NB2L (Li-Ion) battery intrinsics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Agricolus, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Agricolus

    Agricolus Guest

    Hi people.

    Preparing a trip in a country without electricity, I purchased a series
    of NB2L (equivalent) batteries for my Canon 350D. As I'll have more
    batteries than needed when I return, I would like to recycle them in
    electronics circuits of my design. Something is puzzling me with these
    batteries though:
    a. These Li-Ion batteries have 3 connectors labelled "+", "T" and "-".
    b. The voltage (at full charge) between "+" and "-" is about 8 V
    c. The voltage between "+" and "T" is about 6 V
    d. The voltage between "T" and "-" is 0V !!!!

    I would have expected the voltage measured in d. to be about 2V to
    respect the laws of physics... Thus my questions are:
    1. How can one explain the fact that voltages look inconsistent ?
    2. What could the exact usage of all connectors be (especially the "T")
    ? (Is it a feature of Li-Ion batteries?)
    3. Would it be safe to use only the "+" and "-" in electronic circuits
    ?
    4. Where I could get a detailed description of the batteries internals
    ? (Googling a lot, even for the "offical" Canon NB2L batteries, didn't
    help much.)

    Thanks for any help.

    Agricolus, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Agricolus

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Agricolus

    Agricolus Guest

    Hi Pat.

    Thanks for the link; it indirectly pointed me to the information I
    needed.

    Summarizing: the key link is the following:
    http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/pic/Vcl004.pdf

    The facts seem to be:
    1. The main connectors of the battery are (obviously) "+" and "-".
    2. There is an internal thermistor between "T" and "-" (which is likely
    used by the charger to avoid overheating). The thermistor is in the 10
    kohm range (which I just confirmed with a measurement).
    3. The apparent failure of the laws of physics is simply likely due to
    the internal resistance of my voltmeter (which must hence be in the
    30kohm range... :) ).
    4. For electronics applications, only the "+" and "-" connectors should
    be considered.

    These info seem to be confirmed by a series of postings from Sep 2002
    in the French speaking newsgroup fr.rec.photo.numerique. I will admit
    this is true... and report collapse of expensive equipment is it turns
    out that it was not... ;-)

    Thanks.

    Agricolus, Jan 23, 2006