Need advice on purchasing a laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, May 1, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
    applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
    How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
    considered better?

    My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
    is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
    about 2GB.

    Are the below choices a good option?

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4571242&sku=H24-15071&srkey=h24-15071

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...asp?EdpNo=4229254&csid=ITD&body=WARRANTY#tabs

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4483722&sku=T71-15413&srkey=t71-15413

    Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
    Staples, Circuitcity which offer
    deals occasionally a better choice?

    I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
    service, but that is arguable.
    Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
    or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
    on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?

    Can anyone please advise?

    Thanks a lot.

    s, May 1, 2009

  2. s

    Fred Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
    >I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
    > applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
    > How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
    > considered better?
    >
    > My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
    > is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
    > about 2GB.
    >
    > Are the below choices a good option?
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4571242&sku=H24-15071&srkey=h24-15071
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...asp?EdpNo=4229254&csid=ITD&body=WARRANTY#tabs
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4483722&sku=T71-15413&srkey=t71-15413
    >
    > Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
    > Staples, Circuitcity which offer
    > deals occasionally a better choice?
    >
    > I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
    > service, but that is arguable.
    > Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
    > or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
    > on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?
    >
    > Can anyone please advise?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    What currency are you talking in with a limit of $700 ?

    Fred, May 1, 2009

  3. s

    PeeCee Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
    >I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
    > applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
    > How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
    > considered better?
    >
    > My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
    > is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
    > about 2GB.
    >
    > Are the below choices a good option?
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4571242&sku=H24-15071&srkey=h24-15071
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...asp?EdpNo=4229254&csid=ITD&body=WARRANTY#tabs
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4483722&sku=T71-15413&srkey=t71-15413
    >
    > Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
    > Staples, Circuitcity which offer
    > deals occasionally a better choice?
    >
    > I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
    > service, but that is arguable.
    > Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
    > or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
    > on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?
    >
    > Can anyone please advise?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Re Memory useage

    Windows 32 bit OS's maximum address space is 4 GB
    Of this over 1.5GB of these address's are used by the system eg video, i/o
    ports etc
    As such you will get no advantage going beyond 3GB unless 4 GB of RAM is
    cheaper than 3GB.

    Best way to choose is to look at brand/model and settle on a specification
    that meets your need.
    Then go looking for the best price.

    Who you buy from depends on what sort of backup service you want.
    Local means you can go bang on a desk.
    Phone calls to Bangalore can be 'very' frustrating.

    The Brand you buy should go roughly in this order
    Toshiba
    Lenovo/Dell
    Asus
    Sony (I put them here because they are expensive)
    HP/Compaq
    Acer
    The rest.
    Odd name brands.

    One tip, the dv series of HP/Compaq laptops have a bad rep for motherboard
    failure.

    Don't think you are going to get a 'quality' machine cheap.
    You pay cheap they skimp somewhere.
    You get what you pay for.

    A lot of Laptops come with Webcams built in to the lid.
    Don't worry about going beyond 640 x 480 unless you have 'very' good
    bandwidth.

    Be VERY pedantic about model numbers.
    A lot of Laptops have the same basic hardware (case/motherboard, dvd etc)
    The point of difference being the CPU/RAM/Hard drive
    Look at these 3 ($NZ)
    TOSHIBA L300 T4200 2G 160GB XPP+VB call $1199.00+GST ($1348.88incl.)
    TOSHIBA Sat L300/0D5 DC T3400 3 $1099.00+GST ($1236.38incl.)
    Toshiba L300 T4200 2GHz 1GB 160GB call $1098.66+GST ($1236.00incl.)
    Notice the different specs yet all 3 are "Toshiba L300 Laptop"

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 1, 2009
  4. s

    s Guest

    On May 1, 11:47 am, "Fred" <> wrote:
    > "s" <> wrote in message

    > >I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
    > > applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
    > > How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
    > > considered better?

    > > My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
    > > is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
    > > about 2GB.

    > > Are the below choices a good option?

    > >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?...

    > >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?...

    > >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?...

    > > Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
    > > Staples, Circuitcity which offer
    > > deals occasionally a better choice?

    > > I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
    > > service, but that is arguable.
    > > Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
    > > or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
    > > on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?

    > > Can anyone please advise?

    > > Thanks a lot.

    > What currency are you talking in with a limit of $700 ?

    U.S. dollar.

    s, May 1, 2009
  5. s

    s Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    On May 1, 4:29 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    > Re Memory useage
    >
    > Windows 32 bit OS's maximum address space is 4 GB
    > Of this over 1.5GB of these address's are used by the system eg video, i/o
    > ports etc
    > As such you will get no advantage going beyond 3GB unless 4 GB of RAM is
    > cheaper than 3GB.

    Does that mean Vista will use about 1GB and rest of the applications
    can use only other 2GB
    so the max utilization will be of 3GB only? So, the 4GB will be useful
    only if another OS comes out
    in the future which needs more memory to run?

    > Best way to choose is to look at brand/model and settle on a specification
    > that meets your need.
    > Then go looking for the best price.
    >
    > Who you buy from depends on what sort of backup service you want.
    > Local means you can go bang on a desk.
    > Phone calls to Bangalore can be 'very' frustrating.

    Yes, but local support is rare these days. I hope new machines should
    not
    require any support for the initial 2-3 years and the plan is to get
    a warranty of 1 year only.

    > The Brand you buy should go roughly in this order
    > Toshiba
    > Lenovo/Dell
    > Asus
    > Sony (I put them here because they are expensive)
    > HP/Compaq
    > Acer
    > The rest.
    > Odd name brands.

    May I know why Toshiba first? Is it price, performance, support
    service or some
    other factor?

    > One tip, the dv series of HP/Compaq laptops have a bad rep for motherboard
    > failure.

    Thanks, I will avoid them.

    > Don't think you are going to get a 'quality' machine cheap.
    > You pay cheap they skimp somewhere.
    > You get what you pay for.

    Correct, but there also exists shopping around for price and bargain
    deals.
    For instance, a typical machine costing 850$ may be sold for
    650 on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial day sale or so. Naturally, I
    need
    to be looking for them.

    > A lot of Laptops come with Webcams built in to the lid.
    > Don't worry about going beyond 640 x 480 unless you have 'very' good
    > bandwidth.

    For video conferencing, would a 2mega pixel Web cam be sufficient? The
    quote is
    for a machine to be used in a campus(having Gigabit ethernet
    facilities which I hope can come
    under the very good bandwidth category)

    > Be VERY pedantic about model numbers.
    > A lot of Laptops have the same basic hardware (case/motherboard, dvd etc)
    > The point of difference being the CPU/RAM/Hard drive
    > Look at these 3 ($NZ)
    > TOSHIBA L300 T4200 2G 160GB XPP+VB call $1199.00+GST ($1348.88incl.)
    > TOSHIBA Sat L300/0D5 DC T3400 3 $1099.00+GST ($1236.38incl.)
    >  Toshiba L300 T4200 2GHz 1GB 160GB call $1098.66+GST ($1236.00incl.)
    > Notice the different specs yet all 3 are  "Toshiba L300 Laptop"

    Yes, indeed,

    Thanks for your aid and time.

    s, May 1, 2009
  6. s

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:37:52 -0700 (PDT), s <> wrote:

    >I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
    >applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
    >How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
    >considered better?
    >
    >My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
    >is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
    >about 2GB.
    >
    >Are the below choices a good option?
    >
    >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?EdpNo=4571242&sku=H24-15071&srkey=h24-15071

    Of the three, the first one is your better choice. Who the hell is
    lenovo?

    Personally, I prefer amd over intel any day. I tested both side by
    side doing the same thing and amd kicks intel's butt hands down.

    I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
    sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
    waiting.

    Both best buy and circuit cuity in my opinion, may have good deals,
    but are still rather high on their price tags.

    You'd be better off going direct to the manufacturer or with tiger.

    With HP, you can build your own machine.

    richard, May 1, 2009
  7. s

    Clot Guest

    Clot, May 1, 2009
  8. s

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:56:59 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Of the three, the first one is your better choice. Who the hell is
    >lenovo?

    Wow.. Serious? Been living in a cave?

    Evan Platt, May 1, 2009
  9. richard wrote:

    > I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
    > sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
    > waiting.

    You mind explaining that one?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 1, 2009
  10. s

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 1 May 2009 15:52:37 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >You mind explaining that one?

    Yeah... I have a hard time imagining RtS wrapping his head around a
    programming language. I mean heck, linxu is beyond him.

    Maybe he uses VB? No, that would be beyond him too.

    Turtle.

    Yes... Turtle.

    Pen up.
    Up 10
    Left 10
    pen down.
    Up 10.

    Evan Platt, May 1, 2009
  11. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> You mind explaining that one?

    > Yeah... I have a hard time imagining RtS wrapping his head around a
    > programming language. I mean heck, linxu is beyond him.
    >
    > Maybe he uses VB? No, that would be beyond him too.

    I suspect he means his precious Run Basic that he 'designs' web pages
    with...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 1, 2009
  12. From somewhere roughly c. AD 2005 : -

    Acer:
    Acer makes some good budget computers (namely, the Aspire series) and some
    hideously overpriced "gaming" models (*cough*Ferrari*cough*). If you need a
    a good business PC on a budget, Acer is definitely the way to go.

    Alienware:
    Alienware makes ridiculously expensive but equally powerful gaming machines.
    That's the sole point of buying an Alienware: gaming. And they do excel at
    that. However, their computers are heavy (as much as 12-15 lbs.) and get
    almost no battery life due to the use of desktop processors. That's okay;
    they weren't meant to be taken with you anyways, at usually well over $3000.

    Apple:
    Apple makes a variety of user-friendly, well-built, compact computers with a
    moderate level of performance. It's almost impossible to break one, due to
    the incredibly simple OS and the nigh-indestructible aluminum casing.
    They're terrific for first time users and know-it-all geeks alike. The
    downside? They're quite pricey and will run almost nothing due to the Mac
    OSX operating system.

    ASUS:
    ASUS, renowned in the past for initially cheap components (every ASUS
    component I've owned from before 2003 has broken down or been in dire need
    of replacement) and later some high-quality motherboards, makes high
    quality, lightweight, and powerful computers. Of course quality comes at a
    huge price. ASUS computers tend to be very pricey and are not readily
    available at retail stores.

    AVERATEC:
    AVERATEC makes inexpensive, lightweight computers. The downside is that
    AVERATECs are poorly constructed and use mainly integrated components. If
    you need a thin & light to take to school or work, look to AVERATEC. If you
    want an HD mobile theater or gaming powerhouse, look elsewhere.

    Dell:
    Dell offers a wide variety of computers, ranging from very low-end desktops
    and notebooks to insanely powerful gaming rigs. Not surprisingly, it's these
    extremes that are the least cost-effective. Their Inspiron 6000 and 9300
    series are among some of the most popular notebooks available today. Dells
    are seemingly very expensive, but be sure to check the coupons at the top of
    the site; you can get some incredible deals with them.

    eMachines:
    eMachines makes a few series of notebooks. The M6000 is based on the same
    blueprint as the popular Gateway 7000 series, but usually has less RAM. They
    also have a newer M5000 series with Turion and Mobile Sempron processors
    that can be found at Wal-Marts nationwide. eMachines computers are cost
    effective performance-wise but poorly constructed. To add insult to injury,
    their tech support is atrocious.
    Note: It would appear eMachines no longer officially acknowledges its
    notebooks on their website (much as you won't find the 7000 series on
    Gateway's website). Rest assured, they do exist, and can be found at most
    major computer retailors.

    Falcon Northwest:
    Falcon makes computers even more expensive than Alienwares, though they're
    basically identical on the inside. Where do you pay the difference? Falcon
    Northwest has better tech support (Alienware is infamous for ignoring you if
    you have a problem) and does custom paint jobs. For a mere $5000! Wow, the
    XPS2 is beginning to look like a bargain.

    Fujitsu:
    Fujitsu makes powerful, stylish, lightweight, durable, reliable computers
    that will run forever. Which is good, because once you pay the exorbitant
    mortgage-your-house price, you'll never be able to afford another computer.
    They're also extremely hard to get your hands on, especially in the US.

    Gateway:
    Gateway used to be a very respectable company, with quality made-in-the-USA
    products. Then they bough eMachines and all of their problems. Now Gateways
    are shoddily constructed, made in Malaysia, and have zero tech support and
    warranty behind them. Irregardless, they are very cost-effective computers
    while they last, especially for a casual gamer or professional-on-the-go.
    The 7000 series is by far their most popular model, and is available at Best
    Buy at good prices. Watch out for the 90-day warranty, though.

    Hewlett-Packard/Compaq:
    HP and and it's subsidiary Compaq maintain separate lines of computers, but
    they're identical except that Compaq's are silver rather than black and
    usually are cheaper. (Maybe silver is considered a cheaper color.) Anyway
    you go about it, HPs are fairly powerful and inexpensive, and they'll also
    run forever ??" unless one of the highly-integrated components dies. Then
    the whole thing is usually shot. Fortunately they come with good warranties
    and friendly, knowledgeable tech support. Watch out for desktop processors,
    though, if battery life means anything to you. HPs are very user-friendly
    and are perfect for the common user, say that aunt or parent that can barely
    turn one on without a step-by-step guide and a 100-minute call to tech
    support.

    IBM / Lenovo:
    IBM (now taken over by Lenovo) has been in business since the dawn of the
    computer age, so you'd think they'd know how to build a computer. And that
    they do, but not inexpensively. IBMs are reliable and well-built, using
    top-quality parts, but the standard T series starts at $1299 for a barebones
    model. Truly powerful ones can quickly reach prices of nearly $3000. To make
    matters worse, they have recently sold their computer manufacturing division
    to Chinese company Lenovo. Time will tell if quality declines significantly.

    LG:
    LG, manufacturer of everything from phones to refrigerators to stereos,
    makes a handful of notebooks. They're high-quality, powerful machines, but
    they're expensive and almost impossible to get anywhere outside of mythical
    LG-land. Check eBay.

    Medion:
    Medion is a new company, just getting their start in the notebook business.
    They make very inexpenpensive, light, and decently powerful computers, but
    the build quality is still questionable. They aren't yet a well-established
    company, so I'm hesitant to reccomend them, but they seem like a soid choice
    for those on a tight budget.

    Panasonic:
    Panasonic's Toughbook line is among the most rugged of laptop computers.
    They're designed for use in extreme environments, with ultra durable cases
    and water-resistant interioirs. They're an expensive, niche-market product,
    but worthwhile if you need the endurance.

    Sager:
    Sager makes high-end gaming machines that bear striking similarities to
    those of Alienware and Falcon Northwest, with one major exception: Sagers
    are much cheaper (and slightly ahead on the technology curve, in some
    cases). Sager is an established company, noted for quality computers. If you
    need the jaw-dropping power of an Alienware, but haven't got the
    jaw-dropping budget to go with it (or even if you do - no one should waste
    money), give Sager a look.

    Sony:
    Sony makes high-quality, lightweight and ultra portable laptops. The VAIO
    series is powerful and reliable, but comes at a high price. Sony's strong
    suit is their new ultra portable notebooks, weighing less than 4 pounds and
    equipped with powerful Centrino processors.

    Toshiba:
    Toshiba used to be the premier source of quality notebook computers with
    their Satellite series of laptops. In recent years, however, build quality
    has declined a bit and the internal components have moved more towards
    integrated ones for cost reasons. No longer cost effective, newer Satellites
    and the new Qosmo series leave much to be desired.

    Centre Parting, May 1, 2009
  13. s

    Curtis Brown Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:37:52 -0700 (PDT), s <> wrote:
    >

    > Personally, I prefer amd over intel any day. I tested both side by
    > side doing the same thing and amd kicks intel's butt hands down.

    For what? Looking at pictures of little girls?

    > I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
    > sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
    > waiting.

    What is that? Version 2 of that Pong game that Radio Shack stole from you?

    > Both best buy and circuit cuity in my opinion, may have good deals,
    > but are still rather high on their price tags.

    Circuit City went out of business in case you haven't heard, dumbfuck.

    Curtis Brown, May 1, 2009
  14. Centre Parting wrote:
    snipped

    > Apple:
    > Apple makes a variety of user-friendly, well-built, compact computers with a
    > moderate level of performance. It's almost impossible to break one, due to
    > the incredibly simple OS and the nigh-indestructible aluminum casing.
    > They're terrific for first time users and know-it-all geeks alike. The
    > downside? They're quite pricey and will run almost nothing due to the Mac
    > OSX operating system.

    Snipped

    Disregard Apple, They are merely expensive jewellery and stupidly
    priced, appealing to wankers and those people who think spending *more*
    means spending *better*. Hopefully this financial crisis puts paid to
    that crazy behaviour.

    Speaking from experience they are not indestructible - and when they
    drop they are insanely expensive to fix.

    Why not go for something cheap (Acer, ASUS) which will run also Linux so
    when the Windows OS you are forced to buy becomes an utter virus ridden
    mess you can at least move to something which just *works*

    Caulfield_man, May 2, 2009
  15. s

    s Guest

    THANKS a lot for the detailed reply and suggestions. I highly
    appreciate your time and advice.
    Thanks again.

    s, May 2, 2009
  16. s

    Mike Easter Guest

    s wrote:

    > THANKS

    Sometimes you top post untrimmed and non conversational, sometimes you
    bottom post untrimmed, and sometimes you post inline, still untrimmed.

    GG help describes how to quote in a reply.... http://snipr.com/h7pj9 How
    can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a reply?

    .... but it doesn't describe trimming.

    Here's an illustration of quoting with attribution, trimming, and
    conversational context http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q2: How
    should I use the quoted text and arrange it with my own text? -- Q3: Why
    shouldn't I quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?

    Also, GG is an extremely disadvantageous way to read and post to usenet
    newsgroups such as this one. GG should only be used for newsgroup
    searches and googlespecific group reading and posting, not usenet.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 2, 2009
  17. Mike Easter wrote:
    > s wrote:
    >
    >> THANKS

    > Sometimes you top post untrimmed and non conversational, sometimes you
    > bottom post untrimmed, and sometimes you post inline, still untrimmed.

    So you were replying to whom ?

    There's rarely any need to trim - it's generally a waste of time and TOTALLY
    anal.

    And as for trimming so readers can't see to what or whom you're replying -
    I'd say you're suffering some from some sort of OCD.

    Centre Parting, May 2, 2009
  18. s

    richard Guest

    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
    >> sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
    >> waiting.

    >You mind explaining that one?

    The languange is "Liberty Basic". www.libertybasic.com
    When I need to "dim" large arrays, the intel shows me a little window
    showing that it's working. The AMD doesn't show that window.

    I also have a card game that on the intel, the cards are shown moving
    slowly to their new place. On the AMD, I don't see that motion at all.

    I even tried this machine's AMD Phenom on secondlife.com just to test
    it out. Rocks the hell out of intel.

    richard, May 2, 2009
  19. s

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 1 May 2009 22:28:38 +0100, "Centre Parting"
    <> wrote:

    >From somewhere roughly c. AD 2005 : -
    >
    >Acer:
    >Acer makes some good budget computers (namely, the Aspire series) and some
    >hideously overpriced "gaming" models (*cough*Ferrari*cough*). If you need a
    >a good business PC on a budget, Acer is definitely the way to go.

    Acer has come a long way since then. Unlike Dell and Gateway which
    both have dropped in appeal. I still have my old Dell but don't use
    it. For laptops, acer is a good deal. For bigger machines, HP is a
    better deal.

    richard, May 2, 2009
  20. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have
    >>> to sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there
    >>> is no waiting.

    >> You mind explaining that one?

    > The languange is "Liberty Basic". www.libertybasic.com When I need to
    > "dim" large arrays, the intel shows me a little window showing that
    > it's working. The AMD doesn't show that window.

    Obviously two different computers. You've stated nothing about the
    models of the two processors and their speed, single- or dual-core, the
    amount of ram, the speed of the hard drives, the speed and ram of the
    video displays, and possibly even different options/preferences in your
    software. ("Show/Don't show little window")

    I'd suggest you are comparing apples to acorns.

    > I also have a card game that on the intel, the cards are shown moving
    > slowly to their new place. On the AMD, I don't see that motion at
    > all.

    So the AMD is a more powerful computer than the Intel.

    I have two Intels here. One of them "dim"s my arrays much faster than
    the other. They are both Intels... so then I can assume that Intels are
    much faster than Intels.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 3, 2009