    Thanks

    me
    , Dec 29, 2007

  2. JR Guest

    Take a look here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

    --
    Jørgen Rasmussen
    JR, Dec 29, 2007

  3. Frank Guest

    wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a Firefox addon to capture streaming Media Player
    > files from the web? I am NOT referring to something to save FLV
    > videos from Youtube or similar sites. There are lots of them and I
    > have one that works fine.
    >
    > I'm trying to save streams such as those on many of the tv news
    > websites, which are generally in Windows Media Player format.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > me

    Don't know, but what are you using for capture now and let us know how
    you make out with add on.

    Frank
    Frank, Dec 31, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a Firefox addon to capture streaming Media Player
    > files from the web? I am NOT referring to something to save FLV
    > videos from Youtube or similar sites. There are lots of them and I
    > have one that works fine.
    >
    > I'm trying to save streams such as those on many of the tv news
    > websites, which are generally in Windows Media Player format.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > me

    Windows media recorder

    it's not a addon but it works fine for wmv files

    http://www.wmrecorder.com/index.php

    --

    He who dies with the most TAGLINES wins!
    Peter Boerhof, Jan 1, 2008
  5. Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Boerhof wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a Firefox addon to capture streaming Media Player
    >> files from the web? I am NOT referring to something to save FLV
    >> videos from Youtube or similar sites. There are lots of them and I
    >> have one that works fine.
    >> I'm trying to save streams such as those on many of the tv news
    >> websites, which are generally in Windows Media Player format.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> me

    > Windows media recorder
    >
    > it's not a addon but it works fine for wmv files
    >
    > http://www.wmrecorder.com/index.php

    I've been using it for years and works great. And their tech support is
    very good if you have any problems. It will capture virtually /any/
    streaming media. The bundle also includes some other goodies including
    a very useful format converter.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 1, 2008
  6. Frank Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Boerhof wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a Firefox addon to capture streaming Media Player
    >>> files from the web? I am NOT referring to something to save FLV
    >>> videos from Youtube or similar sites. There are lots of them and I
    >>> have one that works fine. I'm trying to save streams such as those on
    >>> many of the tv news
    >>> websites, which are generally in Windows Media Player format.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> me

    >> Windows media recorder
    >>
    >> it's not a addon but it works fine for wmv files
    >>
    >> http://www.wmrecorder.com/index.php

    > I've been using it for years and works great. And their tech support is
    > very good if you have any problems. It will capture virtually /any/
    > streaming media. The bundle also includes some other goodies including
    > a very useful format converter.

    I downloaded the Firefox add on and it works fine but Windows media
    player will not play FLV's. Free VLC media player will play them. I
    don't understand why browser will play these Youtube flash videos but
    they will not play when downloaded. WMV's are not a problem to capture
    and play. Would be nice to convert FLV's to WMV's. Think you need a
    paid program?

    Frank
    Frank, Jan 1, 2008
  7. Ed Mullen Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Boerhof wrote:

    >>> Windows media recorder
    >>>
    >>> it's not a addon but it works fine for wmv files
    >>>
    >>> http://www.wmrecorder.com/index.php

    >> I've been using it for years and works great. And their tech support
    >> is very good if you have any problems. It will capture virtually
    >> /any/ streaming media. The bundle also includes some other goodies
    >> including a very useful format converter.
    >>

    > I downloaded the Firefox add on and it works fine but Windows media
    > player will not play FLV's. Free VLC media player will play them. I
    > don't understand why browser will play these Youtube flash videos but
    > they will not play when downloaded. WMV's are not a problem to capture
    > and play. Would be nice to convert FLV's to WMV's. Think you need a
    > paid program?
    >
    > Frank

    Try Googling for one.

    http://www.google.com/search?query=flv to wmv&num=50

    The first result:

    http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format/

    ..flv is a Flash video so I suspect the reason Youtube works in a browser
    is that the .flv is being handled by your Flash plugin.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 2, 2008
  8. Frank Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> I've been using it for years and works great. And their tech support
    >>> is very good if you have any problems. It will capture virtually
    >>> /any/ streaming media. The bundle also includes some other goodies
    >>> including a very useful format converter.
    >>>

    >> I downloaded the Firefox add on and it works fine but Windows media
    >> player will not play FLV's. Free VLC media player will play them. I
    >> don't understand why browser will play these Youtube flash videos but
    >> they will not play when downloaded. WMV's are not a problem to capture
    >> and play. Would be nice to convert FLV's to WMV's. Think you need a
    >> paid program?
    >>
    >> Frank

    > Try Googling for one.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?query=flv to wmv&num=50
    >
    > The first result:
    >
    > http://www.l/ ytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format
    >

    > .flv is a Flash video so I suspect the reason Youtube works in a browser
    > is that the .flv is being handled by your Flash plugin.

    That would make sense but when I downloaded a Youtube video and tried to
    play by bringing up Firefox it would not work.

    I have googled, and see converters out there but I guess I was hoping
    for guidance here from someone that had traveled this path before me and
    from your reference, sounds like I have all I need.

    Thanks,
    Frank
    Frank, Jan 2, 2008
  9. Frank Guest

    addendum

    Tried conversion in VLC player but did not work with first few tries.
    Frank, Jan 2, 2008
  10. Frank wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> I downloaded the Firefox add on and it works fine but Windows media
    >>> player will not play FLV's. Free VLC media player will play them. I
    >>> don't understand why browser will play these Youtube flash videos but
    >>> they will not play when downloaded. WMV's are not a problem to capture
    >>> and play. Would be nice to convert FLV's to WMV's. Think you need a
    >>> paid program?
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> Try Googling for one.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?query=flv to wmv&num=50
    >>
    >> The first result:
    >>
    >> http://www.l/ ytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format
    >>

    >> .flv is a Flash video so I suspect the reason Youtube works in a browser
    >> is that the .flv is being handled by your Flash plugin.
    >>

    > That would make sense but when I downloaded a Youtube video and tried to
    > play by bringing up Firefox it would not work.
    >
    > I have googled, and see converters out there but I guess I was hoping
    > for guidance here from someone that had traveled this path before me and
    > from your reference, sounds like I have all I need.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Frank

    files on youtube start out a flash files [.swf], but when
    you download them, they are converted to .flv files.
    Firefox will not play .flv files. Neither will windows media
    player. You need a special file to play them such as Riva:
    http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?id=422&L=3

    The instructions here:
    <http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format>
    tells you how to convert them using VLC, and it does work.
    So, what part of it doesn't work for you?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 2, 2008
  11. Frank Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > files on youtube start out a flash files [.swf], but when you download
    > them, they are converted to .flv files. Firefox will not play .flv
    > files. Neither will windows media player. You need a special file to
    > play them such as Riva: http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?id=422&L=3
    >
    > The instructions here:
    > <http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format>
    > tells you how to convert them using VLC, and it does work. So, what part
    > of it doesn't work for you?

    That explains why Firefox will not play downloaded file.
    Maybe conversion file I'm using "VLC media player" is not as capable as
    one you cite.

    Frank
    Frank, Jan 2, 2008
  12. Frank wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> files on youtube start out a flash files [.swf], but when you download
    >> them, they are converted to .flv files. Firefox will not play .flv
    >> files. Neither will windows media player. You need a special file to
    >> play them such as Riva: http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?id=422&L=3
    >>
    >> The instructions here:
    >> <http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format>
    >> tells you how to convert them using VLC, and it does work. So, what part
    >> of it doesn't work for you?
    >>

    > That explains why Firefox will not play downloaded file.
    > Maybe conversion file I'm using "VLC media player" is not as capable as
    > one you cite.
    >
    > Frank

    I've done some more farting around with vlc and came up with
    this conclusion. The converted files do work in vlc, but
    not in wmp, classic media player, gom, zoom, or any of the
    others I tried. They each said I was missing a codec file,
    but I have the vast majority of them installed, so it can't
    be that. I'll have to try some more testing and see what
    happens.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 2, 2008
  13. Tony Raven Guest

    In article <flgsh2$371$>,
    says...
    > Frank wrote:
    > > Ed Mullen wrote:

    > >> Try Googling for one.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.google.com/search?query=flv to wmv&num=50
    > >>
    > >> The first result:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.l/ ytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format
    > >>

    > >> .flv is a Flash video so I suspect the reason Youtube works in a browser
    > >> is that the .flv is being handled by your Flash plugin.
    > >>

    > > That would make sense but when I downloaded a Youtube video and tried to
    > > play by bringing up Firefox it would not work.
    > >
    > > I have googled, and see converters out there but I guess I was hoping
    > > for guidance here from someone that had traveled this path before me and
    > > from your reference, sounds like I have all I need.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Frank

    > files on youtube start out a flash files [.swf], but when
    > you download them, they are converted to .flv files.
    > Firefox will not play .flv files. Neither will windows media
    > player. You need a special file to play them such as Riva:
    > http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?id=422&L=3

    Windows Media Player will play .flv files (and lots of other formats) if
    you download the K-Lite Codec pack.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Full_d4844.html

    --
    Tony

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
    taken place"
    George Bernard Shaw
    Tony Raven, Jan 2, 2008
  14. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Try Googling for one.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?query=flv to wmv&num=50
    >>>
    >>> The first result:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.l/
    >>> ytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format
    >>>

    >>> .flv is a Flash video so I suspect the reason Youtube works in a
    >>> browser is that the .flv is being handled by your Flash plugin.
    >>>

    >> That would make sense but when I downloaded a Youtube video and tried
    >> to play by bringing up Firefox it would not work.
    >>
    >> I have googled, and see converters out there but I guess I was hoping
    >> for guidance here from someone that had traveled this path before me
    >> and from your reference, sounds like I have all I need.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Frank

    > files on youtube start out a flash files [.swf], but when you download
    > them, they are converted to .flv files. Firefox will not play .flv
    > files. Neither will windows media player. You need a special file to
    > play them such as Riva: http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?id=422&L=3
    >
    > The instructions here:
    > <http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/04/25/how-to-convert-flvflash-to-wmv-avi-or-any-other-format>
    > tells you how to convert them using VLC, and it does work. So, what part
    > of it doesn't work for you?

    I use FLV Player

    http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

    --

    * New Lemon Scented Tagline *****
    Peter Boerhof, Jan 3, 2008
  15. Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:56:10 -0000, Tony Raven
    <> wrote:

    >Windows Media Player will play .flv files (and lots of other formats) if
    >you download the K-Lite Codec pack.
    >http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Full_d4844.html
    >
    >-

    DO NOT try to install K-Lite Codec Pack if you're using Windows 98. I
    did it, and I ended up having to reinstall Windows a few days later.
    After installing that thing Windows crashed continuously.

    I use Applian FLV player to play saved FLV videos and it works great.

    I also found that Downloadhelper 2.5.3 works great to download the FLV
    files from Youtube and a few other similar sites. It ONLY works to
    download these FLV files, NOT other types of video like WMV.
    , Jan 5, 2008
  16. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:57:14 -0600]:
    > On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:56:10 -0000, Tony Raven
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Windows Media Player will play .flv files (and lots of other formats) if
    >>you download the K-Lite Codec pack.
    >>http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Full_d4844.html
    >>
    >>-

    > DO NOT try to install K-Lite Codec Pack if you're using Windows 98. I
    > did it, and I ended up having to reinstall Windows a few days later.

    God. Do not run Windows 98 in 2008.
    Justin, Jan 5, 2008
  17. wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:56:10 -0000, Tony Raven
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Windows Media Player will play .flv files (and lots of other formats) if
    >> you download the K-Lite Codec pack.
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Full_d4844.html
    >>
    >> -

    > DO NOT try to install K-Lite Codec Pack if you're using Windows 98. I
    > did it, and I ended up having to reinstall Windows a few days later.
    > After installing that thing Windows crashed continuously.

    I did and it works without problems.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 5, 2008
  18. Justin wrote:
    > wrote on [Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:57:14 -0600]:
    >> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 23:56:10 -0000, Tony Raven
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows Media Player will play .flv files (and lots of other formats) if
    >>> you download the K-Lite Codec pack.
    >>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Full_d4844.html
    >>>
    >>> -

    >> DO NOT try to install K-Lite Codec Pack if you're using Windows 98. I
    >> did it, and I ended up having to reinstall Windows a few days later.

    > God. Do not run Windows 98 in 2008.

    Well there are those running Mac OS 8 and OS 9 in 2008, and pretty
    successfully too.

    There are reasons to run older OS's, mainly due to system limitations.
    However, may people prefer to stay with an OS they understand and can
    work with. Older Windows can have their advantages. They are no longer
    prime targets for virus and malware writers. Once its limitations are
    understood, a Win 98 OS can be a pretty effective tool.

    I have one machine running Mac OS 9. Its light, clean and fast. A
    machine that by todays standards is severely underpowered, performs
    about as fast as one on todays OS's, simply because it has an OS that it
    designed for its needs. Its too bad that there is no software to back it
    up.

    I agree, most users of Win 98 would be better servered with Win 2000.
    Try eBay to find an install CD.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 5, 2008
  19. Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 06:25:07 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >> God. Do not run Windows 98 in 2008.
    >>

    >Well there are those running Mac OS 8 and OS 9 in 2008, and pretty
    >successfully too.
    >
    >There are reasons to run older OS's, mainly due to system limitations.
    >However, may people prefer to stay with an OS they understand and can
    >work with. Older Windows can have their advantages. They are no longer
    >prime targets for virus and malware writers. Once its limitations are
    >understood, a Win 98 OS can be a pretty effective tool.

    This is exactly why I still use Win98. Older computer, less virus
    attacks, and everything else you said. I do on occasion putter around
    with Win2K, if I feel like swapping hard drives. 2K is OK, works
    fairly well on this computer, but all my stuff is installed on 98 and
    it just seems like too much hassle to change it all for little
    benefit. As for XP, I absolutely hate the thing. I could go into
    specifics, but why bother. I hated it the first time I saw it, hated
    it the one time I installed it on a spare drive, hated it even more
    when a friends computer crashed and she asked me to fix the miserable
    #^%$# thing, and I still hate it. Even the look of it is lousy. If I
    am ever forced to upgrade beyond Win2k, I'll be looking at a Mac or
    Linux. Vista has proven to be the worst POS yet. 98 works just fine,
    it often gets a little hard to find USB drivers, but thats a small
    price to pay for something that works well and dont irritate me.

    >I have one machine running Mac OS 9. Its light, clean and fast. A
    >machine that by todays standards is severely underpowered, performs
    >about as fast as one on todays OS's, simply because it has an OS that it
    >designed for its needs. Its too bad that there is no software to back it
    >up.
    >
    >I agree, most users of Win 98 would be better servered with Win 2000.
    >Try eBay to find an install CD.

    This computer came with 2K installed and reg'd. I put the 98 drive
    from my old computer in the computer the day after I got it. But like
    I said, I did keep that installation and once or twice a year I play
    with it for a few hours when I want to rip the case open to swap
    drives.

    I never have to really reinstall 98 either. I have two complete
    installations of my whole setup cloned on spare harddrives. So, when
    something like K-lite crashes me, I just swap to another drive,
    install my backups, and format and clone the screwed up setup. XP
    does not allow drive swapping from computer to computer. I tried.
    Dont work.

    >Lee
    , Jan 5, 2008
  20. Tony Raven Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > 98 works just fine,
    > it often gets a little hard to find USB drivers, but thats a small
    > price to pay for something that works well and dont irritate me.

    I was just pleased to get away from the frequent blue screens of death
    when I upgraded to XP

    Tony

    "He who innovates will have for his enemies all those who are well off
    under the existing order of things, and only lukewarm supporters in
    those who might be better off under the new."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli
    Tony Raven, Jan 5, 2008