    Using WIN 7 Home.

    Any ideas? If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get the North
    Carolina protection of marriage act:)

    Joe J, Jul 6, 2012

  2. Joe J

    Paul Guest

    Joe J wrote:
    > Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now
    > on boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this file:
    >
    > NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find the
    > correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web service no
    > help.
    >
    > I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be
    > associated with.
    >
    > Using WIN 7 Home.
    >
    > Any ideas? If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get the North
    > Carolina protection of marriage act:)

    Sometimes, when malware is removed, a startup file will get disabled,
    but the AV tool doesn't do proper cleanup. That leaves annoying
    error messages at boot time.

    The file in question is a soft link, so is a "pointer" to some
    other file.

    The file name is "8.3 format". The real file name could be
    quite a bit longer than "NCPROT". You could try searching the
    file system for NCPROT and see if anything with a longer name
    is present.

    All manner of startup items, can be listed with Autoruns from
    Sysinternals. You might take a look with this, and see if
    NCPROT shows up. Autoruns uses easy "tick boxes", to turn
    stuff off. The idea being, you can enable things later if
    you were mistaken. Sysinternals was bought by Microsoft,
    which is why it is hosted there now.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2012

  3. Joe J

    VanguardLH Guest

    Joe J wrote:

    > Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now
    > on boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this
    > file: NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find
    > the correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web
    > service no help.
    >
    > Using WIN 7 Home.

    A .lnk file is a link file aka shortcut. The target for the link no
    longer exists. You deleted the targeted file, uninstalled a program,
    restricted access to the file via permissions or policies, or otherwise
    made the file no longer accessible.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNK_file

    Do a file search on "ncprot". I haven't used Windows search for a long
    time because it hides lots of files so I don't know if it includes .lnk
    files or not. I use FileLocator Lite (aka Agent Ransack) to find all
    files. Once you find the link file, look at its properties. In the
    shortcut's definition is the executable that it loads. Does that
    executable file still exist and in the specified path?

    http://www.processchecker.com/file/NCPROT~1.EXE.html

    Did you install this software (or did it come bundled as part of the
    fluff used to bloat the software package included with a pre-built
    computer)? Did you uninstall this software?

    You can use msconfig.exe to list the Startup items to see if the ncprot
    link (shortcut) is listed there. Alas, msconfig doesn't show all
    locations for startup items. If you don't see it in msconfig, you can
    use SysInternals' AutoRuns (now owned by Microsoft) to list all startup
    items. You can scan through the everything list or do a search on
    "ncprot" to find the startup item.

    > I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be
    > associated with. If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get
    > the North Carolina protection of marriage act:)

    http://www.google.com/search?q=ncprot

    The ProcessChecker hit was the 4th one in the results list that I got.

    VanguardLH, Jul 7, 2012
  4. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    "VanguardLH" wrote in message news:jt7td9$l3m$...

    Joe J wrote:

    > Had to restore my wife's hard drive and it all was successful, but now
    > on boot-up she is getting the error message Windows cannot open this
    > file: NCPROT~2.LNK And then the normal thing -use a web service to find
    > the correct program or select one from the list of programs. Web
    > service no help.
    >
    > Using WIN 7 Home.

    A .lnk file is a link file aka shortcut. The target for the link no
    longer exists. You deleted the targeted file, uninstalled a program,
    restricted access to the file via permissions or policies, or otherwise
    made the file no longer accessible.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNK_file

    Do a file search on "ncprot". I haven't used Windows search for a long
    time because it hides lots of files so I don't know if it includes .lnk
    files or not. I use FileLocator Lite (aka Agent Ransack) to find all
    files. Once you find the link file, look at its properties. In the
    shortcut's definition is the executable that it loads. Does that
    executable file still exist and in the specified path?

    http://www.processchecker.com/file/NCPROT~1.EXE.html

    Did you install this software (or did it come bundled as part of the
    fluff used to bloat the software package included with a pre-built
    computer)? Did you uninstall this software?

    You can use msconfig.exe to list the Startup items to see if the ncprot
    link (shortcut) is listed there. Alas, msconfig doesn't show all
    locations for startup items. If you don't see it in msconfig, you can
    use SysInternals' AutoRuns (now owned by Microsoft) to list all startup
    items. You can scan through the everything list or do a search on
    "ncprot" to find the startup item.

    > I've Goggled but can't locate any info on what this file might be
    > associated with. If I just goggle ncprot w/o the extension, I get
    > the North Carolina protection of marriage act:)

    http://www.google.com/search?q=ncprot

    The ProcessChecker hit was the 4th one in the results list that I got.

    Figured out the problem. It was related to the new Samsung monitor I bought
    for my wife. Used the install CD to reinstall the monitor software and all
    is well now.

    Thanks!

    Joe J, Jul 8, 2012