Need advice 272 - I failed...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by ra, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. ra

    ra Guest

    Hello,

    Today is one of my worst day...
    It's really ashamed to say but I failed 272 twice in a week, and both scored
    675. I don't know what to say...

    I've been doing help desk for 5 years, desktop tech for 1.5 years, and
    manufacture tech support for 0.5 year. I passed A+ a month ago and it wasn't
    so hard for me. I first even thought I could pass without study. I studied
    with the latest Microsoft Press (with SP2) and Exam Cram2 for 272. Other
    than the books I went through the practice exams on the CDs comes with the
    books thoroughly. I studied until I got board...

    The problem is the actual exam covered a lot which wasn't covered in these
    books. For example, I don't recall the books covered well about Remote
    Desktop if I'm not mistaken, but I got 4 questions about it.

    The reason I took 272 before 271 was I thought 272 seems more familiar and
    easier since I've been using XP with Office XP or 2003 for years every day
    since it was released. I'm now planning to study for 271 first, then take
    272 later.

    It was my first MCP so I'm sort of frustrated with the results because I
    believe this is entry level of MCP. I'm kind of lost what I'm missing. Any
    advice will be appreciated.

    RA
    ra, Nov 29, 2005

  2. ra

    Taylor Guest

    RA,

    If you can, without violating the NDA, what do you feel like you were
    uncomfortable with during the test? What made you feel unprepared?

    Also, in my opinion, the 70-271 was harder than the 70-272 in a few
    more aspects. So going that route may not be the best thing right now.
    However, I will say this: taking and passing the 70-271 will build a
    foundation for what the 70-272 will ask you questions about.

    Please elaborate a little more on what sections that you did not feel
    comfortable with and I'll try and help.

    Taylor
    ---
    MCP, MCDST
    Taylor, Nov 29, 2005

  3. ra

    ra Guest

    Thanks, Taylor.

    During the exam, I felt uncomfortable that questions were more twisted than
    practice exams, and inclined to the particular items, yet covered very
    widely more than the book covered.

    The chart I received after the exam shows that all the
    categories(troubleshooting, usage, customization, connectivity, and
    security) are almost equally done.

    About your comment on 271 is that exactly what I thought. For the motivation
    reason and retake policy (I can't take for 2 weeks after the second fail),
    I'll go with 271 next time. Do you think the latest Microsoft Press and Exam
    Clam 2 would help most? I've already have those books. Could you please
    advice if anything else I should go over before the exam.

    RA

    ra, Nov 29, 2005
  4. ra

    sarath Guest

    ra

    The books cannot explain whole thing. Books give you main guidelines. You
    have to find additional recourses like MS KB and TechNet “White papersâ€. I
    took 272 yesterday. As you said I got some questions it’s made me crazy. For
    example if you going to buy something online but it cannot do and what
    problem it should be. I didn’t answer first time questions like that and when
    the review time I spend time to think “why†for the answer. If I am going to
    buy something online what I have to verify. What is the main priority? It
    must be Security and site should be trusted. Second thing what is firewall
    doing to block my online buying. Therefore, answer is clear now.

    Best way to answer the questions review answers one by one. You can remove 2
    answers easily. Now the time to verify which one is the right. When you are
    doing the practice exam don’t look for the right answer. Just read why wrong
    answers are wrong.

    Yes. I agree with Taylor, 271 is little harder than 272. As well as I
    suggest you read the post well what Taylor saying and follow him. When I was
    in a trouble with 271 he gave me some priceless advice to find additional
    information what books are not covered.

    Good luck for you study.

    --
    MCP, MCDST
    Hands that help are holier than lips that pray.

    sarath, Nov 29, 2005
  5. ra

    Taylor Guest

    I would recommend that you keep those books, given that they're dealing
    with Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Also, I would recommend
    that if you're going to take the 70-271 exam before you take the 70-272
    exam that you go study www.technet.com by doing a search for the 5th
    section: "Troubleshooting Network Protocols and Services".

    Before you even consider doing the exam, make sure that you know this
    following link without blinking:

    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerId=11583

    That link will send you to free training for MCDST 70-271 and 70-272
    from Microsoft.

    By the way, if you're weak on a certain subject and are only failing
    the test by 25 points, what I recommend that you do is find two
    sections that you are doing poor in and study them and their components
    on TechNet. Yes, the 70-272 exam does deal with Office, however, not to
    the degree that you may have been told.

    Really, take a section, improve upon what questions you know are in the
    exam, and go ace the test.

    Taylor
    --
    MCP, MCDST
    Taylor, Nov 29, 2005
  6. ra

    ra Guest

    Sarath, Taylor,

    I really appreciate your seful advice. I've already got plenty of advice
    from both of you.

    I need to change the idea of using books to get guidelines but not just for
    memorize. I'll check out KB and TechNet “White papersâ€, although I feel a
    little overwhelming by the large volume of information. I'll check out
    websites Taylor recommended, too.

    sarath's comment:
    > When you are doing the practice exam don’t look for the right answer. Just read why wrong answers are wrong.

    This is useful advice. In fact, I was doing the opposite way. I was trying
    to "memorize" the correct answers, but this may not help be applicable in
    real exam since we unlikely get the exactly same questions. They ask
    different way -- that probably why I was lost.

    Thank you again for your kindness and useful advice. I'll probably back with
    other questions.

    RA

    ra, Nov 30, 2005
  7. ra

    Guest

    Sorry to hear that. I imagine your trouble was due to not beinig
    familiar with MS exams.

    For advice I'd say:

    1. Read the questions very carefully. Most of the answer is in the
    question.
    2. Remember you are looking for the BEST answer, most questions have
    several answers that apply.
    3. Knock off answer one by one. Think each answer through by re-reading
    the question.

    Best of luck!

    Ed
    , Dec 4, 2005
  8. ra

    ra Guest

    Ed,

    Thanks for your advice. I'll keep them in mind. Yes, I was not familiar with
    MS exam, and I think CompTIA A+ exam question was more straightforward.

    RA

    ra, Dec 5, 2005