need advice on vlan configuration and setup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tony, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. tony

    tony Guest

    I got a core switch 4506 with 2 (WS-X4306). All access switches (4503) will
    home run to this 4406 with multimode fiber from different floors and 2 other
    buildings. We have a decent size network but DHCP and DNS is outside of the
    network not in my control. we have a /21 network 10.10.10.0/21

    currently it is just a flat layer 2 network. 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.17.254

    I want to break it down into the following

    10.10.10.0/24
    10.10.11.0/24
    10.10.12.0/24
    10.10.13.0/24
    10.10.14.0/24
    10.10.15.0/24
    10.10.16.0/24
    10.10.17.0/24

    The problem is every node on every floor or building including printers,
    servers etc have random dhcp addresses. Do I actually have to go port by
    port and specify each port to assign to what vlan? I guess I would need to
    configure all the home run links as trunks.

    My initial goal is be able to have
    All servers on one vlan
    All printers on one vlan
    Building 2 on one vlan
    Building 3 on one vlan
    Building 1 on one vlan (servers located here)

    All vlans can communicate with server vlan
    All vlans can communicate with printer vlan

    Any advice would be very helpful.

    Thank you
    tony, Sep 1, 2006

  2. tony

    Guest

    tony wrote:
    > I got a core switch 4506 with 2 (WS-X4306). All access switches (4503) will
    > home run to this 4406 with multimode fiber from different floors and 2 other
    > buildings. We have a decent size network but DHCP and DNS is outside of the
    > network not in my control. we have a /21 network 10.10.10.0/21
    >
    > currently it is just a flat layer 2 network. 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.17.254
    >
    > I want to break it down into the following
    >
    > 10.10.10.0/24
    > 10.10.11.0/24
    > 10.10.12.0/24
    > 10.10.13.0/24
    > 10.10.14.0/24
    > 10.10.15.0/24
    > 10.10.16.0/24
    > 10.10.17.0/24
    >
    > The problem is every node on every floor or building including printers,
    > servers etc have random dhcp addresses. Do I actually have to go port by
    > port and specify each port to assign to what vlan? I guess I would need to
    > configure all the home run links as trunks.
    >
    > My initial goal is be able to have
    > All servers on one vlan
    > All printers on one vlan
    > Building 2 on one vlan
    > Building 3 on one vlan
    > Building 1 on one vlan (servers located here)
    >

    > All vlans can communicate with server vlan
    > All vlans can communicate with printer vlan
    >

    > Any advice would be very helpful.

    Do you have a Layer 3 capable supervisor?

    Please post part number.

    "sh module" shows it clearly.

    CORE1>sh mod
    Chassis Type : WS-C4506

    Mod Ports Card Type Model
    Serial No.
    1 2 Supervisor IV 1000BaseX (GBIC) WS-X4515
    xxxxxx
    , Sep 1, 2006

  3. tony

    tony Guest

    Yes. I do. Its a WS-X4013+ supervisor II+

    tony, Sep 1, 2006