NED (Nano-Emissive Display) Monitor

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Repost from alt.video.dvd.tech:

    I want my new NED computer monitor and NED-HDTV (Ned Head TV).

    Dubbed "nano emissive display" (NED), the new technology
    developed by Motorola, Inc. enables manufacturers to design
    large flat panel displays that exceed the image quality
    characteristics of plasma and LCD screens at a lower cost.
    Motorola currently is in discussions with electronics
    manufacturers in Europe and Asia to license the technology for
    commercialization.

    NED technology is potentially the cheapest and best alternative
    to CRT and LCD screens and is easily scalable. The technology
    could be used by ad agencies erecting monolithic 100-inch
    roadside billboards. With technology like this being available,
    who in their right mind would purchase a plasma display.

    Converting a liquid crystal display, or LCD, production facility
    to NED manufacturing would require about half its equipment to
    be replaced, while a plasma display facility would require about
    a quarter to be replaced. Hopefully, plasma manufacturers will
    quickly make the conversion to the NED technology.

    Of course, until consumers and manufacturers see a nano-emissive
    display running the latest Hollywood blockbuster or are able to
    surf the Web on a 60-inch prototype, the carbon nanotube
    alternative will remain an attractive experiment.

    http://www.techreview.com/articles/05/05/wo/wo_052405brandon.1.a
    sp

    http://news.cnet.co.uk/monitors/0,39029684,39189021,00.htm

    GraB, Jul 2, 2005

  2. GraB

    Jerry Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > NED technology is potentially the cheapest and best alternative
    > to CRT and LCD screens and is easily scalable. The technology
    > could be used by ad agencies erecting monolithic 100-inch
    > roadside billboards. With technology like this being available,
    > who in their right mind would purchase a plasma display.

    100 inches is 2 and a half meters. Just a bit shy of a monolithic
    roadside billboard I'd think. Might be fine for a big living room.

    Jerry, Jul 2, 2005