    prefer to stay that way)

    Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
    I'm planning on getting underway with this later today.
    WorkingClassHero, Oct 16, 2004

  2. WorkingClassHero

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Ok,
    >| I'm going to install a 200 gig WD as a slave.
    >| The master is going to be my original 40 gig FAT32 with 98se
    >| installed. Since I cant format the entire 200 gig hd with 98, I
    >| borrowed a friends copy of xp.
    >| I'm planning to boot with the xp cd, and then try and format the
    >| slave 200 gig FAT 32 , as I want to remain with 98se..
    >| I'm hoping after the format and reboot, 98se will recognize the full
    >| 200 gig hd as a slave.
    >| Do you think this will work?
    >| Or would a better way be, just to bite the bullet, and do a full
    >| install of xp?
    >|
    >| (I have many editing programs that require me to use 98 so would
    >| really prefer to stay that way)
    >|
    >| Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
    >| I'm planning on getting underway with this later today.

    No. Partition it into segments Win98 can handle, or install XP.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 16, 2004

  3. why not just dl the software for the hd
    ie maxtor or fujitsu and format it using that
    i cant see how that would be a problem to w98
    having said all that wxp is a much nicer and smoother os to use anyway so
    why .not come into the new millernium

    seymour butts, Oct 16, 2004
  4. WorkingClassHero

    Dodo Guest

    Dodo, Oct 16, 2004
  5. WorkingClassHero

    Dan Evans Guest

    "WorkingClassHero" <> wrote in message
    > Ok,
    > I'm going to install a 200 gig WD as a slave.

    Will your motherboard BIOS support 200 gig? As your running Win98, I'm
    guessing it is old and won't, and you'll only be able to use the first 137
    gig. PLus, if you get it up and running, you'll be limited to a maximum
    volume size of 127 gig when using Fat32.

    Install XP, and if the motherboard is a Win98 vintage, get a new motherboard
    as I doubt that there will be a BIOS update for a model that old. You'll
    also probabyl find that the processor is a bit slow for XP, and the memory
    isn't enough as well.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 17, 2004
  6. "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "WorkingClassHero" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok,
    >> I'm going to install a 200 gig WD as a slave.

    > Will your motherboard BIOS support 200 gig? As your running Win98, I'm
    > guessing it is old and won't, and you'll only be able to use the first 137
    > gig. PLus, if you get it up and running, you'll be limited to a maximum
    > volume size of 127 gig when using Fat32.
    >
    > Install XP, and if the motherboard is a Win98 vintage, get a new
    > motherboard
    > as I doubt that there will be a BIOS update for a model that old. You'll
    > also probabyl find that the processor is a bit slow for XP, and the memory
    > isn't enough as well.
    >
    > Dan

    Thanks for your replies folks.
    Ended up installing xp.
    I now have a dual boot machine.
    Motherboard, and bios, are all purring along just fine.
    Thanks..

    WorkingClassHero, Oct 18, 2004