NEC PC Zoran DVD decoder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob Peterson, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    After spending the better part of an hour searching google and various
    websites for an answer, I thought I might try here next.

    I have a NEC ready PC that I recently upgraded from W98 to WinXP.

    Generally I'm quite pleased with this upgrade, however, my DVD player no
    longer works.

    NEC no longer supports these old computers having shutdown their home PC
    division some time ago and claimed they had transferred support to
    priorityone.

    priority one wants big chunks of change for any actual help they give (like
    $4/hour), with no actual guarantee they can help.

    I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with this issue, or
    even a web site I might go to for info. So far all the DVD websites that
    google turned up seem to be either hacker oriented or trying to sell stuff.

    I'd just like my existing DVD drive to work.
    Bob Peterson, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    "paul s" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:39:52 -0500, Bob Peterson wrote:
    >
    > > After spending the better part of an hour searching google and various
    > > websites for an answer, I thought I might try here next.
    > >
    > > I have a NEC ready PC that I recently upgraded from W98 to WinXP.
    > >
    > > Generally I'm quite pleased with this upgrade, however, my DVD player no
    > > longer works.
    > >
    > > NEC no longer supports these old computers having shutdown their home PC
    > > division some time ago and claimed they had transferred support to
    > > priorityone.
    > >
    > > priority one wants big chunks of change for any actual help they give

    (like
    > > $4/hour), with no actual guarantee they can help.
    > >
    > > I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with this issue,

    or
    > > even a web site I might go to for info. So far all the DVD websites

    that
    > > google turned up seem to be either hacker oriented or trying to sell

    stuff.

    > > I'd just like my existing DVD drive to work.

    > Windows XP and Zoran DVD decoder boards, ain't gonna happen. If your
    > processor is upto it, investigate software decoders like Power-DVD or
    > VideoLanClient www.vlc.org. Or get a DVD decoder board that is supported
    > on XP, like a Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus.

    As best I can tell my decoder is a piece of software rather than a hardware
    decoder. It seems like the zoran software decoder may be out of date. Its
    called "softdvd".

    Bob Peterson, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Bob Peterson

    paul s Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:09:11 -0500, Bob Peterson wrote:

    > As best I can tell my decoder is a piece of software rather than a
    > hardware decoder. It seems like the zoran software decoder may be out
    > of date. Its called "softdvd".

    Yup that's definately a software decoder which is now discontinued. Just
    find a software decoder that do work on XP. Cyberlink's PowerDVD and
    InterVideo's WinDVD both work perfectly, if you want a good free one then
    try VideoLanClient.

    --
    Paul S
    - "How does that damned three seashell thing work?" -
    paul s, Aug 18, 2003