NBT Part III or Please don't make fun of me.

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. kpg

    kpg Guest

    After several months I have slowly come to accept the
    fact that I was going insane. It's the kind of insanity
    that occurs when you and you alone know what the
    Benevolent Aliens mean by 'Serving Man', but no one
    will listen.

    For months now I have been battling 'disappearing'
    NetBios names. It all started with the 98 boxes, but
    then I got really alarmed when it spread to the XP
    boxes too. All I could do was create LMHost files
    and hard code IP addresses.

    That little blue box called a Linksys router, was acting
    as the DHCP server (as I had planned all along) but
    many months ago, I, for reasons unknown to me now,
    set the IP lease time to 6 months! (259200 minutes to
    be exact). As a direct result of that ill-fated decision
    the DHCP server, alas, ran out of IP addresses.

    So what did I do? No realizing at the time why I was
    running out of IP addresses, I increased the number of
    available address from 50 to 100! (actually I blamed
    the stupid router) But then I found a machine with an
    IP address of 192.168.1.197 that could not see the
    network. Confused, because IP address really piss me
    off, I lowered the range to 75 and performed a /release
    /renew. It worked.

    For a while.

    Then in a moment of clarity, inspired when three machines
    that I had previously 'fixed' refused to see the network and
    were being assigned private IP addresses, I had an epiphany.

    After careful inspection I noticed the 6 month lease time
    and I set it back to the default 24 hours, did a /release
    /renew on all computers and that solved all my problems.
    Well, not all my problems, but this whole NetBios
    /IPAddress thing anyway.

    I still don't know what NetBios over TCP, running out
    of IP addresses, Master Browsers and valid IP
    address not seeing the network have to do with one
    another, but it all works now, so I will stop trying to
    understand it.

    kp 'there is a moral in there somewhere' g

    kpg, Nov 22, 2004

  2. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    In news:,
    kpg <> rambled:

    > but it all works now, so I will stop trying to understand it.

    This, my friends, is what IT is all about.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 22, 2004

  3. kpg

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "kpg" <> said in

    > I still don't know what NetBios over TCP, running out
    > of IP addresses, Master Browsers and valid IP
    > address not seeing the network have to do with one
    > another, but it all works now, so I will stop trying to
    > understand it.

    your training is complete...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams

    Neil, Nov 22, 2004
  4. kpg

    nerd32768 Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message

    i'm dealing with the same thing, except i'm having problems with novell,
    which is stupid, worthless, unstable, and pointless. The 'professional'
    computer guy at my school quit, and i was his assistant, so now i am the
    head IT person at my school.

    nerd'wtf'32768

    nerd32768, Nov 23, 2004
  5. kpg

    kpg Guest

    "nerd32768" <nerd{nospam}> wrote:>
    > The 'professional'
    > computer guy at my school quit, and i was his assistant, so now i am the
    > head IT person at my school.

    Cool. Ask for Compensation. ;-)

    kpg

    kpg, Nov 23, 2004
  6. nerd32768 wrote:
    > "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >
    > i'm dealing with the same thing, except i'm having problems with
    > novell, which is stupid, worthless, unstable, and pointless. The
    > 'professional' computer guy at my school quit, and i was his
    > assistant, so now i am the head IT person at my school.
    >
    > nerd'wtf'32768

    That's gonna look really good on a resume. 13-year-old head of IT.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Nov 23, 2004
  7. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    In news:,
    FrisbeeĀ® <> rambled:

    > nerd32768 wrote:
    >> "kpg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> i'm dealing with the same thing, except i'm having problems with
    >> novell, which is stupid, worthless, unstable, and pointless. The
    >> 'professional' computer guy at my school quit, and i was his
    >> assistant, so now i am the head IT person at my school.
    >>
    >> nerd'wtf'32768

    > That's gonna look really good on a resume. 13-year-old head of IT.

    I'm gonna go shuffle on back into my hole now. I'm feeling kinda inadequate
    and underacheiving today.

    Thanks Nerd. Really.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 23, 2004
  8. kpg

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "nerd32768" <nerd{nospam}> say in news:
    #:

    > i am the
    > head IT person at my school.

    You've peaked WAAAAAAAYYYYY too early....

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams

    Neil, Nov 23, 2004
  9. kpg

    nerd32768 Guest

    > > That's gonna look really good on a resume. 13-year-old head of IT.
    >
    > I'm gonna go shuffle on back into my hole now. I'm feeling kinda

    inadequate
    > and underacheiving today.
    >
    > Thanks Nerd. Really.
    >
    > --
    >
    > KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26
    >
    > Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    unfortunately, the AP still has to order everything and approve spending,
    and i don't get to be anyone's boss, I'm the only IT person. some things are
    pathetic. there are 1800 people at my school, and i am in charge of ALL the
    computers/terminals(but not the servers :( ). As soon as i work for a
    little bit longer, i am hoping for pay and access to the servers, but that
    hasn't happened yet.

    Nerd"what's that teacher's password?"32768

    nerd32768, Nov 23, 2004
  10. kpg

    kpg Guest

    > Nerd"what's that teacher's password?"32768

    Geez. Here I am the ASM programmer and after all
    this time I just figured out the significance of 32768.

    The ginkgo is helping.

    kp "now if I only knew what jtyc stood for..." g

    kpg, Nov 24, 2004
  11. kpg wrote:
    >> Nerd"what's that teacher's password?"32768

    > Geez. Here I am the ASM programmer and after all
    > this time I just figured out the significance of 32768.
    >
    > The ginkgo is helping.
    >
    > kp "now if I only knew what jtyc stood for..." g

    That one will take a lot longer to figure out.

    --
    Fris "Joan Cusak knows" beeĀ®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Nov 24, 2004
  12. kpg

    nerd32768 Guest

    "kpg" <> wrote in message

    > > Nerd"what's that teacher's password?"32768

    > Geez. Here I am the ASM programmer and after all
    > this time I just figured out the significance of 32768.

    I'm scared now
    !!!!32768!!!!

    that's all that i have memorized. time to start studying again

    Nerd32768
    MCNGP#35

    nerd32768, Nov 24, 2004