    isn't a Gateway brand for it to function with a Gate way Computer? And,
    if it doesn't matter, which type of monitor is recommendable that can
    actually last?
    ibex, Dec 31, 2004

  2. ibex

    HF Guest

    READ some reviews - the internet is a big place.

    HF, Dec 31, 2004

  3. ibex

    HF Guest

    HF, Dec 31, 2004
  4. ibex wrote:

    > I'm looking for a new monitor, and my original monitor which is a
    > Gateway EV700, is a piece of crap that is broken. My computer is a 1999
    > Gateway Model. I have some questions: Does it matter if the monitor
    > isn't a Gateway brand for it to function with a Gate way Computer? And,
    > if it doesn't matter, which type of monitor is recommendable that can
    > actually last?

    Any standard monitor will work. If it is just the monitor you are
    chaning, make sure you go for a D-Sub type connection (or S-Dub, I can't
    remember which). Recently, monitors have had a new connection. I bought
    a LG CRT recently and it had the "wrong" connection for my graphics
    card. However, it did come with an adapter.

    Make sure you don't accidently buy a Mac monitor!

    --

    There is nothing wrong with your news reader.
    Do not attempt to adjust your settings.

    Please stand by.
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 1, 2005
  5. ibex

    ibex Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    > Any standard monitor will work. If it is just the monitor you are
    > chaning, make sure you go for a D-Sub type connection (or S-Dub, I

    can't
    > remember which). Recently, monitors have had a new connection. I

    bought
    > a LG CRT recently and it had the "wrong" connection for my graphics
    > card. However, it did come with an adapter.
    >
    > Make sure you don't accidently buy a Mac monitor!

    Hey

    Thanks for the reply!
    One question though, is buying used monitors advisable?
    ibex, Jan 2, 2005
  6. ibex wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply!

    no problem!

    > One question though, is buying used monitors advisable?

    There isn't much point to be honest. If you are talking about a CRT
    monitor (the square ones, not the flat-pannel ones) then no. They're as
    cheap as they have ever been and come with warrenties. I've had second
    hand monitors before. One of them worked fine for an hour, then the
    whole thing went green. I turned it off and let it cool down, and it
    worked fine. For an hour. Then it did it again. Total waste of money for me.

    If you know the seller, if it is less than 1 year old, then go for it.
    Otherwise, I personally, would avoid them.

    If you are looking for new monitors, I've never had a problem with the
    "LG" brand. I also have a coupple of Samsungs. Actually, the one I'm
    using now whilst typing this post is a Samsung "SyncMaster 750s". It's
    about 4 or 5 years old and works relatively ok - it's starting to fade a
    bit, but then it has been turned on almost continuously since I bought
    it. My latest one is an LG Studioworks 700s. Works fine, but has
    distortion in the corners.

    As long as you spend about £80 for a 17 inch ($160) you should do ok.
    Don't go for the cheapest of the cheap because, although they legally
    have to be replaced within a year if they fail, it's a lot of hasstle.

    hope this helps!

    --

    http://www.weyounsworld.info/downloads/sounds/ol.mp3
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 2, 2005