    to be a well known brand with decent support.

    Any suggestions please.
    , Feb 25, 2008

  2. Al Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
    > off.
    >
    > I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
    > Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
    > sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
    > that might be better and cheaper.
    >
    > I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
    > and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
    > computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
    > router.
    >
    > I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
    > to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
    > to be a well known brand with decent support.
    >
    > Any suggestions please.

    Draytek 2100 is my choice and have had one for 2 years at home.
    Has one FXS VoIP port but allows the connection of 3 SIP accounts with
    latest firmware.
    Have used various Draytek for other SIP connections I have installed with no
    hassle.
    Al, Feb 25, 2008

  3. Paul G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
    > off.
    >
    > I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
    > Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
    > sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
    > that might be better and cheaper.
    >
    > I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
    > and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
    > computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
    > router.
    >
    > I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
    > to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
    > to be a well known brand with decent support.
    >
    > Any suggestions please.

    Do you need to go for the expense of a whole router? Assuming you already
    have a router on your cable connection, you could just get an adaptor such
    as a Linksys PAP2 (broadbandbuyer.co.uk £31) and plug it into your
    existing router.

    Alternateively if it is a router you need then i'd recommend any of the
    Draytek ones with VOIP but they aren't cheap

    Paul
    Paul G, Feb 25, 2008
  4. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    : : I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the
    : : PC switched off.
    : :
    : : I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to
    : : be available via Sipgate but I get the impression it's
    : : no longer in production, I'm sure I could get one, but
    : : I am wondering if there is anything newer that might be
    : : better and cheaper.
    : :
    : : I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one
    : : desktop computer and so need a router purely so I can
    : : use Sipgate VOIP when the computer is switched off - I
    : : want to connect my home phones to the router.
    : :
    : : I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need
    : : some pointers to a router suitable for this relatively
    : : simple purpose. It would need to be a well known brand
    : : with decent support.
    : :
    : : Any suggestions please.

    I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
    not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
    required.

    However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
    something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 26, 2008
  5. In article <FnHwj.111029$>,
    Al <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
    >> off.
    >>
    >> I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
    >> Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
    >> sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
    >> that might be better and cheaper.
    >>
    >> I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
    >> and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
    >> computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
    >> router.
    >>
    >> I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
    >> to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
    >> to be a well known brand with decent support.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please.

    >Draytek 2100 is my choice and have had one for 2 years at home.
    >Has one FXS VoIP port but allows the connection of 3 SIP accounts with
    >latest firmware.
    >Have used various Draytek for other SIP connections I have installed with no
    >hassle.

    I've installed a log of Draytek routers over the years, but have sort of
    gone off them recently. I found some serious NAT issues in them that
    stopped a simple port-forwarding to work, and trying to use DMZ hosts
    and NAT/port forwarding was a real problem too. Shame as they are
    feature-rich (but maybe that's their problem!)

    I'm looking at Zyxel boxes now, but not really made my mind up yet...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 26, 2008
  6. Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 02:13:37 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >: : I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the
    >: : PC switched off.
    >: :
    >: : I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to
    >: : be available via Sipgate but I get the impression it's
    >: : no longer in production, I'm sure I could get one, but
    >: : I am wondering if there is anything newer that might be
    >: : better and cheaper.
    >: :
    >: : I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one
    >: : desktop computer and so need a router purely so I can
    >: : use Sipgate VOIP when the computer is switched off - I
    >: : want to connect my home phones to the router.
    >: :
    >: : I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need
    >: : some pointers to a router suitable for this relatively
    >: : simple purpose. It would need to be a well known brand
    >: : with decent support.
    >: :
    >: : Any suggestions please.
    >
    >I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
    >not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
    >required.
    >
    >However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
    >something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.
    >

    >Ivor

    An earlier post suggested buying a PAP2 if you already have a suitable
    router. I agree that this is a good option. I would advise that you
    buy a new one and don't go for an iffy ebay second hand one, also make
    sure what you buy is unlocked.
    Out of the same stable, take a look at the Linksys 3102.
    There is a product, the Linksys WRP400, that is new to me, so I can't
    comment on it except that, being Linksys, I find it interesting and I
    would be interested in comments from anyone who has used one.
    There is a similar device with an ADSL moden built in also. The WRP400
    is particularly attractive because it has 2 lines and sells at a
    relatively good price (£56)
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Specifications.asp?ProductID=5200
    Personally, I MUCH prefer the dial plan system of the Linksys devices
    to that of the Fritzbox. The Fritzbox does have a simpler set up but
    the end experience, for the person using the phone, is much more user
    friendly with the Linksys dial plan system.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Feb 26, 2008
  7. Pacman Guest

    >>: : Any suggestions please.
    >>
    >>I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
    >>not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
    >>required.
    >>
    >>However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
    >>something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.
    >>

    >>Ivor

    > An earlier post suggested buying a PAP2 if you already have a suitable
    > router. I agree that this is a good option. I would advise that you
    > buy a new one and don't go for an iffy ebay second hand one, also make
    > sure what you buy is unlocked.
    > Out of the same stable, take a look at the Linksys 3102.
    > There is a product, the Linksys WRP400, that is new to me, so I can't
    > comment on it except that, being Linksys, I find it interesting and I
    > would be interested in comments from anyone who has used one.
    > There is a similar device with an ADSL moden built in also. The WRP400
    > is particularly attractive because it has 2 lines and sells at a
    > relatively good price (£56)
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Specifications.asp?ProductID=5200
    > Personally, I MUCH prefer the dial plan system of the Linksys devices
    > to that of the Fritzbox. The Fritzbox does have a simpler set up but
    > the end experience, for the person using the phone, is much more user
    > friendly with the Linksys dial plan system.

    I would go for the FritzBox as well. (To be honest I have no experience with
    the other devices mentioned above)
    FritzBox works even behind another Router when configured as simple network
    device. FB 7170 has 3 phone connectors and I have now 8 phone numbers active
    (also some Sipgate).
    http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.html
    (sorry German only )

    FritzBox VoIP Fon WLAN 7170 (150 Euros) is now to be replaced by the newer
    7270 (195 Euros) model.

    regards, P

    --
    www.davidata.net/?uk.telecom.voip
    Pacman, Feb 26, 2008
  8. Grumpy Guest

    wrote:
    > I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
    > off.
    >
    > I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
    > Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
    > sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
    > that might be better and cheaper.
    >
    > I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
    > and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
    > computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
    > router.
    >
    > I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
    > to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
    > to be a well known brand with decent support.
    >
    > Any suggestions please.

    Linksys spa3102 ata has a built in router.
    Grumpy, Feb 26, 2008
  9. Guest

    Thanks for those replies.

    In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
    not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
    they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
    some degree!
    , Feb 26, 2008
  10. Nick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for those replies.
    >
    > In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
    > not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
    > they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
    > some degree!

    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink,
    Nick, Feb 26, 2008
  11. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    : : Thanks for those replies.
    : :
    : : In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from
    : : Sipgate as I have not got a router at the moment - at
    : : least if I buy it from them they'll help me set it up
    : : if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to some
    : : degree!

    The TA612V as bought from Sipgate will come pre-configured if you already
    have accounts with them. The problem is it will also be locked so you
    can't use it with anyone else.

    The Sipgate website does have a link whereby you can unlock it, but some
    people have reported problems when doing so. Not used one myself so can't
    comment.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 26, 2008
  12. Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:10:57 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >: : Thanks for those replies.
    >: :
    >: : In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from
    >: : Sipgate as I have not got a router at the moment - at
    >: : least if I buy it from them they'll help me set it up
    >: : if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to some
    >: : degree!
    >
    >The TA612V as bought from Sipgate will come pre-configured if you already
    >have accounts with them. The problem is it will also be locked so you
    >can't use it with anyone else.

    Ivor is spot on. Big mistake, I think, buying a locked device !
    Even if you are happy with Sipgate you won't be able to use any
    additional provider. Being able to do this is one of the big
    advantages of VoIP.
    It isn't like being on BT. If you don't like your VoIP provider, or
    you find a better deal for calling certain destinations, you can move
    in minutes. With a locked device you can't do that.

    ---
    Brian A, Feb 26, 2008
  13. Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:35:04 GMT, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for those replies.
    >>
    >> In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
    >> not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
    >> they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
    >> some degree!
    >>

    >You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink,

    My very thoughts :)

    ---
    Brian A, Feb 26, 2008
  14. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    : : On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:10:57 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    : : <> wrote:

    [snip]

    : : : The TA612V as bought from Sipgate will come
    : : : pre-configured if you already have accounts with
    : : : them. The problem is it will also be locked so you
    : : : can't use it with anyone else.

    : : Ivor is spot on. Big mistake, I think, buying a locked
    : : device !
    : : Even if you are happy with Sipgate you won't be able to
    : : use any additional provider. Being able to do this is
    : : one of the big advantages of VoIP.
    : : It isn't like being on BT. If you don't like your VoIP
    : : provider, or you find a better deal for calling certain
    : : destinations, you can move in minutes. With a locked
    : : device you can't do that.

    Sipgate's website does provide an unlock option for the TA612V and I know
    a couple of people who've done it. However, problems have been reported by
    some people (not my friends so no personal experience).

    Also, note that Sipgate tech support will not support you if you've
    unlocked it, also once you do you lose all your settings and will have to
    re-input them all manually.

    If you're happy with Sipgate then fine, but I prefer flexibility. I have
    accounts from Sipgate, FWD, Gradwell plus a couple of private systems on
    my Fritz!Box.

    Ivor

    : :
    : :
    : :
    : : ---
    Ivor Jones, Feb 26, 2008
  15. Guest

    On Feb 26, 11:46 pm, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    > : : On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:10:57 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >
    > : : <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > : : : The TA612V as bought from Sipgate will come
    > : : : pre-configured if you already have accounts with
    > : : : them. The problem is it will also be locked so you
    > : : : can't use it with anyone else.
    >
    > : : Ivor is spot on. Big mistake, I think, buying a locked
    > : : device !
    > : : Even if you are happy with Sipgate you won't be able to
    > : : use any additional provider. Being able to do this is
    > : : one of the big advantages of VoIP.
    > : : It isn't like being on BT. If you don't like your VoIP
    > : : provider, or you find a better deal for calling certain
    > : : destinations, you can move in minutes. With a locked
    > : : device you can't do that.
    >
    > Sipgate's website does provide an unlock option for the TA612V and I know
    > a couple of people who've done it. However, problems have been reported by
    > some people (not my friends so no personal experience).
    >
    > Also, note that Sipgate tech support will not support you if you've
    > unlocked it, also once you do you lose all your settings and will have to
    > re-input them all manually.
    >
    > If you're happy with Sipgate then fine, but I prefer flexibility. I have
    > accounts from Sipgate, FWD, Gradwell plus a couple of private systems on
    > my Fritz!Box.
    >
    > Ivor
    >
    > : :
    > : :
    > : :
    > : : ---
    > : : Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    > : : ---

    I appreciate all these comments about taking a horse to water etc but
    as I'm a bit of a sad git who doesn't make or receive all that many
    calls and plan to use VOIP purely for the few calls I do make, and as
    a means of getting rid of BT, then I think I'll be fine with Sipgate
    for a while.

    Unless they suddenly put their charges up to 15p per minute I think
    I'm going to be happy using them to make my few calls. I don't need
    extra lines or alternative providers or second numbers or anything
    else I just want to make and receive a few calls via my normal home
    phone sockets and stop giving my cash to BT! If I have a heart attack
    at all the excitement that has been involved I will dial 999 on my
    mobile!

    I love the fancy features on Sipgate like the voicemail and making
    calls go to one number and then another plus the email when a
    voicemail comes in. What I find amusing is the interface when you
    listen to voicemails and when you set things up - there seem to be
    lots of different voices that have been used to make up the individual
    digits - ranging from a miserable old man to a schoolgirl - it all
    sounds a bit naff!!!

    Will my caller id units and the display on my cordless still show the
    incoming number once I've set the router up?
    , Feb 27, 2008
  16. Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:48:48 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

> [...]

    >extra lines or alternative providers or second numbers or anything
    >else I just want to make and receive a few calls via my normal home
    >phone sockets and stop giving my cash to BT! If I have a heart attack
    >at all the excitement that has been involved I will dial 999 on my
    >mobile!
    >
    >I love the fancy features on Sipgate like the voicemail and making
    >calls go to one number and then another plus the email when a
    >voicemail comes in. What I find amusing is the interface when you
    >listen to voicemails and when you set things up - there seem to be
    >lots of different voices that have been used to make up the individual
    >digits - ranging from a miserable old man to a schoolgirl - it all
    >sounds a bit naff!!!
    >
    >Will my caller id units and the display on my cordless still show the
    >incoming number once I've set the router up?

    I, like others have declined to make any comment about your choice of
    provider, in my case because I fear diverting the direction of this
    thread to an all familiar one. Nevertheless I hope things run smoothly
    for you. :)

    ---
    Brian A, Feb 27, 2008
  17. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    :
    : Unless they suddenly put their charges up to 15p per
    : minute I think I'm going to be happy using them to make
    : my few calls. I don't need extra lines or alternative
    : providers or second numbers or anything else I just want
    : to make and receive a few calls via my normal home phone
    : sockets and stop giving my cash to BT! If I have a heart
    : attack at all the excitement that has been involved I
    : will dial 999 on my mobile!

    The TA612V has 2 phone ports so you might as well set up a 2nd number on
    it, it won't cost you anything unless you want to add calling credit for
    outgoing calls, you can make calls to other Sipgate users or to 0800
    numbers without credit. A 2nd number is always a useful thing to have and
    it can be in any area code of your choice, so if you have lots of friends
    in London or Ipswich or wherever for example you could give them a local
    number to call.

    Re. 999 calls, I've never understood why some people insist that VoIP
    should be able to handle it. Relatively few people have VoIP only with no
    landline *or* mobile and quite frankly if my house was burning down I'd be
    calling the fire brigade from across the street.

    : I love the fancy features on Sipgate like the voicemail
    : and making calls go to one number and then another plus
    : the email when a voicemail comes in. What I find amusing
    : is the interface when you listen to voicemails and when
    : you set things up - there seem to be lots of different
    : voices that have been used to make up the individual
    : digits - ranging from a miserable old man to a schoolgirl
    : - it all sounds a bit naff!!!

    That's always been a problem, they were going to re-record the voicemail
    files at one time but it never happened. It does work though.

    : Will my caller id units and the display on my cordless
    : still show the incoming number once I've set the router
    : up?

    Yes, CLI should work ok.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 27, 2008