Need advice with pc to TV hookup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Oct 16, 2009.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I have a 5 year old pc running Win XP, with just one VGA input that is
    used for the pc monitor. I would like to connect to my HDTV which has
    the following inputs: HDMI, Component and an RGB input with an audio
    input adjacent to it.

    For one not too versed in either pc or TV tech, I have a few
    questions:
    1. can I use a VGA Y cable (male to two female) to provide an
    additional output(s) to thus eliminate removing the VGA monitor cable
    each time I want to send videos or pictures to the TV.

    2. I wonder which type connection would be the least complicated and
    least costly to connect, ie, pc VGA to RBG; pc VGA to component, or
    VGA to HDMI.

    3. would adapters for any of these connections be necessary?

    Thanks for advice and connection critiques.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Oct 16, 2009

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Grinder Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > I have a 5 year old pc running Win XP, with just one VGA input that is
    > used for the pc monitor. I would like to connect to my HDTV which has
    > the following inputs: HDMI, Component and an RGB input with an audio
    > input adjacent to it.
    >
    > For one not too versed in either pc or TV tech, I have a few
    > questions:
    > 1. can I use a VGA Y cable (male to two female) to provide an
    > additional output(s) to thus eliminate removing the VGA monitor cable
    > each time I want to send videos or pictures to the TV.

    You didn't mention that the TV a VGA input. You can get a VGA splitter,
    but it's more than a "Y" cable. It's an active device:

    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10104&cs_id=1010401&p_id=3569

    > 2. I wonder which type connection would be the least complicated and
    > least costly to connect, ie, pc VGA to RBG; pc VGA to component, or
    > VGA to HDMI.
    >
    > 3. would adapters for any of these connections be necessary?

    VGA=>Component and VGA=>HDMI will likewise require an active component,
    not just an adapter. I suspect VGA=>RGB would be no different, but I'm
    less sure about that. Here's a fairly inexpensive VGA=>HDMI adapter:

    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629

    Some video cards already have video out, what video card do you have?
    If it has video out, it might just be composite video, which would stink.

    I would need to know more about your system, but I'm guessing that your
    best option might be to buy a new video card. You can get a good AGP
    card, with dual video output, for about $30-40. This one, for example:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133236

    That way, you can not only have your monitor and your TV simultaneous
    connected, but also simultaneously in use.

    Grinder, Oct 16, 2009

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Grinder Guest

    I forgot to ask in my last note: What motherboard does your PC have?

    If it's a big box computer (Dell, HP, etc) you can probably just name
    the model number, but you can probably get a specific name for the
    motherboard with a program like Everest.

    http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

    Grinder, Oct 16, 2009