    in daylight? My camera is fine in daytime, I can enlarge the picture as
    much as I like but when it is a bit dark it gets a lot of noise in it.

    Phil

    Anonymous, Jun 27, 2008

  2. Anonymous <> wrote:
    >With digital cameras that have a problem with noise at night, would getting
    >a good flash, a really powerful one, make them perform as well as they do
    >in daylight? My camera is fine in daytime, I can enlarge the picture as
    >much as I like but when it is a bit dark it gets a lot of noise in it.

    It all depends. If you you want to take a close-up portait, then
    probably yes.
    However, if you are trying (like thousands do every day) to illuminate
    the arena at major sport events from the last row or like the one
    hopeful photographer who attempted to illuminate Mt. Rainier at late
    dusk from 20 miles away using the build-in flash in her P&S, then no.

    The question you should really be asking: is the effect of a flash
    desired. And if yes, will it provide enough illumination to reduce the
    ISO to a usable level.
    BTW: there are other ways to reduce the ISO, e.g. long exposure, using a
    tripod if necessary, or a large apperture.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 27, 2008