    suspect its something with the link...needless to say i cant use opera
    or firefox so i need to know if there is an alternate url to get me to
    the critical & security updates .tks

    dakine, Oct 15, 2004

  2. dakine

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:38:05 GMT, dakine <> wrote:

    >i always go to this site for microsnot updates:
    >http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    >
    >now, it seems that site is not working for me ( p4-3000 win2k, always
    >got updates b4 a format this past week), over the past several days. I
    >suspect its something with the link...needless to say i cant use opera
    >or firefox so i need to know if there is an alternate url to get me to
    >the critical & security updates .tks

    See if these links work:
    https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options,
    click Connections, click LAN Settings. Uncheck "Automatically
    Detect Settings" and "Use Automatic configuration script"

    2. Also in the Internet options, General tab, "Delete files"
    Button, Clear all temp files, including off-line content.

    Problems When Viewing or Downloading From Windows Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q193385

    Unk, Oct 15, 2004

  3. dakine

    WormWood Guest

    "dakine" <> wrote in message
    |i always go to this site for microsnot updates:
    | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    |
    | now, it seems that site is not working for me ( p4-3000 win2k, always
    | got updates b4 a format this past week), over the past several days. I
    | suspect its something with the link...needless to say i cant use opera
    | or firefox so i need to know if there is an alternate url to get me to
    | the critical & security updates .tks

    Why can't you use Firefox, Opera or any other non-MS Browser? This is
    from: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/ I opened this url in
    Firefox/Mozilla.
    If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be
    downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

    WormWood, Oct 15, 2004
  4. dakine

    °Mike° Guest

    Just use:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    You will be redirected to the appropriate page.

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:38:05 GMT, in
    <>
    dakine scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 15, 2004
  5. dakine

    CoCo Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > "dakine" <> wrote in message
    > |i always go to this site for microsnot updates:
    > | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    > |
    > | now, it seems that site is not working for me ( p4-3000 win2k, always
    > | got updates b4 a format this past week), over the past several days. I
    > | suspect its something with the link...needless to say i cant use opera
    > | or firefox so i need to know if there is an alternate url to get me to
    > | the critical & security updates .tks
    >

    > Why can't you use Firefox, Opera or any other non-MS Browser? This is
    > from: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/ I opened this url in
    > Firefox/Mozilla.
    > If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be
    > downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

    hi

    msdn dont work with ff, just get a white 1x1pixel gif (GIF89a )).

    coco

    CoCo, Oct 15, 2004
  6. dakine

    WormWood Guest

    "CoCo" <> wrote in message
    | WormWood wrote:
    | > "dakine" <> wrote in message
    | > |i always go to this site for microsnot updates:
    | > | http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    | > |
    | > | now, it seems that site is not working for me ( p4-3000 win2k,
    always
    | > | got updates b4 a format this past week), over the past several
    days. I
    | > | suspect its something with the link...needless to say i cant use
    opera
    | > | or firefox so i need to know if there is an alternate url to get
    me to
    | > | the critical & security updates .tks
    | >

    | > Why can't you use Firefox, Opera or any other non-MS Browser? This
    is
    | > from: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/ I opened this url in
    | > Firefox/Mozilla.
    | > If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows
    may be
    | > downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
    | >

    | hi
    |
    | msdn dont work with ff, just get a white 1x1pixel gif (GIF89a )).
    |
    | coco

    You need to twiddle with firefox's options to change that. As you see
    from my post, I got 'way much more than just a transparent gif.

    WormWood, Oct 15, 2004
  7. dakine

    CoCo Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > "CoCo" <> wrote in message
    > | WormWood wrote:
    > | > "dakine" <> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > always
    > days. I
    > opera
    > me to
    > | >

    > | > Why can't you use Firefox, Opera or any other non-MS Browser? This
    > is
    > | > from: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/ I opened this url in
    > | > Firefox/Mozilla.
    > | > If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows
    > may be
    > | > downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
    > | >

    > | hi
    > |
    > | msdn dont work with ff, just get a white 1x1pixel gif (GIF89a )).
    > |
    > | coco
    >
    > You need to twiddle with firefox's options to change that. As you see
    > from my post, I got 'way much more than just a transparent gif.

    hi

    what options must i change?

    coco

    CoCo, Oct 15, 2004
  8. °Mike° wrote:
    > Just use:
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    >
    > You will be redirected to the appropriate page.

    Alternately you could use BigFix which loads it to their servers after it
    comes out. Seems they download all sorts of updates then check them before
    they release them to you. http://help.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=8
    I been seeing this popup on new pc's and wondered what the hell is this
    crap and then read an article and then went to the website to read about it.

    Trai La' Trash, Oct 15, 2004
  9. dakine

    dakine Guest

    Re: Re: need alternative windows update site

    tks for the suggestion to use opera or firefox...well i fired up my
    firefox and this is what it gave me:
    Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

    Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get
    the most out of your computer.

    You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in
    order to use Windows Update.

    Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

    Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update
    site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar
    of Internet Explorer.

    If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may
    be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

    so that solves that problem. i dont know how you managed to do it but
    i get this message :-(.......i also tried opera and got the same error
    message

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 04:44:23 -0400, "WormWood"
    <> wrote:

    >"CoCo" <> wrote in message
    >| WormWood wrote:
    >| > "dakine" <> wrote in message
    >| > |
    >always
    >days. I
    >opera
    >me to
    >| >

    >| > Why can't you use Firefox, Opera or any other non-MS Browser? This
    >is
    >| > from: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/ I opened this url in
    >| > Firefox/Mozilla.
    >| > If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows
    >may be
    >| > downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
    >| >

    >| hi
    >|
    >| msdn dont work with ff, just get a white 1x1pixel gif (GIF89a

    )).

    dakine, Oct 15, 2004
  10. Re: Re: need alternative windows update site

    In article <>,
    dakine <> wrote:

    >tks for the suggestion to use opera or firefox...well i fired up my
    >firefox and this is what it gave me:
    >Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    >
    >Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get
    >the most out of your computer.

    Que é reston?

    >You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in
    >order to use Windows Update.

    Tenha um feliz!?

    >Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

    Bom vendo que você está perguntando e sabe que eu não sou rathbun
    marty mas eternally no amor com o príncipe maravilhoso e herói.

    >Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update
    >site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar
    >of Internet Explorer.
    >
    >If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may
    >be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

    Snip!

    >so that solves that problem. i dont know how you managed to do it but
    >i get this message :-(.......i also tried opera and got the same error
    >message

    Não são mesmo arsed para encher para fora alguma cédula
    falsificada!?

    --
    Senhora Chatterly

    &quot;Could estes macia e doente * devoção * você herald
    publicamente para a senhora Chatterly seja algum * pervertido *
    prolongado * projeção * desse descontrolado * fantasy * você tem
    com * mecânico *?&quot dos objetos; -- PVTS

    Lady Chatterly, Oct 16, 2004