Need advice with certification/training direction, please

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Dennis, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Hi all. If this is the wrong place to post this, please accept my
    apologies.
    I have been dabbling in designing and extracting info from databases,
    (MS Access mostly, a little Oracle and MySQL.) I also maintain our
    website (FrontPage, JavaScript, HTML). I more or less worked into this
    job from a clerical job. I found out that I love doing this.
    Unfortunately, this job is coming to an end. I really don't want to
    stop doing this kind of work. I'm ready to do some training but am
    having a hard time figuring out where to start or which path to
    follow. The computer training compainies around here are interested
    in selling me their programs whether fits or not. I don't trust their
    advice.
    I was hoping that you folks (the experts) might be able to suggest
    appropriate certifications or training that you think might help me to
    find work similar to what I've described. And/or could anyone suggest
    any "good" on-line training compainies?

    Thanks very much for your time.
    DS

    Dennis, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Dennis

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 17, 2004 "Dennis" blathered:

    > Hi all. If this is the wrong place to post this, please accept my
    > apologies.

    No.

    > I have been dabbling in designing and extracting info from databases,
    > (MS Access mostly, a little Oracle and MySQL.) I also maintain our
    > website (FrontPage, JavaScript, HTML). I more or less worked into this
    > job from a clerical job. I found out that I love doing this.
    > Unfortunately, this job is coming to an end. I really don't want to
    > stop doing this kind of work. I'm ready to do some training but am
    > having a hard time figuring out where to start or which path to
    > follow. The computer training compainies around here are interested
    > in selling me their programs whether fits or not. I don't trust their
    > advice.

    If you enjoy working with databases, go for the MCDBA (Microsoft Certified
    Database Administrator). It's basically one step up from the MCSE.

    If you enjoy working with web sites, you could get the CIW (Certified
    Internet Webmaster). I'm not real sure how valuable this certification is
    so I would supplement it with the A+, Network+, and a Microsoft cert.

    Or, of course, you could just get them all (that's my plan, sans the
    MCDBA). What the h3ll, the more the merrier, right.

    > I was hoping that you folks (the experts) might be able to suggest
    > appropriate certifications or training that you think might help me to
    > find work similar to what I've described. And/or could anyone suggest
    > any "good" on-line training compainies?

    With your experience, you should be able to do self-study. Instead of
    spending a ton of money on courses, get a couple cheap computers to network
    together, some quality books (MS Press, Sybex, etc.), and some practice
    tests (MeasureUp, SelfTest, Transcenders, etc.).

    --
    TechGeekPro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 18, 2004