NEC Unveils First HD-DVD Multi-Reader.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://webplus.dvd-recordable.org/Article2172.phtml

    The world's first 5 1/4 inch PC drive HR-1100A for HD-DVDs from NEC
    will be available from October onwards. The HD DVD drive plays back
    HD-DVDs, DVDs and CDs. This is all down to the optical head that was
    developed by NEC which can read blue, red and ultra-violet light.

    NEC's HD-DVD Multi-Reader, the HR-1100A
    The NEC HD DVD Multireader HR-1100A is the first drive that is capable
    of reading the HD-DVD format. HD DVD media are read at 2x speed. DVD
    minus and DVD plus media can be read at up to 8x DVD speed, as well as
    rewritable and dual-layer DVDs.

    It can also read DVD-RAMs at 5x speed. Finally, the HD-DVD Multireader
    delivers a convincing 32x CD speed as CD-ROM drive. The new HD DVD
    standard enables a storage capacity of up to 64 GB – which is over 13
    times greater than that of a conventional DVD – as well as 16 hours of
    recording and playback in HD quality.

    HD-DVD – greater storage capacity for films, High Definition TV and
    data

    The HD-DVD is comparable to the DVD. The difference is that blue
    instead of red laser light is used. The advantage of using blue laser
    light is that it has considerably shorter wavelengths. This light is
    much easier to concentrate via optical lenses, which means that the
    data can be written to the disk at a far higher density. As a result,
    much more data can be stored on a HD-DVD medium.

    An HD-DVD can store 15 GB per layer. A double-sided HD-DVD can store
    up to 60 GB on two layers. The rewritable HD DVD-RWs offer 20 GB
    (single-layer) or 32 GB (dual-layer) storage capacity, which means up
    to 64 GB on double-sided media.

    The HD DVD is capable of storing large-format, high-resolution cinema
    films, despite the vast amount of data involved, on media the size of
    DVDs or CDs. Leading entertainment industry enterprises have announced
    that they plan to market films on HD DVD.

    Almost 100 films have now been selected for HD DVD format, such as
    'Batman Begins,', 'Million Dollar Baby', 'Alexander', 'Ocean's Twelve'
    and 'The Bourne Supremacy'. Classic movies such as '12 Monkeys',
    'Forrest Gump' and 'Harry Potter' are also among the chosen films.

    The HR-1100A will be available in the market in January 2006, at a
    price tag of €500 (£341).

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000377056810/

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    I love this article. This $500 *reader* will be available from October
    onwards, yet "will be available to the market in January, 2006." Nice.

    ..
    Alpha, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Allan

    Allan Guest

    The "October" comment comes from the folks over at DVDrecordable... it
    is not part of the original press release.

    Allan, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Allan

    teem Guest

    they should stick to golf outings,my 1st nec pc was crap.On Wed, 31
    Aug 2005 23:59:34 -0400, Allan

    teem, Sep 3, 2005