Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Nov 22, 2008.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC with
    2gb ram and onboard video out.
    The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I went to
    a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low end
    monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).

    I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and maybe
    watching movies.
    The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
    monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
    1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A

    I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay

    Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
    screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
    criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?

    The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or ther
    deals?

    I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance
    Tom, Nov 22, 2008

  2. Tom

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:24:19 -0500, "Tom" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC with
    >2gb ram and onboard video out.
    >The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I went to
    >a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low end
    >monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).
    >
    >I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and maybe
    >watching movies.
    >The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
    >monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
    > 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
    >
    >I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay
    >
    >Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
    >screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
    >criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?
    >
    >The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or ther
    >deals?
    >
    >I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    I've been kind of thinking of putting a nice big monitor in the back
    window of my SUV. Then when some dickhead comes up to close I can
    just press a button and he can see what I think of his driving.

    Never really did think much of Dell's monitors. I have an HP 17"
    widescreen I like though.
    richard, Nov 22, 2008

  3. Tom

    chuckcar Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in news:gg7n07$isa$:

    > Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC
    > with 2gb ram and onboard video out.
    > The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I
    > went to a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low
    > end monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).
    >
    > I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and
    > maybe watching movies.
    > The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
    > monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
    > 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
    >
    > I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay
    >
    > Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
    > screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
    > criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?
    >
    > The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or
    > ther deals?
    >
    > I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any
    > suggestions?

    Two questions to get a straight answer for: 1. what's the dot pitch
    (measured in hundreds of a mm)? 2. What is the minimum number of
    dot failures required for warrenty (free) replacement?

    You don't *get* dot failure with CRT's. They also last longer and have a
    lower dot pitch, hence higher resolution per inch.

    BTW *always* use a followup group unless you're going to check every one
    of those groups you crossposted to.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Tom

    Tony Guest

    I can pitch a hardball around 92 mph. I sometimes see dots in front of my eyes
    when i fall face first in the sand. Anymore questions?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 22, 2008
  5. Tom

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:12:27 -0500, Tony <>
    wrote:

    >I can pitch a hardball around 92 mph. I sometimes see dots in front of my eyes
    >when i fall face first in the sand. Anymore questions?

    Two tequilas should cover it.
    richard, Nov 22, 2008
  6. Tom

    olfart Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:24:19 -0500, "Tom" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC with
    >>2gb ram and onboard video out.
    >>The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I went
    >>a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low end
    >>monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).
    >>
    >>I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and
    >>maybe
    >>watching movies.
    >>The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
    >>monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
    >> 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
    >>
    >>I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay
    >>
    >>Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
    >>screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
    >>criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?
    >>
    >>The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or
    >>ther
    >>deals?
    >>
    >>I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any suggestions?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>

    > I've been kind of thinking of putting a nice big monitor in the back
    > window of my SUV. Then when some dickhead comes up to close I can
    > just press a button and he can see what I think of his driving.
    >
    > Never really did think much of Dell's monitors. I have an HP 17"
    > widescreen I like though.

    you mean....."when *another dickhead comes up close*......"
    olfart, Nov 22, 2008
  7. Tom

    Dave Guest

    "Holend" <> wrote in message
    >I would disable the onboard video and add a nice video card,,, PCI Express

    His computer doesn't seem to have any expansion slots at all...no AGP,
    PCI-Express, or PCI either. -Dave
    Dave, Nov 22, 2008
  8. On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 01:13:40 -0500, olfart aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:24:19 -0500, "Tom" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC with
    >>>2gb ram and onboard video out.
    >>>The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I went
    >>>a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low end
    >>>monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).
    >>>
    >>>I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and
    >>>maybe
    >>>watching movies.
    >>>The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
    >>>monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
    >>> 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
    >>>
    >>>I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay
    >>>
    >>>Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
    >>>screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
    >>>criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?
    >>>
    >>>The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or
    >>>ther
    >>>deals?
    >>>
    >>>I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>

    >> I've been kind of thinking of putting a nice big monitor in the back
    >> window of my SUV. Then when some dickhead comes up to close I can
    >> just press a button and he can see what I think of his driving.
    >>
    >> Never really did think much of Dell's monitors. I have an HP 17"
    >> widescreen I like though.
    >>

    > you mean....."when *another dickhead comes up close*......"

    Just mount a GE minigun on a RC turret and be done with it :)

    http://www.mykeru.com
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 22, 2008
  9. Tom

    chuckcar Guest

    Kingaroori <> wrote in

    > On 22 Nov 2008, chuckcar <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Tom" <> wrote in news:gg7n07$isa$:
    >>> Two questions to get a straight answer for: 1. what's the dot

    >> pitch (measured in hundreds of a mm)? 2. What is the minimum
    >> number of dot failures required for warrenty (free) replacement?
    >>
    >> You don't *get* dot failure with CRT's. They also last longer and
    >> have a lower dot pitch, hence higher resolution per inch.
    >>
    >> BTW *always* use a followup group unless you're going to check
    >> every one of those groups you crossposted to.
    >>

    > Do you mean a CRT is better?

    You're not the OP, so no answer.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 22, 2008
  10. Tom

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:23:08 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >You're not the OP, so no answer.

    Translation:

    "I don't have a clue."
    Evan Platt, Nov 22, 2008
  11. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <> wrote in news:gg7n07$isa$:
    >
    >> Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC
    >> with 2gb ram and onboard video out.
    >> The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I
    >> went to a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low
    >> end monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).
    >>
    >> I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and
    >> maybe watching movies.
    >> The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
    >> monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
    >> 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A
    >>
    >> I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay
    >>
    >> Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
    >> screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
    >> criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?
    >>
    >> The monitor sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or
    >> ther deals?
    >>
    >> I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    > Two questions to get a straight answer for: 1. what's the dot pitch
    > (measured in hundreds of a mm)? 2. What is the minimum number of
    > dot failures required for warrenty (free) replacement?

    a.. Diagonal Size 24 in - Widescreen
    b.. Viewable Size 24 in
    c.. Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.27 mm
    d.. Max Resolution 1920 x 1200
    e.. Response Time 6 ms

    > You don't *get* dot failure with CRT's. They also last longer and have a
    > lower dot pitch, hence higher resolution per inch.

    This is not a problem. If it has any dot failutr I'll send it back.

    > BTW *always* use a followup group unless you're going to check every one
    > of those groups you crossposted to.

    checked the other groups.
    Tom, Nov 22, 2008
  12. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Holend" <> wrote in message
    > Will this be your primary desktop monitor for your PC or do you pland to
    > use it as a home theatre?

    It will be used as my primary desktop monitor. Because they are so cheat I
    might buy a 19" 0r 20" secondary monitor. I've got a Pioneer plasma TV that
    is four years old which means it doesn't have HDMI (v2) so it won't display
    BluRay movies. I'm hoping the 2408WFP will display BluRay 'til I can
    upgraDE MY PLASMA TO A pIONEER Elite Kuro 50" which is the best display
    out there. The problem is I'm gutting the first floor of my house and don't
    want to buy the TV until the rehab is complete.
    Tom, Nov 22, 2008
  13. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Holend" <> wrote in message
    >I would disable the onboard video and add a nice video card,,, PCI Express

    I just checked and the Optiplex SX270 doesn't have expansion slots.
    Tom, Nov 22, 2008
  14. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    > Tom added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >
    >> Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell
    >> SX-270 PC with 2gb ram and onboard video out.
    >> The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out
    >> there. I went to a local best buy to compare monitors but
    >> they seemed to have low end monitors on display. (the 25.5 "
    >> monitor sure looks like).

    > Don't rely on ratings. They do not at all represent your needs nor
    > do they predict what YOU will see. Best to bring a camera memory
    > card with you with some images or whatever kinds of data you want
    > to use to the store and "encourage" them to show you the monitor(s)
    > you're interested in using YOUR data and NOT canned video the store
    > provides.
    >
    > And, be sure to ask what resolutions are supported besides the
    > 16:10 wide-screen natural resolution. Also, look at Samsung.

    very good points!
    Tom, Nov 22, 2008
  15. Tom

    chuckcar Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in news:gga57f$886$:

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    >>> The monitor sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons
    >>> or ther deals?
    >>>

    >> Two questions to get a straight answer for: 1. what's the dot pitch
    >> (measured in hundreds of a mm)? 2. What is the minimum number of
    >> dot failures required for warrenty (free) replacement?

    > a.. Diagonal Size 24 in - Widescreen
    > b.. Viewable Size 24 in
    > c.. Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.27 mm

    Decent.
    > d.. Max Resolution 1920 x 1200
    > e.. Response Time 6 ms
    >

    >> You don't *get* dot failure with CRT's. They also last longer and have
    >> a lower dot pitch, hence higher resolution per inch.

    > This is not a problem. If it has any dot failure I'll send it back.

    *if* you get one before you pay for it, otherwise, it will cost you.
    That's the reason for the question: companies have a lower limit for
    warrenty replacement. You don't get the option for free replacement
    unless there's a certain number of dead "pixels".

    >> BTW *always* use a followup group unless you're going to check every
    >> one of those groups you crossposted to.

    > checked the other groups.

    Daily. If you use a followup to header, the replies *all* get send to one
    group. Thereby you don't have to check every group repeatedly.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 23, 2008
  16. Tom

    > Tom added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >>> Don't rely on ratings. They do not at all represent your
    >>> needs nor do they predict what YOU will see. Best to bring a
    >>> camera memory card with you with some images or whatever
    >>> kinds of data you want to use to the store and "encourage"
    >>> them to show you the monitor(s) you're interested in using
    >>> YOUR data and NOT canned video the store provides.
    >>>
    >>> And, be sure to ask what resolutions are supported besides
    >>> the 16:10 wide-screen natural resolution. Also, look at
    >>> Samsung.

    >> very good points!
    >>

    > Tom, about every time monitor resolution comes up for wide-screens,
    > there is a LOT of controversy swirling around aspect ratio. For me,
    > Windows cannot un-distort my pictures if I choose a supported
    > resolution other than for the original image and neither can Paint
    > Shop Pro, but I'm led to believe that PhotoShop and other apps can.
    > So, for my 4:3 images, I need to select one that IS that, and for a
    > wide-screen image, I can go that way, but pretty much I am stuck
    > with black bars at the left and right. I'd prefer to still be able
    > to buy a large 4:3 monitor but no longer can since I suppose the
    > industry changed to support video, DVDs, and the like. Plus, it is
    > impossible to support all the aspect ratios of digital cameras and
    > the like.
    >
    > FWIW, when I buy anything, I rely about 5-10% on reviews, another
    > 5-10% on first-hand testimonials, and the rest on actually looking
    > at or trying the thing I'm interested in. The problem always seems
    > to be that not everyone views technology in the same way since
    > their needs and wants vary so much, which makes perfect sense.
    >
    > Good luck and have a great weekend!
    >
    > --
    > HP, aka Jerry
    >
    > "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained
    > by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

    Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will only support
    4x3 resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I need one anyway.
    Tom, Nov 23, 2008
  17. Tom

    geoff Guest

    > The Dell 2408WFP

    I bought one based on all the reviews I read because I wanted to go larger.
    My previous monitor was a samsung which I was very happy with.

    The main problem out of the box was the brightness and the reviews say that.
    At the 'out-of-the-box' brightness level, I would get a headache quickly.
    The review sites tell you how to adjust the monitor's rgb values to turn
    down the brightness.

    The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out of the side of
    my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did not see with the samsung.

    The bottom line is, it took a few weeks to get used to the monitor and at
    one point, I wondered if I was a victim of the panel lottery.

    --g
    geoff, Nov 23, 2008
  18. Tom

    John Weiss Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote...

    > Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will only support 4x3
    > resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I need one anyway.

    Are you sure? Make sure your Display tab isn't set to show only resolutions
    supported by currently connected hardware...
    John Weiss, Nov 23, 2008
  19. Tom

    chuckcar Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in

    >> The Dell 2408WFP

    > I bought one based on all the reviews I read because I wanted to go
    > larger. My previous monitor was a samsung which I was very happy with.
    >
    > The main problem out of the box was the brightness and the reviews say
    > that. At the 'out-of-the-box' brightness level, I would get a headache
    > quickly. The review sites tell you how to adjust the monitor's rgb
    > values to turn down the brightness.
    >
    > The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out of the side
    > of my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did not see with the
    > samsung.

    Try a combination of increasing what windows "calls" the refresh rate
    and/or lowering resolution. It sounds like flicker.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 24, 2008
  20. Tom

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >"geoff" <> wrote in
    >

    >> The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out of the side
    >> of my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did not see with the
    >> samsung.

    >Try a combination of increasing what windows "calls" the refresh rate
    >and/or lowering resolution. It sounds like flicker.

    Refresh rate has nothing to do with resolution, to get a better
    picture use a higher refresh rate

    Start | Run <type in>
    DESK.CPL
    <enter>

    Settings - Advanced - Monitor, set the refresh rate as high as it will
    go (be sure "hide modes" below is selected)

    Unless this is a LCD monitor. I didn't check, in that case Refresh
    rate will be 60 Hertz
    --

    Motorcycle accident
    http://flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/