NB-2L / NB-2LH "1200 mAh" batteries - any real ones?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phil Endecott, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. Dear Experts,

    The NB-2LH battery that came with my camera claims a capacity of 720 mAh.

    On Ebay, and elsewhere, you can buy NB-2L and/or NB-2LH batteries that
    claim much higher capacities, e.g. 1200 mAh. With some skepticisim I
    bought one, and measured the capacity. You can see the results here:

    http://chezphil.org/lithium_battery_exageration/

    It seems to me that the "1200 mAh" battery actually has about half that
    capacity, and less than the original 720 mAh one.

    Any comments? I would be very interested to know if anyone has a "1200
    mAh" NB-2LH that does have this capacity; or are they all exagerated?
    Do the vendors know what they are selling, or have they been misled by
    their suppliers?

    Looking forward to your comments.

    Phil.
    Phil Endecott, Oct 2, 2006

  2. Phil Endecott

    M Q Guest

    Phil Endecott wrote:

    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > The NB-2LH battery that came with my camera claims a capacity of 720 mAh.
    >
    > On Ebay, and elsewhere, you can buy NB-2L and/or NB-2LH batteries that
    > claim much higher capacities, e.g. 1200 mAh. With some skepticisim I
    > bought one, and measured the capacity. You can see the results here:
    >
    > http://chezphil.org/lithium_battery_exageration/
    >
    > It seems to me that the "1200 mAh" battery actually has about half that
    > capacity, and less than the original 720 mAh one.
    >
    > Any comments? I would be very interested to know if anyone has a "1200
    > mAh" NB-2LH that does have this capacity; or are they all exagerated? Do
    > the vendors know what they are selling, or have they been misled by
    > their suppliers?
    >
    > Looking forward to your comments.
    >

    > Phil.

    It may be, as you suspected, incompetence coupled with a lack of
    incentive for anything but. Your 2 x 600 mAh is a good theory
    (probably the best one).
    Another one might be the method of measuring capacity. You chose
    a constant resistive load, rather than constant current or even
    constant power load. Each will produce a different number.
    (I assume you computed the integral of current over time for
    the capacity?). Also, if you discharge a battery much more
    slowly, you may measure a greater capacity. While your 7 volt
    cutoff is reasonable, the chinese engineer may have chosen something
    else.
    M Q, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Phil Endecott

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:49:59 GMT, Phil Endecott wrote:

    > The NB-2LH battery that came with my camera claims a capacity of 720 mAh.
    >
    > On Ebay, and elsewhere, you can buy NB-2L and/or NB-2LH batteries that
    > claim much higher capacities, e.g. 1200 mAh. With some skepticisim I
    > bought one, and measured the capacity. You can see the results here:
    >
    > http://chezphil.org/lithium_battery_exageration/
    >
    > It seems to me that the "1200 mAh" battery actually has about half that
    > capacity, and less than the original 720 mAh one.
    >
    > Any comments? I would be very interested to know if anyone has a "1200
    > mAh" NB-2LH that does have this capacity; or are they all exagerated?
    > Do the vendors know what they are selling, or have they been misled by
    > their suppliers?

    The vendors probably know that they're paying much less for those
    low grade batteries, and probably don't care what is inside them.
    Several months ago I saved some older messages from the dpreview's
    Olympus SLR Talk forum where someone (Jim Attfield, actually) did
    some extensive testing of many Olympus PS-BLM1 battery "clones".
    Sometimes you get what you pay for, as exemplified by the results of
    this battery's test which unfortunately was not an atypical example:

    > [ http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=12850801 ]
    >
    > Following on from my test of the PS-BLM1 clone (which you can find
    > in this thread
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=12803121)
    > I have just completed testing the second clone which I refer to as the
    > 'WT-BLM1', currently sold by SterlingTek.com (amongst others) on ebaY.
    >
    > Disclaimer: findings for personal use only - if your E-1 blows up you'll have
    > to find someone else to blame :)
    > Results of battery test on SterlingTek.com WT-BLM1 clone as follows:
    >
    > Some comments:
    >
    > The circuitry is not at the at battery ends, but is on a PCB sandwiched
    > between the cells and the bottom of the pack. This is a good location for
    > the temperature controlled charge gut-off. Compared to the PS-BLM-1
    > the circuit board is very flimsy, as is the whole case assembly. The cell
    > welds are fewer and poorer, the metal straps thinner and narrower.
    >
    > There is no indication of the manufacturer of the actual cells however
    > they are recent and _clearly_ marked as 1300mAh, I am astonished
    > that this battery can be marked as a 1560mAh item, and to sell it as
    > a 1700mAh item is just laughable, not to mention deceitful.
    >
    > The control board incorporates an SE666 battery voltage monitor IC
    > as in the PS-BLM1 which is supposed to cut the pack off completely
    > at about 5.6 volts thus protecting the cells from over-discharge - mine
    > didn't!
    >
    > The voltage monitor controls what I believe to be a MOSFET power
    > switch to cut off the cells to prevent over-discharge. On this pack,
    > this _failed_ completely, the voltage oscillating between 5.4 and 4.8 volts
    > for a few seconds then continuing to discharge until manually cut off
    > by me at 3 volts.
    >
    > There is no polyfuse, or any other type I can identify, therefore no
    > protection at all against short circuits and potential venting or explosion.
    > Charge control is via an ordinary 10K resistor rather than a proper thermistor.
    >
    > The capacity test shows just over 1200mAh. I should point out that
    > I discharge at around 0.15C instead of 0.1C (i.e. 180mA or so rather
    > than 130mA) for an accelerated time curve. Manufacturers capacities
    > are usually stated at 0.1C discharge rate so I have no problem believing
    > this would achieve the cell's rated 1300mAh but to suggest that these
    > are 1700mAh (or even 1560mAh) is just a joke. The curve covers
    > around 405 minutes.
    >
    > In summary, this is one to _avoid_ at all costs. Construction is poor,
    > charge control is poor, protection is non-existent and over-discharge
    > protection is questionable (failed on my sample). Get the PS-BLM1
    > instead, it lacks a few mAh capacity in comparison but more than
    > makes up for it in other areas.
    > Jim

    In short, the batteries you've bought on eBay are may be of even
    poorer quality and construction than the shoddy SterlingTek battery
    tested here.

    Note: This doesn't mean that all SterlingTek batteries are
    comparable to the one tested. Some other models may be better, some
    worse, and the same would be true for the same exact PS-BLM1 clones,
    as unlike genuine Olympus batteries, the ones SterlingTek sells
    probably vary from month to month, depending on who they choose for
    their current suppliers and what they're willing to pay for them.
    ASAAR, Oct 2, 2006
  4. > It seems to me that the "1200 mAh" battery actually has about half that
    > capacity, and less than the original 720 mAh one.

    Interesting. Your test pretty much verified what I'd found myself just from
    seat-of-the-pants testing (use in camera). It seemed that my 1200mah
    SterlingTek was giving me about 75% of the battery life of the stock 720mah
    Canon units.

    The other issue with the SterlingTek battery is that it sometimes doesn't
    want to charge. Don't know why, but sometimes I have to remove it from the
    charger and reinstall it three times before it will actually charge.
    Contacts are clean, and never an issue with my two Canon batteries.

    The only reason we even consider falling for claims of 1200mah capacity is
    probably because we've seen such dramatic improvements in NiMH AA batts over
    the years (2700mah now being pretty common, vs 1600mah for a "premium"
    battery not all that long ago).

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Oct 3, 2006
  5. Phil Endecott

    ban2b

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    no hi-capacity nb 2lh

    No hi-capacity nb 2lh, You can try google product search and order by price. It may be other original Hi-capacity compatible for the nb 2lh, Like bp 511A has more capacity then bp 511
    Even 1450mah battery is released like digital-camera-batteries.net ,but it is just 3rd party nb 2lh battery.
    ban2b, Sep 11, 2009