    occasion.

    Thanks in advance!

    Tom Tricep
    Tom Tricep, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Tom Tricep

    meerkat Guest

    "Tom Tricep" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My 80gig HD is full. I need to transfer or keep my usenet downloads on
    > another device. I am thinking I need about 250 gigs, as the CD thing
    > is timeconsuming. Also, some of my movies are 1.5 gigs, so I can't
    > transfer to a CD.
    >
    > I do not have fire wire.
    >
    > Things that I am concerned with are:
    >
    > 1. reliability. Most of my play stuff will be on this drive, not
    > backed up.
    > 2.Transfer rate. Do I need to get my computer modified for fire wire?
    > 3. Simplicity. Can I just plug and transfer, or plug and play?
    > 4. Portability. I would like to take this drive to my home computer on
    > occasion.

    An external USB hard drive will do what you want.
    meerkat, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Tom Tricep

    ChairMan Guest

    In news:,
    Tom Tricep <>spewed forth:
    > My 80gig HD is full. I need to transfer or keep my usenet downloads on
    > another device. I am thinking I need about 250 gigs, as the CD thing
    > is timeconsuming. Also, some of my movies are 1.5 gigs, so I can't
    > transfer to a CD.
    >
    > I do not have fire wire.
    >
    > Things that I am concerned with are:
    >
    > 1. reliability. Most of my play stuff will be on this drive, not
    > backed up.
    > 2.Transfer rate. Do I need to get my computer modified for fire wire?
    > 3. Simplicity. Can I just plug and transfer, or plug and play?
    > 4. Portability. I would like to take this drive to my home computer on
    > occasion.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Tom Tricep

    SATA drive
    ChairMan, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Tom Tricep

    doS Guest

    DVD RW

    doS, Jun 16, 2007
  5. Tom Tricep

    PeeCee Guest

    "Tom Tricep" <> wrote in message
    > My 80gig HD is full. I need to transfer or keep my usenet downloads on
    > another device. I am thinking I need about 250 gigs, as the CD thing
    > is timeconsuming. Also, some of my movies are 1.5 gigs, so I can't
    > transfer to a CD.
    >
    > I do not have fire wire.
    >
    > Things that I am concerned with are:
    >
    > 1. reliability. Most of my play stuff will be on this drive, not
    > backed up.
    > 2.Transfer rate. Do I need to get my computer modified for fire wire?
    > 3. Simplicity. Can I just plug and transfer, or plug and play?
    > 4. Portability. I would like to take this drive to my home computer on
    > occasion.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Tom Tricep

    Tom

    1 If you have USB 2.0 ports then that will do just fine for a USB 250GB
    external hard drive.
    2 not applicable. see # 1
    3 A USB external drive is simplicity itself, Plug, wait till the system
    recognises the drive, Play. (it will come up as the next available drive
    letter, eg if your Optical drive is D: then the external drive will show up
    as E:)
    4 250 GB will be a 3.5" drive and power pack, 'I' think they are quite
    portable.
    But if you want the ultimate in portability go for a 2.5" Laptop drive, they
    don't require a plug pack particularly when used with a cable that has two
    Plugs on the compter end.
    The down side is 2.5" drives max out at about 160GB and are expensive per
    GB.

    Finally don't ignore your backups.
    Time and time again I have people begging me to rescue thier 'data' when
    their drive dies overnight!
    There is no excuse for not doing backups.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 17, 2007