    Is there any utility, or something, that might detect the audio
    chipset, so I can find a driver? I'm thinking about booting the system
    from a knoppix cd. Would that work?

    abc123, Apr 23, 2005

  2. abc123

    Captain Lon Guest

    Is it 'on board' audio, on the motherboard? If so, go to the website of the
    mobo manufacturer to look for the proper driver. Or I guess the same advice
    applies if it is an expansion card, in which event you go to the
    manufacturer of the sound card for the driver download.

    The Belarc advisor might be able to help you. It can tell you the
    manufacturer and model number of various components within the computer. It
    is free: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

    If you are unable to get it to work at all, install a new sound expansion
    card. They are not very expensive. Here is one for $11.00.
    http://tinyurl.com/78our

    I hope that helps.

    --
    Captain Lon

    All your base are belong to us.

    Captain Lon, Apr 23, 2005

  3. abc123

    Chris Evans Guest

    A utility called AIDA32 can help you find the info you need also.

    Chris Evans, Apr 24, 2005
  4. abc123

    Guest

    Aida32 is no longer made, its Everest Home edition now.

    PCItree works good too, as does Belarc.

    , Apr 25, 2005
  5. Also CPU-Z, which can be run from CD or floppy and needs no installation on
    the user's PC

    (A+OS exam on Friday - wish me luck)

    ©ærb@ññøg, Apr 25, 2005
  6. abc123

    abc123 Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. I did solve the problem.

    My idea to use knoppix worked, I thought of that while I was typing the
    original message. Still it's good to know about the other utilities.

    As to Belarc, I don't know, but I thought belarc would only find stuff
    that is properly installed. I thought belarc only viewed the windows
    installation files, it doesn't examine your hardware.

    I don't have any docs on the system. As such, finding the mother
    manufacturer is not always an easy thing. Some mobo makers, like asus,
    put their name and modle on the the mobo. Usually the more generic
    brands don't bother with that.

    abc123, Apr 26, 2005