    l e o Guest

    Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
    lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

    l e o, Apr 8, 2006

  2. l e o

    Scott W Guest

    Scott W, Apr 8, 2006

  3. l e o <> writes:
    > Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
    > lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

    I *wouldn't* recommend what I use, a Bogen 3265 quick-release grip.
    It's really nice, but a 20D+300mm is on the ragged edge of what's
    stable on that head.

    One of my friends has a 322RC2 grip (with the sideways grip), and that
    one I'd trust, however.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta

    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

    Richard Kaszeta, Apr 8, 2006
  4. l e o wrote:
    > Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
    > lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

    I suggest a good quality ball head, like a Bogen B1 as a minimum.
    That way once you decide the Bogen 3001 tripod is too light
    and flimsy for 300mm (an in my opinion it is), then when
    you upgrade tripods, you will not have to spend more money
    and upgrade the head too.

    When getting into telephoto lenses, it is my opinion that
    you should get good quick release plates that have stops
    to prevent the lens from sliding out of the clamp when
    the clamp is loosened. This becomes important when
    you want to balance the system. I use Wimberly clamps
    and plates: http://www.tripodhead.com

    For telephoto work, the Wimberly sidekick is nice for
    small lenses like the 300 f/4. The problem with ball
    or pan heads is that the camera will flop over when the
    movements are loosened, which you must do to follow
    action. The Wimberly class heads allow completely
    loose operation and the lens and camera can be balanced
    so when you let go, the camera stays pointed at the same
    spot.

    When you decide to upgrade tripods, consider carbon fiber.
    Carbon fiber damps vibrations well, which is very important
    in telephoto work. For 300 mm lenses, Gitzo 1228 class tripods
    work very well.

    Roger
    photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Apr 8, 2006