    http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/ work on the external version?

    Thanks!

    Tom.
    Tom Brehony, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Tom Brehony

    Abe Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:06:18 +0100, "Tom Brehony"
    <> wrote:

    >I have the internal IDE version of the 107 and find it excellent.
    >
    >A friend of mine is thinking of buying the external version as he has a
    >laptop.
    >
    >Questions:
    >I cannot find a review of the external version anywhere. Is is USB or
    >Firewire?
    >
    >Also will the firmware upgrade for the internal version available from
    >http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/ work on the external version?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Tom.

    -------------------------
    Pioneer does not make an external DVR-107. The external model is the
    DVR-S706, which is USB 2.0.
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_17573091_104389910,00.html

    The DVR-S706 has it's own firmware, which is at
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4249_103812929,00.html
    Abe, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Tom Brehony

    Abe Guest

    Abe, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Tom Brehony

    Neil Guest

    "Tom Brehony" <> wrote in message
    >I have the internal IDE version of the 107 and find it excellent.
    >
    > A friend of mine is thinking of buying the external version as he has a
    > laptop.
    >
    > Questions:
    > I cannot find a review of the external version anywhere. Is is USB or
    > Firewire?
    >
    > Also will the firmware upgrade for the internal version available from
    > http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/ work on the external version?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tom.

    Tom

    I found this web page about the external Pioneer drive:

    http://www.meritline.com/pioneer-dvr-107-external-dvd-burner-firewire-1394.html

    As you can see, the external Pioneer 107 has a Firewire interface, not USB.

    According to the web page, the external Pioneer DRV-107 "is not made by
    Pioneer. It is built up with Pioneer's DVR-107 internal drive and high
    quality aluminum external enclosure". That being the case, I would imagine
    that any firmware upgrade for the internal DVR-107 should work just fine on
    the external box.

    How about a Sony unit, like the Sony DRX-530UL Disk Drive? It has both a
    USB 2.0 interface and a Firewire interface, and it supports DVD-ROM,
    DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, as well as
    other less used formats. You can get the unit for around $170.

    I have the Sony DRX-510UL, an external DVD burner. I have been using it for
    the past year or more with no problems. I am quite happy with it. The
    DRX-530UL I mention in the paragraph above is Sony's most recent external
    DVD burner (except for their double-layer external burner, the DRX-700UL
    which is quite new).

    Bear in mind that older notebooks only had USB 1.0 interfaces. Notebooks
    sold recently (in the past 3 years) probably have USB 2.0. Ask you friend
    which kind of USB bus he has.

    Neil
    Salem, MA USA
    Neil, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Tom Brehony

    Tom Brehony Guest

    Tom Brehony, Sep 9, 2004
  6. "Tom Brehony" <> wrote in message
    > I have the internal IDE version of the 107 and find it excellent.
    >
    > A friend of mine is thinking of buying the external version as he has a
    > laptop.
    >
    > Questions:
    > I cannot find a review of the external version anywhere. Is is USB or
    > Firewire?
    >
    > Also will the firmware upgrade for the internal version available from
    > http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/ work on the external version?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tom.

    I have a 107 that I installed in a coolmax USB 2.0 enclosure.
    Works great.
    Both parts can be had from Newegg for about 117 bucks.
    Colon Terminus, Sep 10, 2004