Need a stable platform to work with, so which OS is better ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mark Natto, Jul 26, 2008.

  1. Mark Natto

    Mark Natto Guest

    I am in middle of making another PC for my daily tasks, the base hardware
    would be :
    Asus P5N-E SLI
    8GB DDR2-800 (if going XP32 then 3GB)
    GF-7300GT
    Xeon E3110 Dual 3GHz-1333bus (the spare mobo I have wont take any of the
    quad 45nm CPU and I am not keen on the Q6600/6700)

    Most if not all of my software are 32bits, but I would like to take
    advantage of the 64bit OS for memory when running VM, plus I do find XP64
    seems to work a whole lot faster than XP32 on another test machine I have.
    I am no great fan of Vista, since day 1 I have been battling with it for
    clients, but with SP1 it restored a bit of faith so may be I should give it
    a chance and use Vista64 Business as my core OS, but I would like some
    feedbacks on people whom have used it for a while, I normally change my core
    OS every other years due to the amount of software I need to install , plus
    the time to customize it, it will then get imaged and use over and over
    again, so a good solid foundation is a must.

    Thanks
    Mark Natto, Jul 26, 2008

  2. You need 64-bit to take advantage of your RAM, so if you opt for 32-bit,
    you're right to settle at 3 GB. As for Vista v. XP x64 - the driver
    situation is better for Vista 64, and that advantage will only increase.
    It's stable, I live in it. But it _does_ have a learning curve. OTOH, I'm
    now quite happy with it, and running XP feels "dated". Both support 32-bit
    programs equally well.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2008

  3. Mark Natto

    S.SubZero Guest

    With XP 32-bit, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    running indefinitely.

    With XP 64-bit, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    running indefinitely.

    With Vista x64, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    running indefinitely.
    S.SubZero, Jul 26, 2008
  4. "S.SubZero" <> wrote in message
    > With XP 32-bit, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    > running indefinitely.
    >
    > With XP 64-bit, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    > running indefinitely.
    >
    > With Vista x64, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    > running indefinitely.

    Vista and 64bits is the future but it depends entirely on your hardware and
    what things you do with your computer, neither of which do you say anything
    about.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2008
  5. Mark Natto

    N Brown Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > "S.SubZero" <> wrote in message
    >> With XP 32-bit, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    >> running indefinitely.
    >>
    >> With XP 64-bit, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    >> running indefinitely.
    >>
    >> With Vista x64, I could walk away from it and have no worries about it
    >> running indefinitely.

    > Vista and 64bits is the future but it depends entirely on your hardware
    > and what things you do with your computer, neither of which do you say
    > anything about.

    The future is now!, (well on ny rig anyway) Looks like the hrdware you
    listed would be fine,
    what about input devices? What software? You need to check for 64 bit
    Vista drivers and check
    SOftware compatibility.

    My experience On Vista 64 with a Kick mulimedia setup and doing audio/video
    editing, Playing
    some Games and researching the web ;-) is that Vista 64 Ulitimate is the
    best operating system I've
    worked with.

    I believe that if Apple doesn't go 64 bit it will be their downfall.

    N Brown
    N Brown, Aug 8, 2008