    that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?

    Thanks,

    Mirsky
    Mirsky, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Mirsky

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Mirsky wrote:

    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    > she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    > photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    > about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    > In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    > that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mirsky

    There are actually some scanner groups, Mirsky, where they may be a
    little more up on the subject, that is if you don't get a good
    response here.

    alt.comp.periphs.scanner
    comp.periphs.scanner

    --
    Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Mirsky

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Mirsky" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    > she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    > photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    > about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    > In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    > that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mirsky

    This vendor will give you an idea how much scanning that volume would cost:

    http://www.discountdigitalart.com/slides.html

    Probably a good idea to let them do it rather than buying a scanner. IMHO

    Jim Waggener
    Jim Waggener, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Mirsky wrote:
    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    > she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    > photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    > about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    > In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    > that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?

    I don't know what your time is worth or what level of technical skills
    you have but I was in the same situation. I purchased a Nikon Coolscan
    V ED on eBay for about $550, worked all summer scanning the slides -
    shared the unit with a buddy who then did the same. We then resold the
    unit on Bay for almost what we paid for it $500 or so - total cost in
    dollars was nil but it DOES take a lot of time. Results were excellent,
    though.

    --
    Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
    California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 24, 2006
  5. Mirsky

    clw Guest

    In article
    <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Mirsky <> wrote:

    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    > she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    > photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    > about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    > In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    > that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?

    If your mother is "well to do" take the store. the cost will be many
    times the cost of a slide scanner.

    But, if she is bored and would like to re-live the content of the slides
    one at a time, buy her a Nikon Cool Scan V and set her to work.
    Needless to say, the results of this method will certainly reduce her
    credit card bills!

    In either case, the need to "edit' some of the picts using PSE will be
    about the same. Altho, the disks from the "photo scanning company" will
    be on CD or DVD and thus constitute a back-up that she will not have to
    make.
    clw, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Mirsky

    Jim Guest

    "Mirsky" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    > she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    > photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    > about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    > In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    > that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mirsky

    It would be much cheaper to do the scanning herself. By the time that she
    gets that many slide scans done, she will savvy about doing at least that
    job.
    Jim
    Jim, Apr 25, 2006
  7. Mirsky

    Pete Guest

    I bought an Epson 4870 Photo flatbed scanner. I cost around $500.00
    It can do scans of photos or film. I now scan all my own film. It
    comes with frames for various sizes of film, and one of them is a frame
    for slides. It will scan 8 slides at a time. The scan quality is
    amazing. These also come with the software need to scan and remove
    dust, scratches, etc. If she wants to do it this way that's the way to
    go.

    Anyway, research scanners that do both flatbed and film scanning. They
    are usually less expensive than dedicated film scanners and do just as
    good a job. There are various brands and they all have at least one or
    two models that scan both flatbed and film.

    Of course your mother is going to have to invest a lot of time to do
    this. Consumer grade scanners are a lot slower than pro scanners. So,
    if your mother has the bucks and doesn' t wish to invest a lot of time
    scanning slides then by all means have a pro lab do it. She'll get a CD
    or DVD in a lot shorter time than she would spend, and then she can
    spend her time looking at images rather than scanning.
    Pete, Apr 25, 2006
  8. Mirsky

    sunshine Guest

    Suggest you scan those old photos with a scanner,then create them to
    photo slideshow by DVD burned. Your mom will view the slideshow on TV
    or DVD player easily.

    So you can try Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder for free trial.
    http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/dvd-slideshow-builder.html

    I think your mom isn't afraid those memoried photos.
    sunshine, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Mirsky

    Bob Williams Guest

    Mirsky wrote:
    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    > she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    > photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    > about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    > In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    > that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mirsky

    To put things in perspective, a basic scan with a dedicated film scanner
    will take at least 3 minutes/slide. It will take MUCH longer if you get
    fancy and use Digital ICE and/or some of the other image enhancing
    software.
    For 5,000 slides you are looking at 15,000 minutes or 250 hours!!!!
    Working 2.5 hours/day, every day, 7 days/week you are looking at over 3
    months to complete the job. If Mom isn't very computer savvy, multiply
    that time by 1.5 or 2.
    Bottom Line......It ain't gonna happen.

    Let me suggest two approaches.
    1. Almost certainly, not all 5,000 slides are "keepers".
    So choose the top 10%.....That's still more images than most people
    will voluntarily look at.
    2. Let "Discount Digital Art" (Jim Waggener's suggested site) do a
    Deluxe scan for 45ยข/slide. That is one helluva bargain for a 9MP image
    cropped, color corrected and treated with Digital ICE.
    For $225 the job will ACTUALLY get done with no muss and no fuss and you
    and your mom can get on with your lives..

    If mom has a REAL interest in Digital Photography, you might consider
    getting a Nikon Coolpix 5600 and a Nikon slide copier adapter for about
    $225 total. Then let her copy her choices of slides. That method takes
    about 0.5 minutes per slide and you end up with a 5 MP image.......WAY,
    WAY more resolution than you need for viewing on a TV or Computer.
    That's plenty good enough for making 8x10 enlargements of the creme de
    la creme images
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Apr 25, 2006
  10. Mirsky

    Guest

    I don't know if it has been discussed already, but you also need a lot
    of disc space to store the 5000 scans in high quality.
    So buying an external (or internal) disc will also be necessary.

    But indeed, very time-consuming is the major issue here!
    I'd go for the $225 professional scan.

    -Kris
    http://photoblog.krisvdv.net
    , Apr 25, 2006
  11. Mirsky

    Kernix Guest

    That's a lot of work. See if you can get a bulk price and maybe only
    scan the best images.
    Kernix, Apr 25, 2006
  12. Mirsky

    Ron Baird Guest

    Mirsky wrote:

    >Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    >mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    >period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure if
    >she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides to a
    >photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that savvy
    >about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    >professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do that.
    >In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and companies
    >that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Mirsky

    Greetings,

    Sounds like your Mom has quite a project planned. A quick review of some
    service sites shows that the cost would be somewhere in the 4000 - 50000
    range. Quite a bit of money. You can get some nice equipment for that
    kind of cash.

    Although your Mom is not proficient at scanning and computers, etc., I
    suspect she would be upon completing this project. She would likely gain
    a great deal of knowledge in terms of computing, use of the internet,
    imaging, and creative applications in the doing, not to mention some
    nice equipment. If she has any interest at all, that may be the way to
    go. If she is a busy woman, then maybe not. Most people would enjoy the
    task and take pride in it.

    I would consult with your Mom on the prospects of the task, and of
    course, if she has the 4-5 thousand dollars if she wants someone else to
    do it.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Ron Baird, Apr 25, 2006
  13. Mirsky

    Ric Trexell Guest

    My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, My mom wants to digitize the slides.

    If mom doesn't want to do it herself, I would suggest another option is to
    get a kid that knows his/her way around computers and will come over and
    scan them for her. She could provide a snack and give the kid a few bucks
    an hour. Some 14 year old that does baby sitting for a few bucks per hour
    would jump at a chance to read a book while the computer is scanning, and
    not have to deal with a crying baby. It sounds like a nice summer job. Ric
    in Wisconsin.
    Ric Trexell, Apr 25, 2006
  14. Mirsky

    Matt Guest

    Matt, Apr 26, 2006
  15. Per Mirsky:
    >advice on slide scanners and companies
    >that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?

    I went through the same thing for myself and a couple thousand slides.

    Tried taking a box or two of slides to the local photo store and having them do
    it. They gave me back a set of CDs, but the formatting wasn't what I wanted.
    Especially the file names....

    I'd think their quality was probably better than mine just because they're
    probably using a very expensive scanner - but I didn't care for it.

    Also, there was the anxiety of some minimum wage worker handling my slides and
    maybe losing/damaging them.

    In the end I bought a Nikon CoolScan 4000 and did it myself.

    Some benefits:
    1) As you handle the slides, memories come back.

    2) You can assign file names right then and there.
    e.g. 1981 04-04 Ange Steff John Adrian Steve Easter Film44 0023

    I name my slides starting with year month-day so that if I do a search
    the results can come back sorted in chronological order.

    I suffix them with the source. i.e. if I wanted to re-scan that
    slide or negative, where would I go to physically find it.

    3) You can touch up the scans as needed. For me this was mainly
    lightening too-dark shots, the occasional crop, and some red eye
    removal.

    Some additional costs (over and above the cost of the scanner)
    - Some kind of editing program. It should support lightening,
    darkening, cropping, saving in different formats/resolutions,
    and red eye removal. I splurged on PhotoShop because I wanted
    whatever skills I acquired to be transferable to more outside
    situations. PhotoShop seemed tb the lingua franca at the time.

    - Plenty of hand holding. It may take some significant time just
    to get the person doing the scanning to understand something as
    obvious (to you and me....) as directories/subdirectories - not
    to mention JPEG quality....

    - A storage/retrieval program. Once you have 5,000 scans you need
    to be able to look at them, print selected images, sort them,
    search them and so-on and so-forth. Once again, I splurged
    and chose ThumbsPlus. Does it all. *Might* even perform all
    of the abovementioned editing functions - i.e. maybe I could
    have saved the money spent on PhotoShop.

    I scanned everything at max scanner rez and saved as max quality JPEG.

    I think that scanning at anything less is penny-wise and pound-foolish.
    Even though you can get a decent 4x6 from lower resolution scans, there's
    still the issues of cropping, larger prints, and zooming.

    Purists will save as .TIFF - but the difference in disk space used and
    load times when browsing is so huge that I decided to forgo that.
    If I want to do more extensive editing, I can always re-scan the image
    as .TIFF.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 26, 2006
  16. On 2006-04-24 17:18:22 -0400, Mirsky <> said:

    > Hi. I apologize if this question has been covered here before. My
    > mother has over 5000 slides, taken by my father over a forty-year
    > period. My mom wants to digitize the slides. However, she is unsure
    > if she should buy a scanner to do the job herself or bring the slides
    > to a photography store and have them do it for her. My mom isn't that
    > savvy about computers so I'm tending to think that she should let a
    > professional do the job. However, it might be too expensive to do
    > that. In any case, I'd appreciate any advice on slide scanners and
    > companies that will scan the slides. Which do you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mirsky

    How old is your mother? 5000 slides done right might not leave her a
    lot of years to enjoy the scans.
    --
    Michael | "You're going to need a bigger boat."
    Michael Weinstein, Apr 28, 2006