Need advice for installing a new hard drive.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Corliss, May 21, 2007.

  1. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    I've done this many times in other computers, but the system in question
    is an old Compaq Armada 1585DMT laptop computer. It has a 150 mhz
    processor and the old hard drive was a 2.1 gb IBM OEM model DTNA-22160.
    The OS I want to run on this computer will be Windows 98SE. I was unable
    to save the data from the old drive, and the new drive is a Toshiba 40G
    ATA6 MK4032GAX. Both drives are 2.5" form factor.

    The problem I'm running into is that I want to go into the BIOS to have
    the computer recognize the new drive, but unfortunately it seems that
    Compaq was in the habit of having a partition on the hard drive for the
    BIOS. I tried every possible keystroke (F1, Del, F2, F10, etc.) to no avail.

    I've already FDisked the new drive using a W98SE Startup disk, but all I
    can get the system to recognize is 7.5 gb of the drive's actual 40 gb
    capacity.

    This is kind of like a chicken-egg scenario. I have to have the BIOS
    installed on the hard drive to recognize it's size, but if I do that
    there's already a partition in the smaller size.

    Has anybody done this operation before and can they help me?

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, May 21, 2007

  2. you bought a hdd that costs more than the pcs worth, you wont ever see the
    40 gig due to bios limitations...

    Christopher Syn, May 21, 2007

  3. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    Christopher Syn wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> I've done this many times in other computers, but the system in
    >> question is an old Compaq Armada 1585DMT laptop computer. It has a 150
    >> mhz processor and the old hard drive was a 2.1 gb IBM OEM model
    >> DTNA-22160. The OS I want to run on this computer will be Windows
    >> 98SE. I was unable to save the data from the old drive, and the new
    >> drive is a Toshiba 40G ATA6 MK4032GAX. Both drives are 2.5" form factor.
    >>
    >> The problem I'm running into is that I want to go into the BIOS to
    >> have the computer recognize the new drive, but unfortunately it seems
    >> that Compaq was in the habit of having a partition on the hard drive
    >> for the BIOS. I tried every possible keystroke (F1, Del, F2, F10,
    >> etc.) to no avail.
    >>
    >> I've already FDisked the new drive using a W98SE Startup disk, but all
    >> I can get the system to recognize is 7.5 gb of the drive's actual 40
    >> gb capacity.
    >>
    >> This is kind of like a chicken-egg scenario. I have to have the BIOS
    >> installed on the hard drive to recognize it's size, but if I do that
    >> there's already a partition in the smaller size.
    >>
    >> Has anybody done this operation before and can they help me?

    > you bought a hdd that costs more than the pcs worth, you wont ever see
    > the 40 gig due to bios limitations...

    Maybe so, but it was the cheapest hard drive in this form factor that I
    could find (~$40). What about multiple partitions?

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, May 21, 2007
  4. John Corliss

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > Christopher Syn wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:
    >>> I've done this many times in other computers, but the system in question
    >>> is an old Compaq Armada 1585DMT laptop computer. It has a 150 mhz
    >>> processor and the old hard drive was a 2.1 gb IBM OEM model DTNA-22160.
    >>> The OS I want to run on this computer will be Windows 98SE. I was unable
    >>> to save the data from the old drive, and the new drive is a Toshiba 40G
    >>> ATA6 MK4032GAX. Both drives are 2.5" form factor.
    >>>
    >>> The problem I'm running into is that I want to go into the BIOS to have
    >>> the computer recognize the new drive, but unfortunately it seems that
    >>> Compaq was in the habit of having a partition on the hard drive for the
    >>> BIOS. I tried every possible keystroke (F1, Del, F2, F10, etc.) to no
    >>> avail.
    >>>
    >>> I've already FDisked the new drive using a W98SE Startup disk, but all I
    >>> can get the system to recognize is 7.5 gb of the drive's actual 40 gb
    >>> capacity.
    >>>
    >>> This is kind of like a chicken-egg scenario. I have to have the BIOS
    >>> installed on the hard drive to recognize it's size, but if I do that
    >>> there's already a partition in the smaller size.
    >>>
    >>> Has anybody done this operation before and can they help me?

    >> you bought a hdd that costs more than the pcs worth, you wont ever see
    >> the 40 gig due to bios limitations...

    > Maybe so, but it was the cheapest hard drive in this form factor that I
    > could find (~$40). What about multiple partitions?

    Drive overlay programs will resolve the issue. Go to the manufacturer's web
    site and see about installation software. (I couldn't find anything that
    might help.) If Toshiba doesn't have the software, you may need to purchase
    Ontrack Disk Manager or something.
    http://www.ontrack.co.uk/disk-manager/

    WhzzKdd, May 21, 2007
  5. John Corliss

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use MaxBlast
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    pcbutts1, May 21, 2007
  6. John Corliss

    kilikini Guest

    kilikini, May 21, 2007
  7. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >>
    >> Use MaxBlast
    >>
    >> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid
    >> =7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    > Doesn't MaxBlast only work on Maxtor drives?

    If you read the Maxblast decription .pdf available from the Seagate
    website (note that Seagate bought out Maxtor) though, the implication is
    that Maxblast only works with Maxtor drives. Similarly, DiscWizard may
    only work with Seagate drives. I don't know if this is true or not
    because I've never heard of anybody brave enough to take a chance on
    using them with a new non-Maxtor or non-Seagate drive.

    I also notice that Seagate has modified DiscWizard so that it no longer
    provides DDO. What I need is a partioning tool and (if it will work with
    a Compaq BIOS) a dynamic disk overlay (DDO) to enable the drive's entire
    capacity.

    But my main problem is that, like many others, I can't access the
    laptops BIOS. From what I understand, Compaq has a diagnostics tool that
    will create their "BIOS partition". However, all I can find on their
    site for my laptop are two versions of "Diagnostics for Windows" and I
    obviously don't have the OS installed yet because I haven't settled this
    partitioning issue. I can't settle the partitioning issue until I can
    get into the laptop's BIOS.

    Chicken before egg thing again. 80)>

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, May 21, 2007
  8. John Corliss

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the new drive came with a setup disk, use it to partition and format
    the drive.
    A BIOS upgrade doesn't seem to be available, but the BIOS setup
    utility apparently still is.

    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp8501-9000/sp8975.exe

    Ben

    Ben Myers, May 21, 2007
  9. John Corliss

    John Corliss Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >>
    >> I've done this many times in other computers, but the system in question
    >> is an old Compaq Armada 1585DMT laptop computer. It has a 150 mhz
    >> processor and the old hard drive was a 2.1 gb IBM OEM model DTNA-22160.
    >> The OS I want to run on this computer will be Windows 98SE. I was unable
    >> to save the data from the old drive, and the new drive is a Toshiba 40G
    >> ATA6 MK4032GAX. Both drives are 2.5" form factor.
    >>
    >> The problem I'm running into is that I want to go into the BIOS to have
    >> the computer recognize the new drive, but unfortunately it seems that
    >> Compaq was in the habit of having a partition on the hard drive for the
    >> BIOS. I tried every possible keystroke (F1, Del, F2, F10, etc.) to no avail.
    >>
    >> I've already FDisked the new drive using a W98SE Startup disk, but all I
    >> can get the system to recognize is 7.5 gb of the drive's actual 40 gb
    >> capacity.
    >>
    >> This is kind of like a chicken-egg scenario. I have to have the BIOS
    >> installed on the hard drive to recognize it's size, but if I do that
    >> there's already a partition in the smaller size.
    >>
    >> Has anybody done this operation before and can they help me?

    > If the new drive came with a setup disk, use it to partition and format
    > the drive.

    It's an OEM drive (as have been every drive I've bought from Newegg) and
    came with neither documentation nor software. I found adequate
    documentation at the Toshiba site (no User's Guide for this particular
    model for some reason though), but for software they say:

    "Q: My system is not able to recognize all available capacity on my Hard
    Disk Drive. What do I need to do to utilize the complete hard drive?

    A: There are some systems that are unable to recognize the new larger
    Hard Drives on the market. 3rd party software is available that breaks
    the "capacity barrier". A suggestion is Disk Manager DiskGo by Ontrack.
    Check with your local computer/software supplier for availability or
    contact the software manufacturer."

    I _will_ remember this attitude on their part the next time I buy a hard
    drive.

    Regardless, the Windows 98SE Startup Disk's fdisk will partition this
    drive, although it doesn't install a DDO so that I can use all of it.

    > A BIOS upgrade doesn't seem to be available, but the BIOS setup
    > utility apparently still is.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp8501-9000/sp8975.exe

    I'm hoping that you used this file:

    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/allfiles.txt

    to find that download. Otherwise... good Lord, you must have spent a lot
    of time locating that file. By the way, that download is also available
    from here:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...eriesId=96219&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=20

    or if you prefer the TinyURL version:

    http://tinyurl.com/3dbkzy

    But you've pointed me in the direction of their FTP server and that's a
    huge help!

    I have, however, figured out that there are two ways to access the BIOS
    on the Armada:

    1. Use the floppy created by "Computer Setup for Portables" (the
    sp8975.exe download). This worked, but the settings are so limited that
    I didn't realize I was actually IN the BIOS!

    2. Install the same software on the hard drive in a separate partition
    (which must be created BEFORE any other partioning software is used). To
    do this I have to use a disk named the "PC diagnostics diskette", and
    the download for creating this diskette is no longer available from what
    I can see. Hell, I don't even know what the name of this file IS! Had I
    been able to do this though, the BIOS would have been accessible by
    pressing the F10 key at startup.

    Since the two are functionally identical as far as getting into the BIOS
    and the second one is no longer available, I guess my only option is to
    go with the first one. And since I've done this, I can now see that the
    BIOS doesn't allow automatic detection of hard drives and is limited
    regarding how much of the new drive's capacity it will access.

    *Groan* Time to start looking for some kind of Dynamic Disk Overlay
    that's compatible with this computer I guess.

    Thanks for trying though, I really appreciate your time and effort.

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, May 21, 2007
  10. John Corliss

    Ben Myers Guest

    "John Corliss" <> wrote in message news:...
    <snip>
    > I have, however, figured out that there are two ways to access the BIOS
    > on the Armada:
    >
    > 1. Use the floppy created by "Computer Setup for Portables" (the
    > sp8975.exe download). This worked, but the settings are so limited that
    > I didn't realize I was actually IN the BIOS!
    >
    > 2. Install the same software on the hard drive in a separate partition
    > (which must be created BEFORE any other partioning software is used). To
    > do this I have to use a disk named the "PC diagnostics diskette", and
    > the download for creating this diskette is no longer available from what
    > I can see. Hell, I don't even know what the name of this file IS! Had I
    > been able to do this though, the BIOS would have been accessible by
    > pressing the F10 key at startup.
    >
    > Since the two are functionally identical as far as getting into the BIOS
    > and the second one is no longer available, I guess my only option is to
    > go with the first one. And since I've done this, I can now see that the
    > BIOS doesn't allow automatic detection of hard drives and is limited
    > regarding how much of the new drive's capacity it will access.

    You might be able to install the setup utility to the FAT32 partition. Start
    the laptop with a Windows 98 boot floppy, then insert the Compaq setup
    floppy, type "a:\setup /install" and press "Enter". When the process is
    complete, remove the floppy and type "c:\setup" at the DOS prompt.
    Also, several versions of the diagnostic utility are available.

    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp10001-10500/SP10256.EXE
    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp10001-10500/SP10245.EXE

    Both of these contain a "makedisk.bat" file that must be run from the
    "pdiag" folder. For example, if you extract the files to the "c:\windows"
    folder, open a DOS prompt, type "cd c:\windows\pdiag", then
    "makedisk". When asked for the the volume label, type "DIAGS" and
    when asked to format another floppy, just answer "no".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, May 21, 2007
  11. John Corliss

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I don't know but it won't hurt anything to try.

    pcbutts1, May 22, 2007