neat search engine trick

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by default, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. default

    default Guest

    I may be the only one on the planet who didn't know about this - if
    so, forgive me for wasting your time.
    http://blog.awswebshop.com/2006/10/15/turn-google-into-your-own-personal-free-napster/

    There's a lot of good information on the page - but this is what seems
    like a winner and could be applied to other custom searches.

    You create a keyword search without typing in a lot of additional
    search terms each time you want to do that type of search. This is an
    example of a mp3 search that looks at indexes of mp3's

    "It’s easy to turn this into something easy to use in firefox with the
    built-in keyword search.

    In your firefox bookmarks, create a new bookmark with the following
    fields:

    Name: google music search
    Location:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...description +size +(wma|mp3) "%s"&btnG=Search
    keyword: gms

    The location is the same as what gets generated by the search in the
    article, but I’ve replaced Nirvana with %s (the firefox substitution
    token).

    Now, when you want to find a new artist/song, just go to your firefox
    toolbar and type “gms Led Zeppelin” and you’ll see all the free Led
    Zep tunes out there. "

    default, Apr 12, 2007

  2. default

    default Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:36:49 -0400, default <>
    wrote:

    Before someone lambastes me for promoting piracy . . . it is just an
    example of using a keyword / bookmark to make searching simpler and
    avoid repetitive typing.

    default, Apr 12, 2007