    to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
    recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
    some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

    NoNameAtAll, Jul 14, 2004

  2. NoNameAtAll

    TRR Guest

    My 2ยข I just got an Olympus C755 from Costco on line with 4M and 10x
    and have found it to have the same superior lens work I have always
    liked about Olympus. Hard to beat until you spend some serious money.
    Can't comment on image stabilization because I've never needed it.
    So.....good luck....TRR

    TRR, Jul 14, 2004

  3. On 14 Jul 2004 14:08:48 GMT, ntiSpam
    (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

    >I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
    >First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
    >what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
    >to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
    >recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
    >some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

    Just two points to consider in very short time.

    1. An image stabilizer is something wonderful.

    2. A 3 Megapixel camera with a 10x zoom can create roughly the
    same magnification of a far away object as a 2 Megapixel camera
    with a 12x zoom. (Do the calculations if you want this more
    precisely.)

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 14, 2004
  4. NoNameAtAll

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Panasonic has a Lumix 4 MP with 12x zoom and image stabilitation. I understand
    that it also ahs a Leica lens that maintains a 2.8 apperture at all zooms.
    A friend has it and has dome some very nice Bird photography.

    Check out Steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com for reviews.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 15, 2004
  5. NoNameAtAll

    Pete Guest

    On 14 Jul 2004 14:08:48 GMT, NoNameAtAll wrote:

    > I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
    > First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
    > what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
    > to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
    > recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
    > some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

    I highly recommend the Panasonic DMC FZ10, although it's a little larger
    than others such as the Oly 7XX series.

    You'll find my detailed comparison of the FZ10 and the Oly C720 here:

    http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic.htm

    HTH

    Pete, Jul 15, 2004
  6. On 15 Jul 2004 00:11:07 GMT, et (HRosita) wrote:

    >Panasonic has a Lumix 4 MP with 12x zoom and image stabilitation. I understand
    >that it also ahs a Leica lens that maintains a 2.8 apperture at all zooms.

    Rosita,

    correct, that's the Panasonix Lumix DMC-FZ10.

    >Check out Steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com for reviews.

    Good advice.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 15, 2004
  7. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:25:51 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
    <> wrote:

    >On 15 Jul 2004 00:11:07 GMT, et (HRosita) wrote:
    >
    >>Panasonic has a Lumix 4 MP with 12x zoom and image stabilitation. I understand
    >>that it also ahs a Leica lens that maintains a 2.8 apperture at all zooms.

    >Rosita,
    >
    >correct, that's the Panasonix Lumix DMC-FZ10.
    >
    >>Check out Steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com for reviews.

    >Good advice.
    >
    >Hans-Georg

    Make sure that the IS is optical and not digital. I can get brilliant pictures
    with both the Olympus 2100 and the Canon S1 but the Sony video has electronic
    stabilisation and I feel I have to re-do my holidays as film of proboscis
    monkeys were hopeless and then I was using a monopod to assist. Some of the
    shots were at 10 x zoom but others I must admit were 20X. Neither one nor the
    other were any good.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Jul 15, 2004
  8. "nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message
    []
    > Make sure that the IS is optical and not digital.

    Borge,

    The two choices right now are both mechanical - moving lens elements
    (Canon/Panasonic) and moving the sensor (Konica/Minolta). I don't believe
    that anyone is offering "digital".

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 15, 2004
  9. NoNameAtAll

    Gordon Guest

    Take a look at the Canon S1 IS.

    Gordon

    Gordon, Aug 9, 2004
  10. NoNameAtAll

    Eddy Vortex Guest

    Take a look at the new Panosonic FLZ20. It's the only thing that compares
    with our UZI's at the moment.IMHO. Eddy

    Eddy Vortex, Aug 9, 2004
  11. NoNameAtAll

    Rick S. Guest

    There are a few low cost (under 500$ for optical 10x zoom) out; Kodak,
    Canon, etc. One (the canon S1 IS) has IS (Image stabilization) which
    is a great feature. I bought one, and love it.
    But beware: If you are one of the .01% of people that are going to
    print 8x10 pictures and look at them with magnifying glasses, you will
    see the dreaded 'purple fringing'.
    Mention it in a post, and you'll start a forty line thread on the
    intricacies of this terrible phenomenon. I've never noticed it;
    reading all the posts, I'm sure it's there, and I just don't care.
    The trade-off on the canon is that it is 'only' 3 megapixels.
    Personally, this doesn't bother me; I usually shoot at 1, and if it's
    gonna be a family heirloom photo or something, I'll do 2 megapixels.
    I take hundreds of pictures at any event and on trips; I keep them
    all, print the ones that my wife and like on one of the on-line print
    sites, and I'm a happy camper. For years I used a (shudder) 1.1
    megapixel canon S110, and never regretted only having 1.1 megapixel.
    Ignorance is bliss, eh?
    Rick

    Rick S., Aug 11, 2004