    I petition or inquire about that series' status for
    DVD production?

    DK
    Dave King, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Dave King

    jayembee Guest

    "Dave King" <> wrote:

    > NBC seems to be doing well with their DVD releases...
    > Seinfeld DVDs are about to be launched. Will and Grace
    > are releasing their third season. Friends, Season 8 is
    > coming soon.

    I hope you realize that NBC has nothing to do with those
    DVD releases. Most DVDs are issued by the studios that
    produced the shows, not the network that aired them.

    The three titles you mention above, for example, are
    being released from three different home video companies:
    Columbia/Tri-Star (SEINFELD), Lions Gate (WILL & GRACE),
    and Warner Bros. (FRIENDS).

    The only DVDs that NBC is involved in releasing are shows
    that have been produced or co-produced by NBC Studios.
    A couple of such titles, HOMICIDE and PROFILER have been
    licensed out to A&E, and at least one to Lions Gate (the
    KINGPIN mini-series), though I expect that any titles not
    yet licensed will default to Universal, now that NBC and
    Universal are married.

    > Maybe it's just me, but one of my favorite NBC series was
    > Third Rock from the Sun. How could I petition or inquire
    > about that series' status for DVD production?

    3rd ROCK is owned by Carsey-Werner. They've recently gotten
    into a DVD licensing agreement for their titles with Fox
    Home Video. As far as I know, though, the only one ready
    to go is THAT 70's SHOW. If that does well, they'll follow
    it up with THE COSBY SHOW and ROSEANNE. Nothing else has
    been mentioned so far, including 3rd ROCK.

    I don't know what the extent of the agreement is between
    C-W and Fox. That is, if Fox passes on a given series,
    will C-W be able to shop it elsewhere? Still, your best
    bet would be to contact Fox to ask if they have any plans
    for it, and/or suggest it.

    For what it's worth, 3rd ROCK is being released on DVD in
    Britain, by a company called Network. They'd released the
    first two seasons a few months back, with the third season
    due out next week.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Dave King

    M.B. Guest

    Dave King wrote:
    > NBC seems to be doing well with their DVD
    > releases...Seinfeld DVDs are about to be launched.
    > Will and Grace are releasing their third season.
    > Friends, Season 8 is coming soon.
    >
    > Maybe it's just me, but one of my favorite NBC
    > series was Third Rock from the Sun. How could
    > I petition or inquire about that series' status for
    > DVD production?
    >
    > DK

    It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with NBC, just because it
    aired on NBC. Sony owns Seinfeld. Warner Bros. owns Friends. Third
    Rock from the Sun is not owned by NBC either. I think Warner Bros. owns
    that as well, but not for certain on that.
    M.B., Aug 27, 2004