Need A Good Laugh?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by JesseTX, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    From a test question in the Total Recall A+ study material:

    "Where is the date and time stored when the computer is turned off?"

    You ready for this answer? In the CMOS battery! I am not joking,
    that is what it says! I have heard of batteries having a "memory
    effect", but that's the first time I have heard of a battery being
    able to store data!

    JesseTX, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Thanks for the Laugh.

    The Pugmaster

    From a test question in the Total Recall A+ study material:

    The Pugmaster, Oct 27, 2003

  3. JesseTX

    Shadooby Guest

    In article <nc2nb.3653$>,
    torgny@@direcway.com says...

    >After reading all your posts about Total Recall's study material I can only
    >advice you to burn their shit and forget you ever baught it!!

    Total Recall is voucher seller, the study material is an afterthought bundled
    only by regulation in order to sell vouchers. You're SUPPOSED to throw it
    away. Consider it to be the wrapper your voucher came in.

    Shadooby, Oct 27, 2003
  4. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:09:22 GMT, (Shadooby)
    wrote:

    >Total Recall is voucher seller, the study material is an afterthought bundled
    >only by regulation in order to sell vouchers. You're SUPPOSED to throw it
    >away. Consider it to be the wrapper your voucher came in.

    I can believe that. But what is also funny is they have a "pass"
    guarantee with their material. If you don't pass after 2 tries, they
    will refund at least some of the money you paid for the books. Now I
    didn't read the fine print and see if that includes when the books are
    bundled with the vouchers.

    JesseTX, Oct 27, 2003
  5. The BIOS is executable CODE stored in a PROM [flash memory these days].

    CMOS is the DATA area for the bios, or at least part of it, classically
    stored in battery backed up CMOS memory, because one of the items stored
    in CMOS is the date and time, which is updated continuously even when
    the computer is off. Thus this CMOS memory and the "clock" that updates
    it are kept "alive" by the motherboard battery, even when the power is
    down. Note that "CMOS" is an extremely low power form of IC memory and
    is therefore well suited for battery backup.

    In additon to the date/time, among the other information that may be
    stored in CMOS memory are the password, hard drive paramters and all or
    some of the various chipset and motherboard setup parameters, as well as
    a "checksum" so that the system will know if the data becomes invalid
    for any reason.

    The key point here, again, is that the BIOS is executable CODE, while
    the contents of CMOS are DATA. And the reason that it's stored in CMOS
    battery backed up RAM is two-fold, first, the clock needs to be kept
    running and it's time (stored in CMOS memory) continually updated, even
    when the computer is off, and secondly, flash memory has a limited
    number of write cycles before it's destroyed, and while the number is
    large, if the time was stored in the BIOS' flash memory, the flash
    memory would be destroyed by the large number of writes. [Modern flash
    memory has a life expectancy of 100,000 to 1,000,000 write cycles, but
    there are 31 million seconds in a year]. However, since only the time
    is HIGHLY variable, the motherboard and BIOS vendor have quite a bit of
    flexibility as to which parameters are stored in the BIOS flash memory,
    and which are stored in CMOS memory.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Re: Need A Good Laugh? US $95 for A+ Voucher Bundle

    Hello Guy!!!!

    I passed A+ Exam!!!!

    I got discounted voucher from www.Getcertified4less.com for only US $95.
    and two vouchers for only 188

    I was able to get more discount when I used
    Poromtion code <b>1188 </b>

    Good Luck

    Network+ voucher, Oct 31, 2003