    or 400mm) that could also ba afordable ?

    Thanks

    Sebastien
    Sebastien Gandolphe, Apr 24, 2004

  2. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:54:24 +0800, Sebastien Gandolphe
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I own a Nikon D100, and I'm considering to by a Telephoto Zoom before I
    >go to South Africa for a safari. Yesterday I tested the Nikon 80-400
    >f/4.5-f/5.6 D. It is of course an awesome lense, but it is also out of
    >my price range !
    >
    >Do any of you could give me advice on a good telephoto Zoom (up to 300
    >or 400mm) that could also ba afordable ?

    Take a look at the 80 to 300. It's relatively inexpensive compared to
    the big iron and works well. As has been pointed out elsewhere, (35
    mm group I think), it gets a bit soft around the edges between 200 and
    300 mm, although I've never found that to be a problem with the type
    of photography I normally do. On my D-70 (which doesn't use the
    edges), it's tack sharp.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Sebastien Gandolphe

    ~ Guest

    I would suggest the Nikkor 70-300 ED.

    I use both Nikkor 70-300ED and the Nikkor 80-400VR. Prior to getting
    the 80-400, the 70-300 served me well and I believe you will be
    pleased with it also.

    Steve
    PhotographersPlayhouse.com
    ~, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Thanks guys, I'll definitely have a look at this 80-300lense. Perhaps
    Sigma, Tokina, have also good quality lenses fulfilling my needs. Any
    ideas about that ? They are usually cheaper than Nikkor and not
    necessarely bad quality... ?

    Sebastien Gandolphe, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Sebastien Gandolphe

    ~ Guest

    Your quality is in the Nikkor. There have been many threads posted
    regarding lack of durability on the Sigma. Don't recall anything on
    the Tokina.

    Check your prices, however, I believe you will find that the price
    difference will not be significant enough to lower your quality
    expectations. Also, the Nikkor ED (not the G series) is rapid focus, a
    definate bonus when shooting running animals, sports events, etc.

    Steve
    PhotographersPlayhouse.com

    ~, Apr 26, 2004