Need advice to prevent another mishap.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Fusillo, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    I need advice in order to prevent another mishap.

    I have an Olympus Camedia 2.1 with which I have been quite satisfied for
    several years. I am upgrading cameras, but am nervous about a problem. I
    have used the same cards, two 32 mb's and a 128mb, for some time, with no
    trouble. A few weeks back, after I had shot two or three pix with the 128,
    the camera suddenly starting blinking "81, 81, 81"over and over, and the
    camera, for all purposes, crashed. The card would not read in any way, and
    would not reformat - as soon as I put it in, the camera starts blinking.

    I switched to the 32mb cards, shot them full and all was well. I dumped them
    to a disc and started over. This time they both seemed to work fine - I
    could flip thru and look at all the pix on the screen, and they looked OK.
    But when I loaded them into my computer I discovered that one of them would
    show only a half dozen of 70 or so pix , and some of them were not right --
    remnants of double exposures on the edges ( the numbers were still there,
    and there were 70 files on the discs). The other card was fine. I have tried
    a very few pix with an old 8mb card, and had no trouble, but I am afraid to
    use any card at all for fear of destroying them.

    Did I do something wrong somehow? What would cause this to happen? I don't
    want it to happen with my new camera.

    rjf
    Bob Fusillo, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Bob Fusillo

    mark_digital Guest

    "Bob Fusillo" <> wrote in message news:suhDc.97671$2i5.42537@attbi_s52...
[...]

    ------------------------------
    ------------------------------

    I wouldn't be too surprised if the card that gave you trouble
    was cracked. It happens you know. Some brands seem to
    hold up better than others.

    mark_
    mark_digital, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Bob Fusillo

    Bob Fusillo Guest

    "mark_digital" <> wrote in message

    I wouldn't be too surprised if the card that gave you trouble
    was cracked. It happens you know. Some brands seem to
    hold up better than others.

    mark_

    A close perusal of the two trouble-making cards shows no damage, at least to
    the naked eye.
    rjf
    Bob Fusillo, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Bob Fusillo

    Pat Guest

    Cards do not last forever. They will all fail sooner or later, hopefully
    later!
    I have had a total of three cards fail. The cameras are fine, working
    perfectly with new cards. I now only use Lexar and Sandisk cards as I have
    had no problems with these. So far!!

    Pat

    Pat, Jul 3, 2004