    WTF????
    *Directly* from their site!
    Yet more buggy software from them??

    Robert Baer, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Robert Baer

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Yet more buggy software from them??

    It's your money. The best anti-virus programs are free. I see no need to
    pay for the pay for ones.

    Plato, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > Yet more buggy software from them??

    > It's your money. The best anti-virus programs are free. I see no need to
    > pay for the pay for ones.

    So, is there a known problem with their "intelligent updaters" now?

    Robert Baer, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    > >
    > > Yet more buggy software from them??

    > It's your money. The best anti-virus programs are free. I see no need to
    > pay for the pay for ones.

    It gets more wierd..I downloaded their most recent "intelligent
    updater" (Feb 5), and it works in Win2K, but has the same failure mode
    in Win98SE.
    Clues, anyone?

    Robert Baer, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Robert Baer

    rt Guest

    Robert Baer wrote in message <>...
    > So, since the autoupdate feature does not work in my version of
    >NortonAntiVirus, i have been downloading their "intelligent updater".
    > However, as of the Feb 2 copy, not only has the icon changed, but it
    >does not work, giving a message like "This package is not signed with a
    >valid Synmantec signature. This intelligent updater package cannot
    >continue installing".
    > WTF????
    > *Directly* from their site!
    > Yet more buggy software from them??

    I'm having the same problem using Win98 1st ed. The last one that I was able
    to use was 20050130-005-i32.exe which I istalled on 01/31/05.
    My system slows down when I try any of the new updaters. When I right click
    on them and try to either open or delete them, it takes about 45 seconds
    before the context menu opens. I tried 20050203-008-i32.exe and
    20050205-009-i32.exe. Both of them have smaller file sizes than
    20050130-005-i32.exe, which I assume means something is missing, given that
    the file sizes normally get larger as new definitions are added. I right
    clicked the updater files and used "Quick View": the signatures for
    20050203-008-i32.exe and 20050130-005-i32.exe are the same as
    20050130-005-i32.exe, so I don't understand why the Feb 3 and Feb 5 updaters
    wont work. I'm using NAV version 4.08. Maybe Symantic has stopped supporting
    it.
    rt

    rt, Feb 6, 2005
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    rt wrote:

    > Robert Baer wrote in message <>...
    > > So, since the autoupdate feature does not work in my version of
    > >NortonAntiVirus, i have been downloading their "intelligent updater".
    > > However, as of the Feb 2 copy, not only has the icon changed, but it
    > >does not work, giving a message like "This package is not signed with a
    > >valid Synmantec signature. This intelligent updater package cannot
    > >continue installing".
    > > WTF????
    > > *Directly* from their site!
    > > Yet more buggy software from them??

    > I'm having the same problem using Win98 1st ed. The last one that I was able
    > to use was 20050130-005-i32.exe which I istalled on 01/31/05.
    > My system slows down when I try any of the new updaters. When I right click
    > on them and try to either open or delete them, it takes about 45 seconds
    > before the context menu opens. I tried 20050203-008-i32.exe and
    > 20050205-009-i32.exe. Both of them have smaller file sizes than
    > 20050130-005-i32.exe, which I assume means something is missing, given that
    > the file sizes normally get larger as new definitions are added. I right
    > clicked the updater files and used "Quick View": the signatures for
    > 20050203-008-i32.exe and 20050130-005-i32.exe are the same as
    > 20050130-005-i32.exe, so I don't understand why the Feb 3 and Feb 5 updaters
    > wont work. I'm using NAV version 4.08. Maybe Symantic has stopped supporting
    > it.
    > rt

    ...or maybe they are becoming more like Micro$uck -- adding "features"
    and thus more bugs.

    According to the info on their site, the only thing i see with 4.* is
    "Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine for Windows NT Server 4.0" ...
    But they do list what i have.
    Try re-running one of the older updaters if you still have it and see
    if it bombs.
    I am beginning to think that a virus has snuck in that is NAV
    specific, and maybe it came from them.

    Robert Baer, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Plato wrote:
    > >
    > > Robert Baer wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Yet more buggy software from them??

    > > It's your money. The best anti-virus programs are free. I see no need to
    > > pay for the pay for ones.

    > So, is there a known problem with their "intelligent updaters" now?

    Get a new shoe from Maxwell Smart.

    Robert Baer, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Robert Baer

    rt Guest

    Robert Baer wrote in message <>...
    >rt wrote:
    >>
    >> Robert Baer wrote in message <>...
    >> > So, since the autoupdate feature does not work in my version of
    >> >NortonAntiVirus, i have been downloading their "intelligent updater".
    >> > However, as of the Feb 2 copy, not only has the icon changed, but it
    >> >does not work, giving a message like "This package is not signed with a
    >> >valid Synmantec signature. This intelligent updater package cannot
    >> >continue installing".
    >> > WTF????
    >> > *Directly* from their site!
    >> > Yet more buggy software from them??

    >> I'm having the same problem using Win98 1st ed. The last one that I was

    able
    >> to use was 20050130-005-i32.exe which I istalled on 01/31/05.
    >> My system slows down when I try any of the new updaters. When I right

    click
    >> on them and try to either open or delete them, it takes about 45 seconds
    >> before the context menu opens. I tried 20050203-008-i32.exe and
    >> 20050205-009-i32.exe. Both of them have smaller file sizes than
    >> 20050130-005-i32.exe, which I assume means something is missing, given

    that
    >> the file sizes normally get larger as new definitions are added. I right
    >> clicked the updater files and used "Quick View": the signatures for
    >> 20050203-008-i32.exe and 20050130-005-i32.exe are the same as
    >> 20050130-005-i32.exe, so I don't understand why the Feb 3 and Feb 5

    updaters
    >> wont work. I'm using NAV version 4.08. Maybe Symantic has stopped

    supporting
    >> it.
    >> rt

    >..or maybe they are becoming more like Micro$uck -- adding "features"
    >and thus more bugs.
    >
    > According to the info on their site, the only thing i see with 4.* is
    >"Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine for Windows NT Server 4.0" ...
    > But they do list what i have.
    > Try re-running one of the older updaters if you still have it and see
    >if it bombs.
    > I am beginning to think that a virus has snuck in that is NAV
    >specific, and maybe it came from them.

    There's another thread about the same problem at
    symantec.customerservice.general.

    Subject:antivirus update problem
    date: 01/27/05
    from: JF

    The article about zip file types is interesting. I'm hoping the problem is
    gpoing to be cleared up. I recall a couple of years ago when I couldn't
    login at Symantec ftp and had to do the updates from their web site. That
    clearded up in a couple of weeks. I'll give it another week or so, if the
    updates still don't work, i think I'll try AVG free edition. BTW, I didn't
    try installing an older update. I didn't want to take a chance on not being
    able to reinstall the 1/30 update.
    rt

    rt, Feb 7, 2005