Need Antivirus for old computers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by arf, May 10, 2009.

  1. arf

    arf Guest

    I have 2 old computers and need a recomendation for free Antivirus
    software that will run on them.

    One is a 300MHz PII with 256 Megs of RAM running Windows 98SE, the
    other is a 900MHz PIII with 640 Megs of RAM running Windows ME.

    Both machines are hooked to the router which is hooked to the cable
    modem.

    Both machines see light internet use. The newer one the kids use to
    web-surf at PBSKids.com. The older one lives in the garage. Neither
    are the primary computer of the home but, since they have internet
    access, I would like to run an Antivirus program on them.

    They have been running AVGFree, but AVG has stopped giving out virus
    database updates for the older version 7.5 . Updating to the new
    AVGFree 8.5 is not possible because it will not run on either OS.
    See here
    http://free.avg.com/platforms

    So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run under
    Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    arf, May 10, 2009

  2. arf

    Mike Easter Guest

    arf wrote:

    > So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run under
    > Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    Avast will.

    PLATFORMS
    Windows 95
    Windows 98
    Windows Me
    Windows NT 4 (No Server)
    Windows 2000 (No Server)
    Windows XP (No Server)
    Windows Vista

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 10, 2009

  3. arf

    zvnteq7 Guest

    arf wrote:
    > I have 2 old computers and need a recomendation for free Antivirus
    > software that will run on them.
    >
    > One is a 300MHz PII with 256 Megs of RAM running Windows 98SE, the
    > other is a 900MHz PIII with 640 Megs of RAM running Windows ME.
    >
    > Both machines are hooked to the router which is hooked to the cable
    > modem.
    >
    > Both machines see light internet use. The newer one the kids use to
    > web-surf at PBSKids.com. The older one lives in the garage. Neither
    > are the primary computer of the home but, since they have internet
    > access, I would like to run an Antivirus program on them.
    >
    > They have been running AVGFree, but AVG has stopped giving out virus
    > database updates for the older version 7.5 . Updating to the new
    > AVGFree 8.5 is not possible because it will not run on either OS.
    > See here
    > http://free.avg.com/platforms
    >
    > So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run under
    > Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    I think Thanatoid (sp?) would be the expert on that

    zvnteq7, May 10, 2009
  4. arf

    thanatoid Guest

    zvnteq7 <> wrote in

    > arf wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run
    >> under Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    > I think Thanatoid (sp?) would be the expert on that

    [Should be noncapitalized, otherwise perfect :) ]

    I am not an expert on anything, but thank you.

    I used F-Prot for DOS (free) for ages, but it is dead. There ARE
    some free AV programs that run on 9x but most do not have very
    good reviews, and some have decidedly BAD reviews.

    The best AV program I am currently aware of, and which I bought,
    is ESET NOD32. You can get it for a reduced price from
    www.purplus.com (NO tech support, you have to buy from ESET for
    that), and possibly other places. It comes in a suite which
    includes a firewall or just the AV. I still use the free Agnitum
    Outpost Firewall ver 1 from 7 or 8 years ago. Nothing in
    relevant internet protocols has changed AFAIK, so updating
    firewalls is absurd.

    The same license will let you DL and run the full (AOT trial) XP
    version as well as the 9x/ME version AND the DOS version if they
    still have it. Some of their world-wide sites have the 9x and
    DOS versions for DL, some do not. I don't know why.

    I consider viruses largely easily avoidable just with some
    common sense (I have got ONE virus in 15 years in an email from
    a clueless friend) but as they say, "you never know".

    Still, I don't run it all the time, I only scan what I DL after
    going offline. Running it all the time while you're online (let
    alone offline) is just stupid and a waste of system resources,
    IMHO.

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, May 10, 2009
  5. thanatoid wrote:
    > zvnteq7 <> wrote in
    >
    >> arf wrote:

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run
    >>> under Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    > <SNIP>

    Abstract thinking - given the age of the machines why not consider a
    Linux variant?

    Caulfield_man, May 10, 2009
  6. arf

    Old Codger Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > arf wrote:
    >
    >> So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run under
    >> Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    > Avast will.

    > PLATFORMS
    > Windows 95
    > Windows 98
    > Windows Me
    > Windows NT 4 (No Server)
    > Windows 2000 (No Server)
    > Windows XP (No Server)
    > Windows Vista

    I use Avast home edition on Win98SE and XP. It is excellent and free
    for home and non commercial use. Requires annual registration.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, May 10, 2009
  7. arf

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Codger wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> arf wrote:
    >>
    >>> So I am looking for info on a Free Antivirus that will run under
    >>> Windows 98SE and/or Windows ME.

    >> Avast will.

    > I use Avast home edition on Win98SE and XP. It is excellent and free
    > for home and non commercial use. Requires annual registration.

    The AVG forums also mention Rising, which is a big favorite of the a.c.f
    freeware researcher Bear Bottoms.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 10, 2009
  8. arf

    zvnteq7 Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Old Codger wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Avast will.

    >> I use Avast home edition on Win98SE and XP. It is excellent and free
    >> for home and non commercial use. Requires annual registration.

    > The AVG forums also mention Rising, which is a big favorite of the a.c.f
    > freeware researcher Bear Bottoms.

    Bear bottoms also champions the XP Sp2 Firewall, so.............*cough*

    zvnteq7, May 11, 2009