Need advice on BGP design when Multihomed to 2 ISP's..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by james, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. james

    james Guest

    We are an AS we have the following routers:

    3620 (2 t-1 interfaces) (1 fastE interface)
    3725 (1 t-3 and 1 t-1 interface), (2 fastE interfaces)

    ISPA is T3 link
    ISPB is T1 Link

    ASes will run BGP.

    How would you design this to acheive load sharing/balancing and
    redundancy.

    thanks in advance
    -jd

    P.S. also running dual Nokia's with VRRP behind the router.

    james, Oct 22, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    james <> wrote:
    >We are an AS we have the following routers:
    >
    >3620 (2 t-1 interfaces) (1 fastE interface)
    >3725 (1 t-3 and 1 t-1 interface), (2 fastE interfaces)
    >

    >ISPA is T3 link
    >ISPB is T1 Link
    >
    >ASes will run BGP.
    >
    >How would you design this to acheive load sharing/balancing and
    >redundancy.

    Load sharing between T1 and T3 interfaces seems like a strange thing to
    do. The capacity of a T3 is many times more than a T1. Is it just a
    fractional T3?

    Anyway, for the redundancy part, get the book "High Availability Networking
    Using Cisco" by Vincent Jones. For load balancing, google "BGP load
    balancing" in this newsgroup to learn how difficult it is (and that's when
    you're just trying to balance two circuits with similar bandwidth -- when
    it's a T1 and T3 you'll probably want proportional load sharing, which is
    even harder).

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA

    Barry Margolin, Oct 22, 2003

  3. james

    james Guest

    Thanks very much for the advice Barry.
    Yes the T-3 will be fractional 4 to 5 Mbps.
    But we can increase the bandwidth as needed.
    I'll follow-up with your advice..

    Thanks again,
    -James

    james, Oct 23, 2003