    borrow mine. ;)

    Recommendations?

    ef
    EF in FLA, Jul 23, 2006

  2. EF in FLA

    Guest

    EF in FLA wrote:
    > 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    > borrow mine. ;)
    > Recommendations?

    Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
    but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
    controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
    cards. Uses 4 AA batteries. LOTS of photos - even flash - per set of
    batteries or charge (if you use rechargeables).

    , Jul 23, 2006

  3. EF in FLA

    Stewy Guest

    In article <Lrywg.1474$>,
    "EF in FLA" <> wrote:

    > 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    > borrow mine. ;)
    >
    > Recommendations?

    handgun or rifle?
    Stewy, Jul 23, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > EF in FLA wrote:
    >> 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking
    >> borrow mine. ;)
    >> Recommendations?

    > Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
    > but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
    > controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
    > cards. Uses 4 AA batteries.

    I'm not sure what camera you have in mind, but it's definitely not the Canon
    S60. The S60 has a 28-100mm (equiv.) lens and uses a Li-ion battery, not AA
    cells.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Jul 23, 2006
  5. "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message
    >3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    >borrow mine. ;)
    >
    > Recommendations?

    Nikon Coolpix 3200, 4100 or 4600 in ascending order of preference. You
    should be able to find at least one of those in your $100 range on eBay.
    They are 3- and 4-megapixel cameras that take two AA cells, very easy to
    use, compact and lightweight, versatile, reliable, take nice sharp photos.
    My sister has a 4100 and loves it.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Jul 23, 2006
  6. EF in FLA

    EF in FLA Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> EF in FLA wrote:
    >>> 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking
    >>> borrow mine. ;)
    >>> Recommendations?

    >> Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
    >> but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
    >> controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
    >> cards. Uses 4 AA batteries.

    > I'm not sure what camera you have in mind, but it's definitely not the
    > Canon S60. The S60 has a 28-100mm (equiv.) lens and uses a Li-ion battery,
    > not AA cells.

    Plus the fact that they're bringing $200+ on Ebay.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Jul 23, 2006
  7. "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
    >>> but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
    >>> controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
    >>> cards. Uses 4 AA batteries.

    >> I'm not sure what camera you have in mind, but it's definitely not the
    >> Canon S60. The S60 has a 28-100mm (equiv.) lens and uses a Li-ion
    >> battery, not AA cells.
    >>

    > Plus the fact that they're bringing $200+ on Ebay.

    I'm not surprised. It's a relatively expensive compact. I have one myself
    and while it's a very nice camera, it is probably more camera than your wife
    needs or would want.

    I just checked eBay and of the three Nikon models I mentioned in my other
    reply, I see there are quite a few Coolpix 4600s up for sale and most should
    go for something around $100, give or take a little. Cameta Camera is
    selling several -- Cameta is a very honest and reliable seller whom I've
    dealt with for years, since long before he started selling on eBay. Highly
    recommended.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Jul 23, 2006
  8. EF in FLA

    SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > EF in FLA wrote:
    >> 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    >> borrow mine. ;)
    >> Recommendations?

    > Go on eBay. Look for a Canon S60. Small enough to carry in purse -
    > but big enough to conveniently handle and with convenient-size
    > controls. Top "film speed" 400. 35-105 equiv. zoom lens. Uses CF
    > cards. Uses 4 AA batteries. LOTS of photos - even flash - per set of
    > batteries or charge (if you use rechargeables).

    I think that you mean the A60.
    SMS, Jul 23, 2006
  9. EF in FLA

    Ace Guest

    EF in FLA wrote:
    > 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    > borrow mine. ;)
    >
    > Recommendations?
    >
    > ef

    Simple. Give her yours and buy yourself a new one.

    Bob AZ
    Ace, Jul 23, 2006
  10. EF in FLA

    EF in FLA Guest

    > Nikon Coolpix 3200, 4100 or 4600 in ascending order of preference.

    Good advice on the little Nikons. I always liked the look of those and
    their size and cost is just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Jul 23, 2006
  11. EF in FLA

    Mamamia Guest

    In article <Lrywg.1474$>,
    "EF in FLA" <> wrote:
    > 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    > borrow mine. ;)
    > Recommendations?
    > ef

    Newegg.com has 14 digital cameras at up to $100:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2070070012 4027&Submit=EN
    E&SubCategory=12
    --
    We could certainly slow the aging process down
    if it had to work its way through Congress.
    Mamamia, Jul 23, 2006
  12. EF in FLA

    EF in FLA Guest

    EF in FLA, Jul 23, 2006
  13. EF in FLA wrote:

    > 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop
    > asking to borrow mine. ;)
    >
    > Recommendations?

    EF, we've been down this road before in another group and you know that the
    only acceptable camera for taking eBay auction pictures is the Nikon D2x.
    Using anything else is totally and utterly foolish and monumentally stupid.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 23, 2006
  14. EF in FLA

    EF in FLA Guest

    > EF, we've been down this road before in another group and you know that
    > the
    > only acceptable camera for taking eBay auction pictures is the Nikon D2x.
    > Using anything else is totally and utterly foolish and monumentally
    > stupid.

    Yes'm, seems I have read those words somewhere before.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Jul 23, 2006
  15. EF in FLA wrote:

    >> EF, we've been down this road before in another group and you know
    >> that the
    >> only acceptable camera for taking eBay auction pictures is the Nikon
    >> D2x. Using anything else is totally and utterly foolish and
    >> monumentally stupid.

    > Yes'm, seems I have read those words somewhere before.

    Seriously, if you can stomach the thought of buying from Ritz they have a
    CoolPix L4 on sale for $129.99. I guess this is only for walk-in customers?

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 23, 2006
  16. Ï "EF in FLA" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop asking to
    > borrow mine. ;)
    >
    > Recommendations?

    I have the Kodak CX 7300, 99 euros (now C 310 I think)that takes very nicely
    exposed and with high acutance pictures.I strongly recommend you get
    something new, we get every week complaints in this group from people that
    have bought used junk.By looking at any photo shop window, you'll find that
    you have a wide choice, but at this price range your choice is limited,
    because the digital cameras need much more (sophisticated)hardware than
    simple, 35 mm, P&S cameras.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 23, 2006
  17. EF in FLA

    Robert Barr Guest

    Hit ebay and look for a Kodak DX-7440. Some of the listings include the
    printer dock, for even easier novice usage.

    Robert Barr, Jul 23, 2006
  18. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > EF in FLA wrote:
    >
    >> 3 or 4 megapx, just something easy for her to use so she'll stop
    >> asking to borrow mine. ;)
    >>
    >> Recommendations?

    > EF, we've been down this road before in another group and you know that
    > the
    > only acceptable camera for taking eBay auction pictures is the Nikon D2x.

    The D2x is hard to find at the $100 price point, though.

    Try to think of the Coolpix 4600 as a sort of D2x with some design features
    missing to allow it to sell for about $4500 less. The "Nikon" logo on the
    front is almost identical, which is the important thing.

    Anyway the 4100/4600 cameras will take far, far better eBay auction photos
    than many of those I've seen on eBay. And I know you won't disagree with
    that. Granted, they can't use your beloved SB-800s, but even so . . .

    > Using anything else is totally and utterly foolish and monumentally
    > stupid.

    As is using anything less than a fourteen-wheeler to go grocery shopping?
    ;-)

    Speaking of eBay, how's Krabby Kris & Her Krackpot Koterie these days? Still
    as bitchy? I haven't looked in on that newsgroup for many months, must get
    back to it some day soon.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Jul 23, 2006
  19. Neil Harrington wrote:

    > The D2x is hard to find at the $100 price point, though.

    LOL! It's an inside joke to stimulate the idiots in that other group EF,
    yourself, and I frequent. You know I always reccommend to use whatever
    works for eBay pics.

    > Speaking of eBay, how's Krabby Kris & Her Krackpot Koterie these
    > days? Still as bitchy? I haven't looked in on that newsgroup for many
    > months, must get back to it some day soon.

    Just like a reoccurring venereal disease they are always coming back.
    That's why I devote 10-minutes a day to "kick the nest" up there to see what
    falls out.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 23, 2006
  20. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > EF in FLA wrote:
    >
    >>> EF, we've been down this road before in another group and you know
    >>> that the
    >>> only acceptable camera for taking eBay auction pictures is the Nikon
    >>> D2x. Using anything else is totally and utterly foolish and
    >>> monumentally stupid.

    >> Yes'm, seems I have read those words somewhere before.

    > Seriously, if you can stomach the thought of buying from Ritz they have a
    > CoolPix L4 on sale for $129.99. I guess this is only for walk-in
    > customers?

    Ritz is okay (why "if you can stomach the thought"?), but I'm not so
    enthused about the Coolpix L series. Like many other makers, Nikon has
    abandoned the optical viewfinder on these new ultracompact models in favor
    of a larger LCD monitor. The larger LCD is nice, but having no optical
    finder can be exasperating in bright sunlight on every such camera I've
    used.

    I think Nikon's high point in ultracompacts was the 3200/4100/4600 models
    for AA-battery use, or for some more bucks the 4200/5200/5900/7900 models
    which are my favorites for that size camera. Nikon hasn't come out with
    anything since that I find as appealing, I'm sorry to say. The P3 and P4 are
    interesting but again, no optical viewfinder and that cools my interest
    considerably.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Jul 23, 2006