    think of anything in particular I should know about taking scenic pictures
    of snow scenes, please let me know. Thanks.

    Neal
    Neal Matthis, Dec 27, 2003

  2. "Neal Matthis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm making a trip to Fort Collins, Colorado in early February. Fort

    Collins
    > is about an hour north of Denver. I'll be making a trip up to the rockies
    > for skiing at least one day, maybe two. I'm looking forward to using my

    new
    > Canon Digital Rebel to get some great shots of the snow and the Rocky
    > Mountains. I'm very new to photography and would like some insight about
    > taking scenic pictures of the snow and mountains. Is there a particular
    > filter I should use for the glare of the snow? I imagine a polarizing
    > filter would help with the sky and reduce glare. Anyway, if anyone can
    > think of anything in particular I should know about taking scenic pictures
    > of snow scenes, please let me know. Thanks.

    Polarizing filter, yes. Also, you'll find that the snow will look blue from
    reflection from the sky, so white balance gets to be a problem. If your
    dreble has custom white balance settings, balance it on the snow in the
    sunlight conditions you'll be shooting.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Howard McCollister, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Neal Matthis

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I'm making a trip to Fort Collins, Colorado in early February. Fort Collins
    >is about an hour north of Denver. I'll be making a trip up to the rockies
    >for skiing at least one day, maybe two. I'm looking forward to using my new
    >Canon Digital Rebel to get some great shots of the snow and the Rocky
    >Mountains. I'm very new to photography and would like some insight about
    >taking scenic pictures of the snow and mountains. Is there a particular
    >filter I should use for the glare of the snow? I imagine a polarizing
    >filter would help with the sky and reduce glare. Anyway, if anyone can
    >think of anything in particular I should know about taking scenic pictures
    >of snow scenes, please let me know. Thanks.
    >
    >Neal

    Forget the polarizer as all it is going to give you at this time of the year,
    and considering your location, is overly dark blue to blackish skies. In other
    words the sky will already be deeply blue and the atmosphere crisp and clear.

    Also when you compose a scene with alot of snow the camera is going to
    underexpose so you need to compensate for that by overexposing.
    zbzbzb, Dec 27, 2003
  5. "Neal Matthis" <> wrote in

    > I'm making a trip to Fort Collins, Colorado in early February. Fort
    > Collins is about an hour north of Denver. I'll be making a trip up to
    > the rockies for skiing at least one day, maybe two. I'm looking
    > forward to using my new Canon Digital Rebel to get some great shots of
    > the snow and the Rocky Mountains. I'm very new to photography and
    > would like some insight about taking scenic pictures of the snow and
    > mountains. Is there a particular filter I should use for the glare of
    > the snow? I imagine a polarizing filter would help with the sky and
    > reduce glare. Anyway, if anyone can think of anything in particular I
    > should know about taking scenic pictures of snow scenes, please let me
    > know. Thanks.
    >
    > Neal

    One big item: your light meter (built into the camera) will expose to make
    the metered area 18% gray. In other words, if snow is dominant in your
    scene, it will come out dirty looking and gray, not white. The right way to
    get around this is by using an incident light meter, which is probably not
    the appropriate advice for you. If you can use center-weighted or, better,
    spot metering, do so, and expose for some trees or foliage. Otherwise, you
    will have to use the exposure adjustment feature and increase the exposure.
    Experiment by bracketing a few shots to find out how much to adjust.
    Donald R. Fredkin, Dec 27, 2003