    Question:

    Am I buying a 6 MP or a 2.1 MP camera here?

    TIA

    Jose Bonifacio, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Jose Bonifacio

    Jer Guest

    Jose Bonifacio wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I want to buy a digital camera and found one on the web
    > www.adpost.com. It is a Aosta Slimeline. I guess it is made in Italy
    > because most hits from Google returns Italian pages.
    > Based on their description, it says it has a 6.0 MP resolution. But
    > somewhere down the description, it also says that it has a 2.1 MP
    > sensor. Then further down it says that the 6 MP is interpolated. It
    > has another 4 MP res but is also interpolated.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > Am I buying a 6 MP or a 2.1 MP camera here?
    >

    > TIA

    This sounds like Foveon math.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Re: Need Advice on Digital Camera (Aosta Slimline)

    Jose Bonifacio wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I want to buy a digital camera and found one on the web
    > www.adpost.com. It is a Aosta Slimeline. I guess it is made in Italy
    > because most hits from Google returns Italian pages.
    > Based on their description, it says it has a 6.0 MP resolution. But
    > somewhere down the description, it also says that it has a 2.1 MP
    > sensor. Then further down it says that the 6 MP is interpolated. It
    > has another 4 MP res but is also interpolated.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > Am I buying a 6 MP or a 2.1 MP camera here?

    Seems like a 2mp camera to me.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Jose Bonifacio

    dj_nme Guest

    Jer wrote:

    > Jose Bonifacio wrote:
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I want to buy a digital camera and found one on the web
    >> www.adpost.com. It is a Aosta Slimeline. I guess it is made in Italy
    >> because most hits from Google returns Italian pages.
    >> Based on their description, it says it has a 6.0 MP resolution. But
    >> somewhere down the description, it also says that it has a 2.1 MP
    >> sensor. Then further down it says that the 6 MP is interpolated. It
    >> has another 4 MP res but is also interpolated.
    >>
    >> Question:
    >>
    >> Am I buying a 6 MP or a 2.1 MP camera here?
    >>

    >> TIA

    > This sounds like Foveon math.

    Yes, it sounds like one of the Tekxon or Megxon cameras on eBay that the
    seller boasts a full 8 megapixel in the listing description, but in the
    fine print on the auction page is realy only a 4 MP camera.

    The adverts I found for the Aosta Slimeline say it has a 2.1 MP sensor
    and interpolates to 6 MP.
    My advice is unless it costs less than $50 US, don't bother.

    dj_nme, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Thanks guys. It cost ~$US 120.
    I think I will wait a few more months for it to go done further.

    Anyway, I find that a 2.1 mp is sufficient to make prints.
    Does a 6 mp really have that much difference ?

    TIA

    Jose Bonifacio, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Jose Bonifacio

    dj_nme Guest

    Jose Bonifacio wrote:

    > Thanks guys. It cost ~$US 120.
    > I think I will wait a few more months for it to go done further.
    >
    > Anyway, I find that a 2.1 mp is sufficient to make prints.
    > Does a 6 mp really have that much difference ?
    >
    > TIA

    Clarity of a digital picture seems to be directly realted to both the
    lens and the resolution and noise of the sensor.
    Big resolution plus dodgy lens equals crappy looking picture.
    Good optics plus low-res sensor can give you good pictures if you don't
    want to crop or enlarge.
    The quoted 6MP in the advert for the Aosta Slimline doesn't give your
    any more detail than the native resolution of the image sensor (2.1MP),
    it just "smears" the capured image over a bigger area and won't give you
    any more detail.

    A true 6MP camera would give you a noticable increase in detail in the
    image than a 2.1MP camera would.
    You could crop part of a 6MP image and enlarge it without it becoming as
    blurry or blocky.

    dj_nme, Oct 7, 2004