need advice on choosing web hosting company

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    I am a newbie who had his site(like www.myname.com just containing my
    profile, some 350MB content) at one point. The site contents were
    hosted with my ISP. My previous web hosting company simply pointed the
    DNS entry of www.myname.com to my ISP(www.myisp.com/myuseridwithISP)
    where the site existed. I hope I am explaining it correctly. Please
    correct me if I am wrong as this is what I was told by my ISP.

    But, somehow the domain name did not get auto-renewed, I was not
    informed about it and I lost it. Now, I have to get a similar domain
    name(www.myfirstnamelastname.com) Which would be a proper place to buy
    one? I believe register.com and moniker.com should be fine which
    charge some 10$ for a year, but are there better options?

    Similarly, for hosting which web hosting company might be affordable.
    My earlier site was hosted on Powweb.com which charged some 8$ per
    month.

    What are the things I need to be aware of while getting a domain and
    selecting a web hosting company?

    My requirements are maximum uptime of site, it is a personal site(not
    for business), content size may go up from 350MB to 900MB. The site is
    fully designed so I don't need any tools. All I need is to tell the
    web hosting company to point the new domain to the site hosted on my
    ISP server.

    Can someone please advise? I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but
    as I am a newbie, I don't know much about getting the proper hosting
    company.

    Thanks a lot.
    s, Apr 22, 2009

  2. s wrote:

    > I am a newbie who had his site(like www.myname.com just containing my
    > profile, some 350MB content) at one point. The site contents were
    > hosted with my ISP. My previous web hosting company simply pointed
    > the DNS entry of www.myname.com to my ISP
    > (www.myisp.com/myuseridwithISP) where the site existed. I hope I am
    > explaining it correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong as this is
    > what I was told by my ISP.

    So you are saying you want to use your ISP's free web spaces, rather
    than get proper hosting? I guess that's ok for a hobby site...

    > But, somehow the domain name did not get auto-renewed, I was not
    > informed about it and I lost it. Now, I have to get a similar domain
    > name(www.myfirstnamelastname.com) Which would be a proper place to buy
    > one? I believe register.com and moniker.com should be fine which
    > charge some 10$ for a year, but are there better options?

    There are a few bargain registrars out there, but I would rather advise
    you use a reputable company. godaddy.com is fine (unless you are hosting
    a porn site - and this likely applies to most registrars).

    > Similarly, for hosting which web hosting company might be affordable.
    > My earlier site was hosted on Powweb.com which charged some 8$ per
    > month.

    $6-10 per month is pretty much standard for a shared hosting starter
    package.

    > What are the things I need to be aware of while getting a domain and
    > selecting a web hosting company?

    Standard advice is to never purchase domain names from the same company
    where one gets hosting. If the hosting company goes belly-up, you've
    lost your domain.

    > My requirements are maximum uptime of site, it is a personal site(not
    > for business), content size may go up from 350MB to 900MB. The site
    > is fully designed so I don't need any tools. All I need is to tell
    > the web hosting company to point the new domain to the site hosted on
    > my ISP server.

    Still want to use the ISP space? You have two choices: 1) a framed
    'stealth' redirect from the registrar, or 2) a standard redirect to your
    http://myisp.com/myuserid/ I'd recommend 2, because stealth redirect
    prohibits bookmarking of individual pages of your site.

    Normally, there is little to no support from ISPs for web space. If you
    can afford real hosting, get it. I'd recommend one with "cPanel" control
    panel. You can usually set up domain name email addresses, use
    sub-domains, get stats logs, use databases, server-side programming, and
    lots more advantages.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2009

    Don't trust me; go ask in alt.www.webmaster

    > When you buy a domain the registrar notifies ICANN, in the USA, and
    > ICANN puts that information on their records. So if you buy a doman
    > today and next month the registrar closes up shop, you still own the
    > domain. All you need to do is to find another registrar who is
    > willing to let you use their name servers and that can be done easily
    > by a few services that do that for free.

    While not completely impossible, it is certainly quite difficult to get
    a transfer/release code (EPP transfer code) from a defunct registrar who
    refuses to answer your request for a code, and to unlock the
    registration.

    See point 1 in this section:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_registrar#Domain_name_transfer

    > After the sale, it's basically all handled by ICANN.

    ...and your babbling about ICANN is meaningless, as they are not a
    registrar, cannot be contacted by domain owners, and will not issue an
    EPP transfer code.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2009
  4. s

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:51:13 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Assholes they are.
    >I once lost a domain name simply because I had purchased it through
    >them and even though the domain was hosted elsewhere, the content did
    >not meet their policy.

    So.. You violated a contract you agreed to. That makes them assholes?

    >I will never do business with them.

    I'm sure their happy they have nothing to do with you anymore.
    Evan Platt, Apr 22, 2009
  5. s

    s Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    > > But, somehow the domain name did not get auto-renewed, I was not
    > > informed about it and I lost it. Now, I have to get a similar domain
    > > name(www.myfirstnamelastname.com) Which would be a proper place to buy
    > > one? I believe register.com and moniker.com should be fine which
    > > charge some 10$ for a year, but are there better options?

    > There are a few bargain registrars out there, but I would rather advise
    > you use a reputable company. godaddy.com is fine (unless you are hosting
    > a porn site - and this likely applies to most registrars).

    How do I know which are reputable companies like godaddy.com? How is
    snapnames.com?

    > > Similarly, for hosting which web hosting company might be affordable.
    > > My earlier site was hosted on Powweb.com which charged some 8$ per
    > > month.

    > $6-10 per month is pretty much standard for a shared hosting starter
    > package.

    Which web hosting companies are reputable from which I should
    purchase?

    Thanks, but for my my own site, I don't need those.
    s, Apr 23, 2009
  6. s wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > [Attributes were snipped.]
    >>> But, somehow the domain name did not get auto-renewed, I was not
    >>> informed about it and I lost it. Now, I have to get a similar
    >>> domain name(www.myfirstnamelastname.com) Which would be a proper
    >>> place to buy one? I believe register.com and moniker.com should be
    >>> fine which charge some 10$ for a year, but are there better
    >>> options?

    >> There are a few bargain registrars out there, but I would rather
    >> advise you use a reputable company. godaddy.com is fine (unless you
    >> are hosting a porn site - and this likely applies to most
    >> registrars).

    > How do I know which are reputable companies like godaddy.com? How is
    > snapnames.com?

    snapnames.com appears to be a buy-and-sell existing domains place, not a
    regular registrar. I have several domains with Godaddy, and I am happy
    with them.

    >>> Similarly, for hosting which web hosting company might be
    >>> affordable. My earlier site was hosted on Powweb.com which charged
    >>> some 8$ per month.

    >> $6-10 per month is pretty much standard for a shared hosting starter
    >> package.

    > Which web hosting companies are reputable from which I should
    > purchase?

    Well, there are thousands of hosting companies. I have most of my sites
    hosted with axishost.com

    > Thanks, but for my my own site, I don't need those.

    Don't need what?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2009