Need a player that plays anything!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by paul, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. paul

    paul Guest

    Hi there - I am in the UK looking for a cheap dvd player (Around £50)
    with the following spec.

    - Macrovision Free
    (Because I don't have a scart socket on my crap tv so need to run the
    dvd player thru the vcr)

    - Multi-Region

    - Plays pretty much any VCD and DVD's. Definitly needs to play
    DVDR's. (Not overly bothered about the very obsure formats, and not
    overly bothered about divx, though it would be nice)

    - MP3 and JPG Support would be nice, but again not essential.

    Not overly bothered about the make, so long as it gets good reviews.

    I am in the UK by the way - can anyone help me and reccommend a good
    player for me please?

    Many thanks

    Paul

    paul, Mar 29, 2005

  2. paul

    Brian Guest

    Take a look at www.dvdrhelp.com
    I think LG DVD recorders may be what you are looking for.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Mar 29, 2005

  3. paul

    pertnoy Guest

    Xbox plays all, even divx, xvid,
    Norcent DP-300 plays everything but not divx

    pertnoy, Mar 29, 2005
  4. > (paul) wrote:

    >Hi there - I am in the UK looking for a cheap dvd player (Around £50)
    >with the following spec.
    >
    >- Macrovision Free
    >(Because I don't have a scart socket on my crap tv so need to run the
    >dvd player thru the vcr)
    >
    >- Multi-Region
    >
    >- Plays pretty much any VCD and DVD's. Definitly needs to play
    >DVDR's. (Not overly bothered about the very obsure formats, and not
    >overly bothered about divx, though it would be nice)
    >
    >- MP3 and JPG Support would be nice, but again not essential.
    >
    >Not overly bothered about the make, so long as it gets good reviews.
    >
    >I am in the UK by the way - can anyone help me and reccommend a good
    >player for me please?

    Do you have the Philips DVP642 there? (Note: I've read that a recent
    firmware update reinstates macrovision protection, among other things.
    It can be removed, but before updating it's best to know what you're
    updating to.) Incidentally, are you sure that your VCR will create a
    problem with respect to macrovision? My RCA VCRs have no difficulty
    that way.

    An excellent source of information is www.videohelp.com

    Maureen Goldman, Mar 29, 2005
  5. pertnoy wrote:
    > Xbox plays all, even divx, xvid,

    True, and that's what I use, but the poster wanted a player for 50 quid,
    a new XBox is 150USD and chips run about 40, so the total would be
    double the price.

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 29, 2005