    Pc is mainly used for graphics and video editing and was wondering if Vista
    will help in anyway. All advise will be greatly appreciated.

    AndyB
    BENAGLIA, Jun 25, 2007

  2. The one area where I think Vista will help is that support for DVDs is
    native in the OS. Otherwise? You'll find that new hardware and software is
    more likely to support Vista 64bit than Windows XP x64 Edition. It may do
    both, or may not, but if it only does one? It will be Vista. The overhead of
    running Vista is at least twice that of running XP x64, IME. So figure the
    effective minimum to run XP x64 is probably about 512 Mb of RAM. (Not the
    official minimum, mind you.) Well, the effective minimum for Vista 64bit is
    at least 1Gb of RAM. Disk space requirements for the OS itself are much
    more, obviously, than XP.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 25, 2007

  3. BENAGLIA

    John Barnes Guest

    Looks like a go from my point of view. Drivers should always be checked,
    but I have found more available for Vista64 than XP64. Vista works nicely
    but is a little bit of a resource hog, but your system should do okay. My
    biggest complaint with Vista is that the resources are not allocated
    properly between the cores and I have to set the affinity manually to get
    the machine to operate smoothly. If not manually allocated, I get hangs.

    John Barnes, Jun 25, 2007
  4. BENAGLIA

    mikeyhsd Guest

    for your type of operations its more the programs that will/will not work on vista as well as the drivers for the hardware you will need.

    you will need to do some homework to make sure updated items are available for vista 64.

    not even ms upgrade advisor runs on 64 bit

    mikeyhsd, Jun 25, 2007
  5. One thing to bear in mind is support for hardware profiling of your monitor.
    If you are a photographer and using a colour managed workflow with a profiled
    monitor, which puck do you use. Gretag-MacBeth (XRite) have been dragging
    their heels over releasing 64-bit drivers for Vista - and unless you are
    prepared to through a very elaborate routine, their software will not work.
    If you have a Spyder 2, then you are in luck as this puck has the necessary
    drivers and software to work.

    If you are running Photoshop CS3, here is an interesting snippet from the
    Adobe web site:-

    From the Adobe web site
    When you run Photoshop CS3 on a computer with a 64-bit processor (such as a
    Intel Xeon processor with EM64T, AMD Athlon 64, or Opteron processor) running
    a 64-bit version of the operating system (Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    or Windows Vista 64-bit) and with 4 GB or more of RAM, Photoshop will use 3
    GB for it's image data. You can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can
    use in the Let Photoshop Use number when you set the Let Photoshop Use slider
    in the Performance preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by
    Photoshop, which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB, can be used directly
    by Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM),
    filters, or actions. If you have more than 4 GB (to 6 GB), then the RAM above
    4 GB is used by the operating system as a cache for the Photoshop scratch
    disk data. Data that previously was written directly to the hard disk by
    Photoshop is now cached in this high RAM before being written to the hard
    disk by the operating system. If you are working with files large enough to
    take advantage of these extra 2 GB of RAM, the RAM cache can speed
    performance of Photoshop. Additionally, in Windows Vista 64-bit, processing
    very large images is much faster if your computer has large amounts of RAM
    (6-8 GB).
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Jun 26, 2007
  6. Update:

    I wrote to Gretag-MacBeth support last night (yet again) asking them when
    the drivers/updated software would be available and here is their response:

    <i>Dear Carol
    we expect a release by en of the month (soon) but we still have no official
    info about finalisation.</i>

    .......... which sounds a little more hopeful, although what they mean about
    'finalisation' would be anybody's guess.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Jun 26, 2007