NCQ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 17, 2007.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Anyone using a PC with Native Command Queuing (NCQ) enabled? It's supposed
    to be a feature of the SATA II standard but it seems that, at least with
    Intel, only their latest RAID southbridge (ICH9R) supports it. I didn't know
    but I was supposed to do the F6/install RAID drivers on Windows XP setup for
    it to work.

    I found a work-around here:

    http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardw...hout-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r.html

    and after following the instructions, it seems I have it enabled. However, I
    don't notice any difference (not really surprised, I'm told that only
    benchmarking will show the difference). I just wondered if others are using
    it, what their thoughts are etc. My PC has been rock-solid for a couple
    weeks but I got up this morning to a blue-screen. I wondered if it has
    anything to do with NCQ. The cooler hasn't fallen off the CPU or anything.

    (Still waiting for Thermalright's NZ agents to get back to me about getting
    one of these:
    http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_installation_lga775_kit_new.htm I
    don't trust those plastic dohickeys at all.)

    I've been running Stress Prime since I rebooted and all seems to be well
    with the CPU/RAM/Northbridge subsystem which makes the HDD(s) the next
    obvious candidates for the cause of the BSOD this morning. Hence my interest
    in other people's experience of NCQ. I know that. with it enabled, a power
    failure can cause loss of data (if it's in the HDD's cache rather than
    writted to platter). However, I get maybe 2 power failures a year here and
    image my OS partition on a semi-weekly basis so that's not a big deal.

    My HDDs have 16MB cache and NCQ is supposed to be a big advantge. It's one
    of the factors that affected my choice of HDDs and motherboard (and cost me
    extra).

    Thoughts folks?

    TIA
    --