Need a remote-file editor for Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Wayne Delia, May 7, 2005.

  1. Wayne Delia

    Wayne Delia Guest

    I have an old IBM NetVista which just had a free heart transplant - no
    kidding! It's about 6 or 7 years old, and I had heard rumors that IBM
    sold or gave away replacement motherboards when common symptoms appeared
    (i.e. machine automatically reboots itself every minute or so due to
    some fried capacitors or something like that). Called IBM, and to my
    surprise not only was the machine still under warrantee, but it included
    "on-site" (my home) service. A field engineer showed up two days later,
    popped in the new motherboard, and I'm good to go. This is my 3rd
    machine, which is good since I have two pre-teen kids who spend a lot of
    time at their respective computers.

    So I installed Linux (Red Hat 9) on the machine and it's working fairly
    well for my needs - Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email and
    newsgroups. All I need now is an open-source (preferably) remote-file
    editor for Linux. For all I know there could be one hidden within this
    install image, and I've read of others i.e. TRAMP but the user's manual
    and the actual install procedure don't seem to be connected. Anything
    available which doesn't require a PhD to install? I need to edit files
    on a remote server with known IPaddress, access account/password, etc.

    Thanks,
    WMD

    --
    Wayne Delia,
    Delta Iota Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Sigma at Marist College

    Wayne Delia, May 7, 2005

  2. Wayne Delia

    Wayne Delia Guest

    Wayne Delia wrote:

    > So I installed Linux (Red Hat 9) on the machine and it's working fairly
    > well for my needs - Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email and
    > newsgroups. All I need now is an open-source (preferably) remote-file
    > editor for Linux. For all I know there could be one hidden within this
    > install image, and I've read of others i.e. TRAMP but the user's manual
    > and the actual install procedure don't seem to be connected. Anything
    > available which doesn't require a PhD to install? I need to edit files
    > on a remote server with known IPaddress, access account/password, etc.

    D'OH! Maybe if I installed TRAMP using the root account instead of my
    personal account it would (and did) work better. OK, now I've got TRAMP
    installed, and it appears to edit files pretty well. I'll play around
    with that and will try to remember to RTFM.

    Wayne Delia, May 7, 2005

  3. Wayne Delia wrote:
    > It's about 6 or 7 years old
    > Called IBM, and to my
    > surprise not only was the machine still under warrantee, but it included
    > "on-site" (my home) service. A field engineer showed up two days later,
    > popped in the new motherboard, and I'm good to go.

    Let's see, I'm trying to imagine some reason IBM went out of the
    personal computer business ... hmm ... nope, can't think of any reason.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 7, 2005
  4. Wayne Delia

    Scraggy Guest

    Wayne Delia wrote:
    > I have an old IBM NetVista which just had a free heart transplant - no
    > kidding! It's about 6 or 7 years old, and I had heard rumors that IBM
    > sold or gave away replacement motherboards when common symptoms
    > appeared (i.e. machine automatically reboots itself every minute or
    > so due to some fried capacitors or something like that). Called IBM,
    > and to my surprise not only was the machine still under warrantee,

    snip
    Just a FYI, the PC was under warranty, YOU were the warrantee.
    --
    Unless you were doing something really strange to your machine.

    Scraggy, May 7, 2005
  5. Wayne Delia

    Guest

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:29:02 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    |>Wayne Delia wrote:
    |>> It's about 6 or 7 years old
    |>> Called IBM, and to my
    |>> surprise not only was the machine still under warrantee, but it included
    |>> "on-site" (my home) service. A field engineer showed up two days later,
    |>> popped in the new motherboard, and I'm good to go.

    |>Let's see, I'm trying to imagine some reason IBM went out of the
    |>personal computer business ... hmm ... nope, can't think of any reason.

    I had a Mother Board that went TU over a hard drive of all things; a
    few days later someone came to the house and replaced it (MB) free of
    charge.

    It was an Amiga 2000, they are no longer in business, wonder if your
    on to something here :)

    --

    , May 7, 2005
  6. Wayne Delia

    Parko Guest

    Wayne Delia wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > D'OH! Maybe if I installed TRAMP using the root account instead of my
    > personal account it would (and did) work better. OK, now I've got TRAMP
    > installed, and it appears to edit files pretty well. I'll play around
    > with that and will try to remember to RTFM.

    Actually I think you'll find that this one works quite well:
    http://www.webmin.com/
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, May 7, 2005
  7. Wayne Delia

    Keme Guest

    Scraggy wrote:
    > Wayne Delia wrote:

    [...]
    >> and to my surprise not only was the machine still under warrantee,

    > snip
    > Just a FYI, the PC was under warranty, YOU were the warrantee.

    So if Wayne sat on it... :)

    Keme, May 7, 2005
  8. wrote:

    > |>Let's see, I'm trying to imagine some reason IBM went out of the
    > |>personal computer business ... hmm ... nope, can't think of any reason.
    >
    > I had a Mother Board that went TU over a hard drive of all things; a
    > few days later someone came to the house and replaced it (MB) free of
    > charge.
    >
    > It was an Amiga 2000, they are no longer in business, wonder if your
    > on to something here :)

    Did the repairman have feet larger than Ronald McDonald and carry around
    an odoriferous mustard jar?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 7, 2005
  9. Wayne Delia

    Scraggy Guest

    Keme wrote:
    > Scraggy wrote:
    >> Wayne Delia wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>> and to my surprise not only was the machine still under warrantee,

    >> snip
    >> Just a FYI, the PC was under warranty, YOU were the warrantee.

    > So if Wayne sat on it... :)

    :)
    --
    Nothing worse than being over warranted.

    Scraggy, May 7, 2005
  10. Wayne Delia

    Guest

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:19:09 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    |>> I had a Mother Board that went TU over a hard drive of all things; a
    |>> few days later someone came to the house and replaced it (MB) free of
    |>> charge.

    |>> It was an Amiga 3000, they are no longer in business, wonder if your
    |>> on to something here :)

    |>Did the repairman have feet larger than Ronald McDonald and carry around
    |>an odoriferous mustard jar?

    That would of be me...

    --

    , May 7, 2005
  11. Wayne Delia

    Wayne Delia Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Wayne Delia wrote:
    >
    >> It's about 6 or 7 years old
    >> Called IBM, and to my surprise not only was the machine still under
    >> warrantee, but it included "on-site" (my home) service. A field
    >> engineer showed up two days later, popped in the new motherboard, and
    >> I'm good to go.

    > Let's see, I'm trying to imagine some reason IBM went out of the
    > personal computer business ... hmm ... nope, can't think of any reason.

    "We sell at less than cost, and make up the difference through volume."
    Seriously, IBM's distribution got clobbered by Dell and pretty much
    every other player in the game. IBM couldn't ship a freakin' box of air
    in less than 10 days - if you want a computer in that box, it'll take
    another few weeks. Ordered a laptop for mother-in-law for Christmas
    2002, and requested an additional 128MB of memory - they said it would
    take an extra 2 weeks due to "customer-requested modification." I told
    them just to tape the chip to the inside of the box and I'd install and
    test it in 20 minutes, including coffee break.

    Wayne Delia, May 7, 2005