    Will the data in my shared folder be relatively safe from snoopers, etc on the Internet, or should I do more to protect it?

    Thanks,
    Steve Smith

    Steve Smith, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Steve Smith

    Guest Guest

    Disable Netbios over TCP/IP in your NIC settings

    "Steve Smith" <> wrote in message
    I want to share a folder containing Quick Books data on my office network. I
    want this folder to be safe from my Internet connection. I have two Windows
    XP computers on a peer to peer TCP network connected to a router connected
    to a DSL connection. I will be using a password on the shared folder and
    each computer is using the Windows firewall. My router uses NAT and the
    router access is password protected.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Steve Smith

    elcre Guest

    Are you able to add access lists in your router ?
    you could deny all in/outbound netbios traffic over the router so all
    internal netbios runs smoothly without anyone snooping in on your
    connections
    If your router is sophisticated enough, you could even setup an access list
    that only allows the traffic you want to leave/enter your network

    if all above is impossible, try installing some firewall soft that allows
    you to specify trusted hosts so you can allow the lan pc's to connect, and
    deny everything else

    ...::elcre::..

    elcre, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Steve Smith

    IPGrunt Guest

    "Steve Smith" <> seems to think in

    > I want to share a folder containing Quick Books data on my office
    > network. I want this folder to be safe from my Internet connection. I
    > have two Windows XP computers on a peer to peer TCP network connected
    > to a router connected to a DSL connection. I will be using a password
    > on the shared folder and each computer is using the Windows firewall.
    > My router uses NAT and the router access is password protected.
    >
    > Will the data in my shared folder be relatively safe from snoopers,
    > etc on the Internet, or should I do more to protect it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve Smith

    Steve,

    If you use NAT and the computers on your local network have private, un-
    routable IP addresses (ie, 192.168.X.X, or 10.X.X.X type IP addresses),
    then you are relatively save from most hack attempts.

    If you can configure your firewall to block tcp ports 135, 137, and 139,
    then your Windows shared folders are safe within the bounds of your network
    (as another poster suggested when he said to disable netbios at the
    router).

    Your idea to use passwords on the shared folder is also a good one.

    --
    -- ipgrunt

    IPGrunt, Feb 2, 2004