    in terms of employment? Also, where can the test be taken? Is it offered
    online and if so is that more affordable then taking it at a testing center?
    Any help will be appreciated.

    Victek, Apr 17, 2007

  2. Victek

    Adebisi Guest

    On Apr 17, 11:28 am, "Victek" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I've been working with computers for a while and I'm thinking about getting
    > A+ Certified. Do you find that having the A+ Cert helps in the real world
    > in terms of employment? Also, where can the test be taken? Is it offered
    > online and if so is that more affordable then taking it at a testing center?
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    It will help you get work at Best Buy or something like that, and some
    companies have it as a minimum requirement for employment, so having
    it is better then not having it. Having said that, I have been A+
    certified awhile now and really have not felt a whole bunch of benefit
    from it. Having it does display a more then hobbyist level commitment
    to the business. I would say it is worth the relative ease and cost
    to acquire.

    You generally take the test at a testing center, I do not know of any
    legitimate online testing in North America. You often register and
    pay over the net and get your appointment and address for the test to
    do in person.

    Adebisi, Apr 18, 2007

    www.comptia.org Is where you can locate testing centers

    Dusty Steenbock, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Victek wrote:

    -=[ deletia ]=-

    > Thanks for the reply. I became interested in the A+ Cert because the
    > lack of it caused me to be passed over for a couple of jobs. It's
    > annoying to not be given the opportunity to demonstrate one's skills, so
    > as you say the A+ is probably worth it if it helps you get in the door.
    > Can you suggest a good way to locate a testing center in my area, and is
    > there a significant price range for the test depending on where you go?

    www.comptia.org is the place to start for more information about the
    certification in general, etc...

    The exams are administered by Thompson Prometric ( www.2test.com ) and
    Pearson VUE ( www.vue.com ).

    There is no difference or advantage to one testing company vs. the
    other. The exams are computer based and the questions are randomly
    selected. Go to each site and find the closest test center to you.

    The easiest way to pay is to use an exam voucher. You can buy one
    directly from CompTIA or if you look around you can get them at a
    discount on the web. I have used www.getcertify4less.com in the past for
    my vouchers and have never had a problem with them. I have no other
    interest in them except as a satisfied customer.

    After you get the voucher, register for the exam and use the voucher
    number for "payment". You'll need two vouchers as there are two exams.

    Right now, you still have your choice of exams to take. Until June 30th,
    you can still take either the 2003 exams or the new 2006 exams. After
    June 30th, only the new 2006 exams.

    Good luck!

    John
    --
    John Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+

    John P. Dearing, Apr 18, 2007
  5. John P. Dearing wrote:

    Following up to my own post....

    One last thing, there are Thompson Prometric vouchers and Pearson VUE
    vouchers. They are *NOT* interchangeable.

    Pick your testing location first and then get the corresponding voucher.

    John

    John P. Dearing, Apr 18, 2007
  6. Victek

    Victek Guest

    "John P. Dearing" <> wrote in message
    > John P. Dearing wrote:
    >
    > Following up to my own post....
    >
    > One last thing, there are Thompson Prometric vouchers and Pearson VUE
    > vouchers. They are *NOT* interchangeable.
    >
    > Pick your testing location first and then get the corresponding voucher.
    >
    > John

    All good advice - thank you very much.

    Victek, Apr 18, 2007
  7. Victek

    Victek Guest

    > www.comptia.org is the place to start for more information about the
    > certification in general, etc...
    >
    > The exams are administered by Thompson Prometric ( www.2test.com ) and
    > Pearson VUE ( www.vue.com ).
    >
    > There is no difference or advantage to one testing company vs. the other.
    > The exams are computer based and the questions are randomly selected. Go
    > to each site and find the closest test center to you.
    >
    > The easiest way to pay is to use an exam voucher. You can buy one directly
    > from CompTIA or if you look around you can get them at a discount on the
    > web. I have used www.getcertify4less.com in the past for my vouchers and
    > have never had a problem with them. I have no other interest in them
    > except as a satisfied customer.
    >
    > After you get the voucher, register for the exam and use the voucher
    > number for "payment". You'll need two vouchers as there are two exams.
    >
    > Right now, you still have your choice of exams to take. Until June 30th,
    > you can still take either the 2003 exams or the new 2006 exams. After June
    > 30th, only the new 2006 exams.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > John
    > --
    > John Dearing
    > A+, Network+, Server+
    > To Reply: Just drop YOUR PANTS in my address! :cool:

    John,
    With regard to the old and new test, someone I spoke with recently said if
    you pass the old test you're good for life, but if you take/pass the new
    test it's only good for five years after which you have to get additional
    training to stay current. Is that accurate?

    Victek, Apr 19, 2007
  8. Victek

    JohnO Guest

    > John,
    > With regard to the old and new test, someone I spoke with recently said if
    > you pass the old test you're good for life, but if you take/pass the new
    > test it's only good for five years after which you have to get additional
    > training to stay current.

    >Is that accurate?

    Different John here, but the answer is NO. 100%, absolutely NO.

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 19, 2007
  9. Victek

    Victek Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    >> John,
    >> With regard to the old and new test, someone I spoke with recently said
    >> if
    >> you pass the old test you're good for life, but if you take/pass the new
    >> test it's only good for five years after which you have to get additional
    >> training to stay current.

    >>Is that accurate?

    > Different John here, but the answer is NO. 100%, absolutely NO.
    >
    > -John O

    Thanks for the reply John, however I'm not sure which part of my question
    you're emphatically saying NO to. Does the A+ Cert (regardless of which
    test was taken) have to be renewed at intervals? If so, is additional
    training part of the renewal criteria? (this is the case in many other
    fields of study that require certifications/licenses so I won't be surprised
    if it's true here too)

    Victek, Apr 19, 2007
  10. Victek

    JohnO Guest

    On Apr 19, 12:04 pm, "Victek" <> wrote:
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > >> John,
    > >> With regard to the old and new test, someone I spoke with recently said
    > >> if
    > >> you pass the old test you're good for life, but if you take/pass the new
    > >> test it's only good for five years after which you have to get additional
    > >> training to stay current.

    > >>Is that accurate?

    > > Different John here, but the answer is NO. 100%, absolutely NO.

    > > -John O

    > Thanks for the reply John, however I'm not sure which part of my question
    > you're emphatically saying NO to. Does the A+ Cert (regardless of which
    > test was taken) have to be renewed at intervals? If so, is additional
    > training part of the renewal criteria? (this is the case in many other
    > fields of study that require certifications/licenses so I won't be surprised
    > if it's true here too)

    The new one is just like the old one...good for life. The "someone"
    you spoke to was not accurate, not even close. Slap him next time you
    see him, OK? <just kidding>

    The cert only verifies that you have the skills needed to *qualify*
    for the job, then once on the job your skills will quickly surpass
    whatever is on the exam. Taking it again is pointless because you are
    an experienced pro and the test doesn't measure experienced pros.
    That's the theory. In practice you typically specialize on something,
    so the new exam probably covers some things you don't deal with on a
    regular basis.

    -John O

    JohnO, Apr 19, 2007
  11. Victek

    Victek Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 19, 12:04 pm, "Victek" <> wrote:
    >> "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    >> > Different John here, but the answer is NO. 100%, absolutely NO.

    >> > -John O

    >> Thanks for the reply John, however I'm not sure which part of my question
    >> you're emphatically saying NO to. Does the A+ Cert (regardless of which
    >> test was taken) have to be renewed at intervals? If so, is additional
    >> training part of the renewal criteria? (this is the case in many other
    >> fields of study that require certifications/licenses so I won't be
    >> surprised
    >> if it's true here too)

    > The new one is just like the old one...good for life. The "someone"
    > you spoke to was not accurate, not even close. Slap him next time you
    > see him, OK? <just kidding>
    >
    > The cert only verifies that you have the skills needed to *qualify*
    > for the job, then once on the job your skills will quickly surpass
    > whatever is on the exam. Taking it again is pointless because you are
    > an experienced pro and the test doesn't measure experienced pros.
    > That's the theory. In practice you typically specialize on something,
    > so the new exam probably covers some things you don't deal with on a
    > regular basis.
    >
    > -John O

    Thanks, all is clear now. Regarding the guy that gave me the incorrect
    information, I don't know him very well yet, but perhaps down the road when
    I know him better......<g>

    Victek, Apr 19, 2007