, 2007

  2. You only need a wireless router with LAN ports so that the desktop is wired and laptop is wireless. Linksys and d-link are popular for home users. Just make sure they are Vista compatible.

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "rj" <> wrote in message news:edRsIVZ%...
    My desktop is an older model with Windows XP. I've connected a DSL modem.
    Now I need to hook up my laptop (it's a Gateway with Vista and has a
    built-in wireless 802.11n card). I was told I need a wireless router and

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Sep 18, 2007

  3. Hi
    You need a matching Draft N Router, otherwise the card would work as a
    regular 802.11g.
    Super G would do nothing for you.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 19, 2007
  4. rj

    rj Guest

    Is there a big difference in speed between G and N routers? If not, I'd
    rather go with the G router because the range is less. From a security point
    of view I'd prefer less range so fewer people can access my network.

    rj, Sep 19, 2007
  5. rj

    rj Guest

    Is there one that's 'plug 'n play'? Easy to setup and automatic configuration and reliable connections?

    rj, Sep 19, 2007
  6. On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:40:54 -0400, "rj" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a big difference in speed between G and N routers? If not, I'd
    >rather go with the G router because the range is less. From a security point
    >of view I'd prefer less range so fewer people can access my network.
    >

    >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> You need a matching Draft N Router, otherwise the card would work as a
    >> regular 802.11g.
    >> Super G would do nothing for you.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "rj" <> wrote in message
    >>> My desktop is an older model with Windows XP. I've connected a DSL modem.
    >>> Now I need to hook up my laptop (it's a Gateway with Vista and has a
    >>> built-in wireless 802.11n card). I was told I need a wireless router and
    >>> maybe a wireless card for my desktop? What hardware do I need besides the
    >>> router? Also, what's the best type of router (G or N or super G?)?
    >>> Anything
    >>> else I need to know? Thanks

    As one non-tech to another, I'd say there are always some problems
    with a wireless setup. I put together a wired home lan years ago with
    no trouble at all. Then I decided to add a wireless for a notebook,
    and had all sorts of problems getting it right. Fortunately, many
    knowledgable people hang out in this group. So get yourself a good
    router.... I have a Linksys and a Netgear, and both work fine with
    both wired and wireless. both are "G", not "N" because I wanted the
    most compatibility and fewer setup problems. I'm not at all sure that
    I got that, but at least they both work. For a desktop and a notebook,
    I'd say the Linksys WRT54G would be to one to get. Connect the desktop
    wired and the notebook wireless. You could certainly go with an "N"
    since your notebook supports that, but in my opinion the added speed
    isn't worth the cost... but then, I don't really use the notebook that
    much.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Sep 20, 2007