    In terms of DHCP, will the router issue the client an IP address, or
    would DHCP request from the remote client make it to the lan and served
    by the LAN's own DHCP server ?

    JF Mezei, May 6, 2010

  2. JF Mezei

    Rob Guest

    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > I need to have my Mac laptop access my LAN from remote wi-fi/mobile
    > networks. The Mac does have "Cisco VPN" capabilities.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate a pointer to some cookbook on what needs to
    > be done to set this up. (or some config that works).
    >

    > Is it correct that Cisco VPN uses port 1723 with the IP/GRE protocol ?
    > How does the router itself intercept incoming GRE connection request ?
    > Via NAT entry pointing to the router's own IP address ?
    >
    > In terms of authentication, if I already have a minimal radius server on
    > the Cisco, is this enough to authenticate VPN clients ? Or do I need a
    > more sophisticated server on another machine ?
    >
    > In terms of DHCP, will the router issue the client an IP address, or
    > would DHCP request from the remote client make it to the lan and served
    > by the LAN's own DHCP server ?

    Are you sure this "Cisco VPN" on the Mac is in fact that port 1723 with
    the IP/GRE protocol? (commonly known as PPTP)

    It is possible to configure PPTP on a Cisco, and I could show you how,
    but it would not surprise me if that is not what the Mac is actually
    trying to use...

    Rob, May 6, 2010

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Are you sure this "Cisco VPN" on the Mac is in fact that port 1723 with
    > the IP/GRE protocol? (commonly known as PPTP)

    The Mac offers the following VPN options:

    L2TP over IPsec
    PPTP
    Cisco IPsec

    I *assume* that the Cisco IPsec is the one that would have the best
    chance of working on a 871W router.

    JF Mezei, May 6, 2010
  4. JF Mezei

    Rob Guest

    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >

    >> Are you sure this "Cisco VPN" on the Mac is in fact that port 1723 with
    >> the IP/GRE protocol? (commonly known as PPTP)

    > The Mac offers the following VPN options:
    >
    > L2TP over IPsec
    > PPTP
    > Cisco IPsec
    >
    > I *assume* that the Cisco IPsec is the one that would have the best
    > chance of working on a 871W router.

    Probably. I don't know what config it assumes, though.
    Maybe you can find documentation on the Apple website.

    Rob, May 6, 2010
  5. JF Mezei <> writes:
    >> Are you sure this "Cisco VPN" on the Mac is in fact that port 1723 with
    >> the IP/GRE protocol? (commonly known as PPTP)

    >The Mac offers the following VPN options:

    >L2TP over IPsec
    >PPTP
    >Cisco IPsec

    >I *assume* that the Cisco IPsec is the one that would have the best
    >chance of working on a 871W router.

    Cisco IPSec is an implementation that is supposed to work just like
    the 'Cisco IPSec VPN Client' software that Cisco makes (but did such a
    poor job porting it to the Mac in the past, so Apple must have
    partnered with them to do a working one).

    Following any of the guides for Cisco VPN Client to IOS config should
    get you there.

    I haven't done this though, since I have VPNTracker licenses, which
    can be setup to work with just about anything & everything with very
    little effort.

    Doug McIntyre, May 6, 2010